PDA

View Full Version : Results of the 4311 and L-100 showdown

SUPERBEE
09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
We did a side by side comparison of the 4311's and the L-100's. Same amp, same room, same placement and the L-100's sounded just a bit better.

Go figure.

bigstereo
09-14-2006, 08:27 PM
:hmm: I have both in my living room and have played both pairs with the same two amps and a 9090db. At times I use the 9090db as a pre amp, and other times I use an Adcom pre amp. I've always been more fond of the 4311's sound. And they seem to be able to handle more of what the PL 400 can dish out. However, I'm not sure if I had the exact same placement every time. Maybe I'll unhook the Centurys that I listened to today on two different amps and put the 4311's in their place this week end. To me the 4311's sound a little cleaner than the L100's.

RJ

Zilch
09-14-2006, 08:38 PM
It makes NO sense, doesn't it?

I'd suspect it's driver variability due to age and condition, and how you have them balanced.

The crossovers are slightly different in the different variants, as well.

Isolate the variables and measure them.

You can do it with a Radio Shack SPL meter and tone disc, even.

[Oh, and semi-log graph paper, of course.... ;) ]

Gordzilla
09-15-2006, 05:47 AM
We did a side by side comparison of the 4311's and the L-100's. Same amp, same room, same placement and the L-100's sounded just a bit better.

Go figure.

you just crazy.

Titanium Dome
09-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Don't do it SUPERBEE!

Don't let them try to reason you or shame you out of your opinion. Forget about mics, SPL meters, graphs, etc., and just enjoy. :D

As I often say, "Don't confuse me with facts." :scold:

SUPERBEE
09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Don't do it SUPERBEE!

Don't let them try to reason you or shame you out of your opinion. Forget about mics, SPL meters, graphs, etc., and just enjoy. :D

As I often say, "Don't confuse me with facts." :scold:

As my good friend Tom used to say.....

"I dont know much.........But I know what I like"

I am keeping the L-100s because they look cooler with those wooden grilles and soon the OG blue foam. The 4311's I am passing to my good friend Bok-Choy and I am sure this will make him a JBL convert.

Titanium Dome
09-15-2006, 04:25 PM
As my good friend Tom used to say.....

"I dont know much.........But I know what I like"

I am keeping the L-100s because they look cooler with those wooden grilles and soon the OG blue foam. The 4311's I am passing to my good friend Bok-Choy and I am sure this will make him a JBL convert.

You are the man, twice over. :thmbsup:

Zilch
09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Don't let them try to reason you or shame you out of your opinion. Forget about mics, SPL meters, graphs, etc., and just enjoy. :D OH, I'm sorry, I thought in "Go figure" I detected the glimmer of a spirit of inquiry!

[Never mind.... :p ]

Titanium Dome
09-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I saw him fading away and snatched him back. :dancin:

Zilch
09-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Alas, I fear we shall NEVER conquer the scourge of obdurate subjectivism, then.... :(

Michael Smith
09-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Superbee
My understanding is that Bok Choy is a green asian vegetable,what are you trying to tell us
Regards
Michael

SUPERBEE
09-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Superbee
My understanding is that Bok Choy is a green asian vegetable,what are you trying to tell us
Regards
Michael

I have friends with names like Gordzilla, Rocko, and Bok-Choy.

What can I tell ya.

I will eventually convert all of them to JBL.

Gordzilla
09-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I have friends with names like Gordzilla, Rocko, and Bok-Choy.

What can I tell ya.

I will eventually convert all of them to JBL.

well, being the above mentioned "gordzilla", i do declare that i am a JBL convert!

i presently own three pairs of JBL speakers...

my main ones now being the Alphas.

SUPERBEE got me all three pair.

i am selling the 4311's to another friend of ours to keep the disease spreading.

now if i can find a super-duper clean fisher 500-C to call my own...

SUPERBEE
09-15-2006, 11:24 PM
well, being the above mentioned "gordzilla", i do declare that i am a JBL convert!

i presently own three pairs of JBL speakers...

my main ones now being the Alphas.

SUPERBEE got me all three pair.

i am selling the 4311's to another friend of ours to keep the disease spreading.

now if i can find a super-duper clean fisher 500-C to call my own...

And then after the Fisher it will be some Mcintosh gear............I LOVE how this works.

Gordzilla
09-16-2006, 06:59 AM
well, you already sold me your Mac1700... and after months of searching, i got a cabinet for it. it looks amazing and i will never part with it...

it'll be part of the bedroom set-up when i get the Fisher.

right on!