PDA

View Full Version : Booming Bass...Collapsing lungs

edgewound
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey all...

For some reason...call me twisted...whatever...I find this article to be rather amusing...wait...no....Hilarious. A Darwin Award should have been handed out if it wasn't. It's from a recent article in my local newspaper...regarding car stereo.

Article Launched: 08/28/2006 12:00:00 AM PDT
Driving legends unfold
Michelle Groh-Gordy, Correspondent
Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo? Did the wife of singer James Brown really try to get out of a traffic citation by claiming she had diplomatic immunity because her husband had been given the honorary title "Ambassador of Soul"? Can putting a banana in a vehicle's tailpipe cause it to stall?
These are just a few of the titillating urban driving legends that have been repeated so many times and appear to be so outrageous that you can't help but wonder whether they're true.
Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo?
If breathing is high on your priority list, then you better keep your car stereo turned down. According to a 2004 report in the medical journal Thorax, four young men died when their lungs collapsed due to the booming bass from extraordinarily loud music.
One of the men had customized his car with a 1,000-watt sound system. According to the report, the quartet's lungs ruptured when thundering bass caused their lungs to vibrate at the same frequency as the music. Just a suggestion: Someone might want to shoot a memo about this off to MTV's "Pimp My Ride."

Hoerninger
09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Once I saw in a TV show a van with six big woofers in the back. It was a sort of challange ... who has the loudest ...They measured over 140 db within the car. The "testers" were wise enough to stay outside. :mad:

Baron030
09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
My favorite story is, the myth about the "Brown Note".:rotfl:

The story of the Brown Note, also known as the “Disco Dump,” asserts the existence of a low frequency vibration which, when reproduced at sufficient volume, resonates with the depths of the human digestive tract to cause what medical personnel call “involuntary gastrointestinal motility.” Put in less technical terms, the Brown Note reputedly precipitates a loss of sphincter control, giving rise to immediate defecation. Different versions of the myth place the frequency between 5 and 20 Hz, and recent variations claim that the effect has been produced at loud rock concerts.

Go to following for more details: http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

Then again, maybe it's not a myth, Mayersound was not using JBL speakers.

Phil H
09-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Intersting news about the bass music and rupteured lungs. Some information can be found online. The journal artcle abstact is free, but I think they want money to read the article. BBC news has a nice article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3614180.stm
http://thorax.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/59/8/722?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=concert+&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

On a brown note, wikipeida has an article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

morbo!
09-05-2006, 07:47 PM

I think this myth started from tesla`s massage machine

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/45920/Nikola_Tesla.html

He apparently had a machine that you couldn not stay on for more than 3 minets
I read i a book on him
That said the machine was so pleasant
Mark twain refused to come down and he ended up crapping him self
not actually a note but a frequancy (infrasonic or otherwise)

Anthony L100
09-06-2006, 12:29 AM

Put in less technical terms, the Brown Note reputedly precipitates a loss of sphincter control, giving rise to immediate defecation.

Never drive your sphincter below it's resonant frequency:D

Magnet3
09-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Great article Edge!

JBL 4645
09-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Man you’ve made my skin crawl with that opening remake for this topic! I wouldn’t muck around with sound too much the FBI uses it as an acoustic weapon to get the drug dealers out of there house with a baby scream played at 140db in reverse!:blink: :(

louped garouv
09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
...the FBI uses it as an acoustic weapon to get the drug dealers out of there house with a baby scream played at 140db in reverse...

is this true?

i have a record, A Child’s Cry - A Clue To Diagnosis, it was used to help diagnose irregular infant coughs... put out by a drug company, I think phizer, in the 60s (I think)

http://waxidermy.com/2006/08/29/a-childs-cry-a-clue-to-diagnosis/

Baron030
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by JBL 4645
...the FBI uses it as an acoustic weapon to get the drug dealers out of there house with a baby scream played at 140db in reverse...

Actually, this is no joke.
The FBI and our U.S. troops really do have a sound weapon.
The device is called a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD.
And it was developed by American Technology Corp. of San Diego

Here is a link to a story about this new device:
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040307-120634-6220r.htm

JBLRaiser
09-07-2006, 04:57 AM

The story of the Brown Note, also known as the “Disco Dump,” asserts the existence of a low frequency vibration which, when reproduced at sufficient volume, resonates with the depths of the human digestive tract to cause what medical personnel call “involuntary gastrointestinal motility.” Put in less technical terms, the Brown Note reputedly precipitates a loss of sphincter control, giving rise to immediate defecation. Different versions of the myth place the frequency between 5 and 20 Hz, and recent variations claim that the effect has been produced at loud rock concerts.

Go to following for more details: http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

Then again, maybe it's not a myth, Mayersound was not using JBL speakers.

Man, you gotta be shittin' me.

KenWH
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey all...

For some reason...call me twisted...whatever...I find this article to be rather amusing...wait...no....Hilarious. A Darwin Award should have been handed out if it wasn't. It's from a recent article in my local newspaper...regarding car stereo.

Article Launched: 08/28/2006 12:00:00 AM PDT
Driving legends unfold
Michelle Groh-Gordy, Correspondent
Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo? Did the wife of singer James Brown really try to get out of a traffic citation by claiming she had diplomatic immunity because her husband had been given the honorary title "Ambassador of Soul"? Can putting a banana in a vehicle's tailpipe cause it to stall?
These are just a few of the titillating urban driving legends that have been repeated so many times and appear to be so outrageous that you can't help but wonder whether they're true.
Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo?
If breathing is high on your priority list, then you better keep your car stereo turned down. According to a 2004 report in the medical journal Thorax, four young men died when their lungs collapsed due to the booming bass from extraordinarily loud music.
One of the men had customized his car with a 1,000-watt sound system. According to the report, the quartet's lungs ruptured when thundering bass caused their lungs to vibrate at the same frequency as the music. Just a suggestion: Someone might want to shoot a memo about this off to MTV's "Pimp My Ride."

In my younger(and stupider:p ) days back when I was into competiton car audio big time, I sat in several vehicles that would hit north of 150db's(my truck would only do low 130's as it was setup more for sq). Although my lungs didn't collapse while in the 150+db vehicles...it was however very hard to breath when the db's really started climbing. Even with ear protection it would make my ears/head feel stuffy and made my sinus' ache. The pressure sorta felt like my head was in a vise. Not to mention you could feel your insides vibrating...but no loss of sphincter control;) .

Most competiton spl cars don't do low freq's that well. Mostly higher frequency bass it what they are after, but it can still hurt ya though.

Man I love BASS!!!:applaud:

QwertyAccess
09-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Partly skimming through it, but has anyone ever mentioned
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/reson.html
Natural Resonance Frequencies?

SETriode
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
The LRADs are pretty sweet, I believe they even make a commercial version for museums and the like to provide audio information on exibits or pieces , but only when you're standing under or directly infront of the "speaker" is any sound audible(anyone thinkin what I'm thinkin?). The military ones on the other hand are something like 10000 times more powerful than those and thats whats being used for borders, stand offs, iraq etc.

And as far as death by SPLs go Germany did develop one of them thingys back in WWII. It would basically cause your heart and head to explode the pressure was something like being pulled 50 or 100 feet under water and back up again 30 or 60 times per second. Not sure of the specs but it was a sweet looking woofer.

Ducatista47
09-07-2006, 09:22 PM
This thread has turned ironic for me. I love audio so much, and here it is being turned into a military & police weapon. Like braining someone with a statue of the Buddha.

I do remember reading about Tesla's vibrating platform. He used a small cylindrical machine powered by compressed air to generate the subsonic waves, coupling it to the platform mechanically. The laxative effect was created by a very specific frequency, if I remember right.

I admire Tesla to an almost unlimited degree. Anyone who could imagine and visualize rotating magnetic fields in his head when none existed was way beyond "normal" genius. Not a modest man, he considered himself apart from other inventors, regarding himself as a discoverer.

For what it is worth, my junior high science project was a large Tesla coil built from Popular Science plans. It had a beautiful 811A tube with a plate cap, the largest tube I have ever personally used. I warned you all that I grew up with an Allied Industrial Catalog and the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Geek spoken here...

Clark in Peoria

SETriode
09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Well at least the LRAD's are being used as an alternative means to just shooting someone. So their hearts are the right place some of the time maybe. Orginally the inventor of the LRAD's wanted to make a device that projected sound like a flashlight projects light. Now given the fact that this had never been done before he was gonna need a little bit of cash for R&D and who better to go to than the US gov? Also the smaller units for museums and such are 1'x1' and bout a half inch thick! I can't wait till they start making them for home audio!!!

http://www.holosonics.com/index.html

Hoerninger
09-08-2006, 08:17 AM
It's available. At the Expo in Hannover I heard it, it has an extreme sharp beam. It doesn't bend the laws of physics, it works with ultrasound.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/09859

QwertyAccess
09-09-2006, 06:58 PM
While im trying to make the listen area bigger, people are making it smaller, i wonder how that sounds.. Anyone find a picture on that WWII weapon of sound?

Eminent Tech TRW 17 - The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World!
http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/eminent-tech-trw-17-the-most-powerful-subwoofer-in-the-world.php

Mmm.. turning an attic into a infrasonic-subwoofer box, that might be fun

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/index.htm
That thing looks like it spins?... Well i guess a fan does move more air then a woofer >_>

KenWH
09-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Rotorary subs have been around in one form or another for awhile. Phoenix Gold had the Cyclone for caraudio use at least 10yrs ago. It still needed a box though: http://www.phoenixgold.com/webfaq/cyclone.htm

QwertyAccess
09-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Heh wonder how w ell it works, looks kinda neat anyway, hard to imagine how it moves though, my eye says it spins, but.. :confused:

Ducatista47
09-10-2006, 10:03 AM
The attic installation makes me nervous as a homeowner. My instincts are telling me one hz at decent power levels is not good for a house's structural integrity. I picture flooring and wall cracks at the very least.

When I was much younger I was mowing our family lawn and happened to be looking at the roof when a large sonic boom occured. The roof visibly flexed!

To explain, in the late fifties, I think it was, B-58 Hustlers were flown weekly down the length of lake michigan at supersonic speeds. The topography resembles that of the bombing run to a prime military target in the then Soviet Union. We never knew exactly when they would happen, but it was the same day every week. It was really, really loud, like an F111 at least.

Even more off topic :D, does the name Thomas Ferebee ring a bell? He is the man who flew the Enola Gay to the target and dropped the Hiroshima bomb. When a plane using a Norden bombsight made a bombing run, the bombardier flew the plane using the controls on the bombsight. The pilot would tell the bombardier he had the airplane and take his hands off the yoke. The pilot's controls then moved as if on autopilot. (Don't look for that now, as fly by wire is upon us.) So...Ferebee, not Tibbets, flew the plane that dropped the bomb. He was the one aircrew member aboard who did not know what he was dropping. http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:08TJtcC2mBUJ:www.goodbyemag.com/mar00/ferebee.html+thomas+ferebee&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

I know, I'd have to discuss what I had for breakfast to be any more off topic. But I'm going to research this company to seek the answer to my watts needed for what hz at equal perceived spl question.

Clark in Peoria

JBL 4645
09-24-2008, 05:30 AM
This thread has turned ironic for me. I love audio so much, and here it is being turned into a military & police weapon. Like braining someone with a statue of the Buddha.

I do remember reading about Tesla's vibrating platform. He used a small cylindrical machine powered by compressed air to generate the subsonic waves, coupling it to the platform mechanically. The laxative effect was created by a very specific frequency, if I remember right.

I admire Tesla to an almost unlimited degree. Anyone who could imagine and visualize rotating magnetic fields in his head when none existed was way beyond "normal" genius. Not a modest man, he considered himself apart from other inventors, regarding himself as a discoverer.

For what it is worth, my junior high science project was a large Tesla coil built from Popular Science plans. It had a beautiful 811A tube with a plate cap, the largest tube I have ever personally used. I warned you all that I grew up with an Allied Industrial Catalog and the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Geek spoken here...

Clark in Peoria

In the early morning hours thou not every early night that often occurs just before 5am and lasts for several minutes while being wide in range as this tends to cover a great distance but where is the source location to this, not intrusive sound? Just curious as to why it only happens every few weeks or months apart?

Ducatista47 what does the “Tesla's vibrating platform” look like hmmm? I don’t know if this sound is coming from Hurn airport but at that hour and with no change in the direction of the sound I know it isn’t aircraft or even a helicopter because the pitch doesn’t move around (it only varies up and down) and then goes off! Then it comes back on again!

I was thinking some jokers with mobile 4x4 with tower that can be erected on the back of the vehicle with high powered PA speakers as to what type and some type of sound generator or maybe a laptop computer playing the sound.

Right now I can hear an jet aircraft taking off and thou some tend to have different hollow sounds as its been trusted upwards, this strange sound is different from most. I was really considering it to be an U.F.O. hovering over Bournemouth, somewhere but that’s the nuttiest idea of all.