PDA

View Full Version : New to the JBL club! 4311 newbie questions

Ecstatic Xoul
09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been floating around the forum for a few weeks now, trying to educate myself about older JBL monitors. I'm buying a set of 4311's in the next few days and and wanted to ask for a bit of advice. They're from Craigslist here in Vancouver, Canada and the guy is asking $350 CND ($313 USD). I've attached a picture below; as you can see, they have some stains on the woofer, unmatched housings (term?) on the MF and are missing the badges. He says "they're not the prettiest pair around but are fully functional and recently serviced by X [a good local shop]". He also says the drivers are all matched.

So, is this a good price? Are there any things I should be on the look for when I go see them?

Second question: I want to buy a new amp for them. I have an old Sansui AU-2900 right now which wont put out enough power (i don't think). Can anyone recommend a decent used amp for around $400 or so? Alternatively, I've heard that Bi-amping 4311's is a marriage made in heaven. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
http://d.im.craigslist.org/8S/kK/9Qx1Sy4qkmcGXsvm1KR2NV0dU0Rq.jpg

ps. they do have grilles.

Zilch
09-14-2006, 02:40 PM
You understand that 4311 is the pro version of L100, right?

The assertion that the drivers are matched is TOTAL BS unless he can produce the measurement data on each of them for comparison and verification.

Call "X" and ask what they did to "service" them.

I'm seeing an inverted dome on one midrange, and a dimpled one on the other (the black one).

Frankly, those look like a pretty crappy unmatched pair to me.... :(

I've never tried biamping L100s, but it's unclear to me how that would solve any of their "problems."

You want the actual model numbers of the two midranges so that you can look them up in the LE-5 matrix in the "Technical Reference" forum here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5706

Ecstatic Xoul
09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
thanks, zilch :)

i do know that they're the pro verisons. i gradually figured that out from browsing the forum.

why is it bullshit when he claims they're matched? i re-read the ad and he actually said that the magnets and voice coils are matched, not the drivers. does that make more sense. he also said in a response email to me that he could switch the MF to a matching silver one if i wanted.

i realise they're not the nicest pair around, i guess i'm just wondering if they're worth the price, which seems lower than i've come across on ebay.

the bi-amping would not be designed to "fix the problems" but rather a amp configuration that i've heard works well with 4311's...

any opinions on this pair from others?

Rolf
09-14-2006, 04:03 PM
thanks, zilch :)

i do know that they're the pro verisons. i gradually figured that out from browsing the forum.

why is it bullshit when he claims they're matched? i re-read the ad and he actually said that the magnets and voice coils are matched, not the drivers. does that make more sense. he also said in a response email to me that he could switch the MF to a matching silver one if i wanted.

i realise they're not the nicest pair around, i guess i'm just wondering if they're worth the price, which seems lower than i've come across on ebay.

the bi-amping would not be designed to "fix the problems" but rather a amp configuration that i've heard works well with 4311's...

any opinions on this pair from others?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I would not buy them, at least not to that price. First, as far as I know JBL has never sold "matched" pairs. Why? because with the tolerance in production of the units. Second, I believe (not sure) that one of the mid ranges is not a JBL driver. Third, one of the woofers looks much older than the other.

If you decide to buy them, be prepared to use some money to get them in shape. This said, they are exelent speakers, and can give you many hours of listening pleasure.

Anthony L100
09-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, looks to me like LE5-5 on the right (silver frame) and LE5-10 on left, differing sensitivity, so that's a no go for starters. You could fix 'em up but for $300 odd I think you could do better:o:

edgewound
09-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't pay that either.

They look like they're two different versions of the 4311...or just a collection of close components that were put together.

The mids are different flavors of the LE5. the one on the right looks like an alnico LE5-2, while the left one could be an LE5-12.

The left has obviously been "serviced"...replaced midrange, and reconed woofer and rediaphragmed tweeter. The tweeter is an LE25-2 diaphragm/cone with neoprene style dampening ring, whereas the right one is an LE25 with the foam rubber ring.

It's possible that the woofers are the same model 2213, but I'd check to see if they are both the 2213(alnico) or 2213H(ferrite). either one is fine as long as they match.

The model label foilcal being missing is a BIG minus....offer him $100.00. You can hold out for better examples if you're patient.

Welcome to the insanity....I mean forum.

Good luck and above all, have fun with it.

SUPERBEE
09-14-2006, 07:36 PM
PASS!

There are better pairs out there.

Ecstatic Xoul
09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
wow! thanks so much for all the info, everyone. i knew i'd found the right forum to ask that kind of question!

i can't say i'm happy about the verdict though ... i know there are better pairs out there but they're generally far away from vancouver which means the shipping will be terrible. :(

if i don't buy these ones i'm going to broaden my search beyond 4311's. any advice on which other JBL models people think would be comparable that i could find for around $350?

Zilch
09-14-2006, 08:14 PM
4410 or 4412.

WAY better. :thmbsup:

mech986
09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Maybe consider the L36's for sale on CL Vancouver if they're still available. Need to check for any damage or cracking to the foam surround though, if they're the least bit brittle, knock off $100 to get them properly refoamed.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/ele/204785583.html

JBL L36 Decade speakers -- beautiful sound - $230

Reply to: [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=JBL%20L36%20Decad e%20speakers%20--%20beautiful%20sound%20-%20$230)
Date: 2006-09-08, 3:42PM PDT

Selling my JBL L36 speakers. Reality has set in -- I do not have the room for these in my new apartment. These are excellent speakers, one of the better models JBL ever made, in my opinion. All drivers are perfect; these are a 3-way design, with a 10" Alnico woofer. Great bass, real JBL highs, and vocals that only 3-way can deliver. Cabs are oak veneer, and the grilles are good, and still have the JBL badges.

I'll mail pics if you want them.

Said I'd never part with 'em, but now I'm gonna have to. $230.

Regards,

Bart

Ecstatic Xoul
09-14-2006, 11:44 PM
L36's - they look nice and the price is in my range! how would these stack up against the 4311's? they're smaller i guess (10" vs 12") and 50w as opposed to 75w. what about sound quality, etc?

4410 & 4412 - these look nice. they must be later models, yes? how do they compare to the 4311's, zilch? the 12's seem much more powerful for example...

Zilch
09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
4410 & 4412 - these look nice. they must be later models, yes? how do they compare to the 4311's, zilch? the 12's seem much more powerful for example...The 4400 series are true Studio Monitors, accurate to the point of sounding "dry" to some. 4410 is the "warmer" of the two I'm recommending.

4311s are, uhmmm, L100s. Inaccurate, "forward" in the midrange, boomy in the bass, lacking both low and high frequency extension. Compare the frequency response curves of the 4410 and 4412 to the one I posted above for 4311.

More info on the differences here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4408

None of this means you wouldn't like any of them, tho. You've gotta figure that part out for yourself.... ;)

Ecstatic Xoul
09-15-2006, 10:47 AM
i've heard this assessment of the 4311's before. as someone who is definitely not an audiophile but who appreciates a good sounding system i'm unsure about how noticable these differences will be.

my main concern right now is how good any of these speakers will sound to me coming from the Boston Acoustics and (70s) Sansui land that i live in now. are JBLs from this era going to be a big improvement, period? am i moving into another league here? or will i find myself bothered by "forward" mids and the like?

also, how different are the 4310/1/2's from the L100? really noticable differences?

Ecstatic Xoul
09-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Maybe consider the L36's for sale on CL Vancouver if they're still available. Need to check for any damage or cracking to the foam surround though, if they're the least bit brittle, knock off $100 to get them properly refoamed.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/ele/204785583.html

JBL L36 Decade speakers -- beautiful sound - $230

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-09-08, 3:42PM PDT

Selling my JBL L36 speakers. Reality has set in -- I do not have the room for these in my new apartment. These are excellent speakers, one of the better models JBL ever made, in my opinion. All drivers are perfect; these are a 3-way design, with a 10" Alnico woofer. Great bass, real JBL highs, and vocals that only 3-way can deliver. Cabs are oak veneer, and the grilles are good, and still have the JBL badges.

I'll mail pics if you want them.

Said I'd never part with 'em, but now I'm gonna have to. $230.

Regards,

Bart

just got this email from him:

Foam surrounds on the woofer were replaced about 2 1/2 years ago -- these do indeed go every 15-20 years. The mids do not have foam surrounds. Tweeters are in perfect shape -- caps and foam dampers are intact and perfect. Cabinets are nice, grilles are nice.

is $230 a good price?
any other issues to watch for?
are there any fans of the L36 on the board?

mech986
09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
just got this email from him:

Foam surrounds on the woofer were replaced about 2 1/2 years ago -- these do indeed go every 15-20 years. The mids do not have foam surrounds. Tweeters are in perfect shape -- caps and foam dampers are intact and perfect. Cabinets are nice, grilles are nice.

is $230 a good price?
any other issues to watch for?
are there any fans of the L36 on the board?

Many people like the L36 because its a bit more neutral sounding speaker, especially in the mids. The bass will not be overwhelming since it does employ a smaller woofer, but I'd say the key here is balance, especially in its size range and price point. The price is pretty good and in the ballpark. You might be able to get him to go to $200 if you flash the money.

See the following threads for opinions and relative pricing from a L36 search of threads:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11540&highlight=l36

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7037&highlight=l36

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7001&highlight=l36
L40's are another option and typically are less expensive (2 way). All depends on time and money and condition. (and finding them nearby!)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6559&highlight=l36

Whatever you choose, All of these JBL's are good speakers. For the money, you'll get something that sounds good and holds its resale value too. Good Luck!!!

Regards,

Bart

Zilch
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
also, how different are the 4310/1/2's from the L100? really noticable differences?The mirror-imaged ones are better. The ones with the "real" crossover are better.

i've heard this assessment of the 4311's before. as someone who is definitely not an audiophile but who appreciates a good sounding system i'm unsure about how noticable these differences will be.

Someone has you convinced L100 et. seq. is "the thing."

If you want accurate-sounding speakers, they're out of the running.

If you don't believe the numbers, or JBL's own published comparative analysis, put any of those up against 4412(A) and listen.

[I understand now why Bo gave up the cause.... :p ]

bigstereo
09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
On that note.................
Zilch, wanna rebuild my early version L100 xo's for me?

RJ

Zilch
09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Zilch, wanna rebuild my early version L100 xo's for me?The L100 raffle thread shows what needs to be done. PM me about it, if you like.

The potential cost of having me do it will serve as your incentive.... ;)

Ecstatic Xoul
09-15-2006, 12:36 PM
[quote=Zilch]
Someone has you convinced L100 et. seq. is "the thing."
quote]

Ha ha! true enough! i discovered the 4311's on craigslist a few months back and have been getting steadily more obsessive about having found "the thing" without ever having heard them!

thanks to everyone for all the advice; i think the L-36's are going to be the ones i end up buying. the price is right and i've heard L-40s recently and liked them, so the idea of a slightly "better" speaker in that range is appealing.

plus, in all honesty, the 4311's were WAAY too big for my 350 s/f apartment anyway! :blink:

Ecstatic Xoul
09-16-2006, 04:17 PM
one last question:

now that i've decided on the L-36's, i'm itching to upgrade my amp. looking to spend around $300-400, buying used. here are the contenders so far:

Bryston 2B
Bryston 2B-LP
Rotel 1050
Carver (don't know the various models yet)
NAD 2200/2400 (one of the power envelope ones)

any advice on their respective quality and what will work well with the L-36's? i'm not familar with any of them, they were recommended by a friend as good amps in the price range for JBL's.