PDA

View Full Version : D130 CRUMPLED CONE HELP, PLEASE!

steveokla
09-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I just purchased a real nice D130F orange basket on e bay which arrived today. It was packed in a large box filled zealously with lots of soft packing paper--huge amounts to keep the speaker from jostling around.

The box was in first rate condition, but whoever enthusiastically packed it had some of the wads of paper against the cone. Result was some crumpling forward of the paper around the area of the aluminum dust cap. No tears or anthing, just like small folds. Now, I gently massaged the crumples out but there are some small lines/creases where the folds were. I can return the speaker if needed, though that would be very disappointing--it's in spectacular condtion. I guess I might also negotiate something with the seller to have it reconed, but much of the attraction to this speaker is the fact that it's got the original cone, and I'd rather not do that either. Can someone tell me if these slight creases (which may relax overnight) are going to ruin the sound of the speaker or if there's something that can be done about them? Steveokla

Zilch
09-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Pics would help....

steveokla
09-02-2006, 05:30 AM
Understood--I'll try to get some together; however, as I look at it this morning, I doubt anything will show-up on the photos--I''l try nonethless. Thanks, Z, Steve

Rudy Kleimann
09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
That cone is a goner. Don't even need to see pictures to tell you that. That cone will always suffer from cone breakup with a signal driven through it, and it's just a matter of time before the cone rips along the creases. The harder you drive it, the sooner. Could be hours, days, months, but it's a goner. You can count on that.

It can be reconed, but it won't be an original D130 Kit -those are long gone at JBL. Current replacement kit is a E130 Kit of the impedance desired. Current list price is $180 for the kit and $36 labor to install it.

I always instruct the shipper to mount the speaker face-down to a piece of plywood on big drivers; on smaller ones, at least wrap it with a long piece of heavy cardboard 2-3" wider than the frame by placing it face down in the middle of the cardboard and folding the long pieces up and over the back of the magnet. Tape the cardboard together behind the magnet. Then, wrap the whole thing with bubble-wrap before placing into a box with more packing around it on all sides.