PDA

View Full Version : Repairing/cleaning LE85

dmtp
09-12-2006, 06:32 AM
I know this is a newbie question, but I just removed the H91 horn from my LE85 (in preparation for installing the 500Hz Tractrix horn i am turning - pics to follow) and peered down the bore. It looks like there is some dust or lint down there, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Is there a screen down there?
Anyway, I'm thinking about opening the beast up and seeing if it needs cleaning or whatever, but I have some hesitation about diving into a working unit (I did a freq resp curve with the H91 on and it looks reasonable). Am I just being chicken? Are there things I should know before opening it up? (Like what NOT to do!) Any advice appreciated before I tackle this project.
THANKS!

57BELAIRE
09-12-2006, 08:02 AM
There should be a fine mesh screen at the end of the throat that protects the innards from dust, dirt and the occasional crawling critter. There is also a foam damping pad affixed to the rear cover. Unfortunately, this foam usually suffers from the same age-related malady as the foam damping rings on the LE25's...if they are touched they disintegrate.

I personally wouldn't open a working driver (assuming the seals are in place) unless absolutely necessary....

but what the hell ".life is short, eat dessert first, I always do!":applaud:

dmtp
09-12-2006, 08:12 AM
OK, more dumb questions: Is it OK to blow (compresed air or some type of cleaning spray) or vacuum the screen? (without taking things apart)

edgewound
09-12-2006, 08:58 AM
OK, more dumb questions: Is it OK to blow (compresed air or some type of cleaning spray) or vacuum the screen? (without taking things apart)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't blow compressed air into a good driver...you'll most likely cause damage the diaphragm/voice coil assy.

Best to clean the throat with a small paint brush, pulling any dust outward.
The only time to blow compressed air through it is when it's apart to replace a diaphragm.

Here's a "Cliff's Notes" version of driver prep/diaphragm replacement:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110400#post110400

Zilch
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I clean compression driver throats using the micro vacuum tool with brush attachment posted several times in these forums. About $15 at your local vacuum store or on the internet, with hose, adapter, and 5 or 6 different little tools.

[Also works on my keyboard and mouse.... :) ]