PDA

View Full Version : 4301B Info

davew
08-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Hello All - New Poster to the forums

In a past life I used to design Television studios and had the occasion to keep a souvenir or two - in this case a set of 4301Bs I used to use as the primary monitors in my designs. I used these for quite some time until a very nice set of Atlantic Technology THX8200s wooed me away from the JBLs. I figured that someday I put them back into service so I packed them away and haven't paid much attention to them until now.

My wife has been telling me they "aren't worth a thing" and that they should be headed for Craig's list. (Ahhh -- no, I don't think so). So I pulled them out of the nifty place they've hiding for the past 15 years. They are pretty much in mint condition except for the driver foam.

In getting some basic info on the speakers I came across this forum which has some great info on JBL equipment. Kind of wish I kept a few more souvenirs. :D

In any case can someone on the list recommend a place near San Diego that can replace the driver foam?

TIA for any information that comes my direction.

Dave

Zilch
08-30-2006, 01:50 PM
One in San Diego, looks like:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/california.html

Welcome aboard!

Those be lovely monitors. :thmbsup:

Do you have the mounting brackets on yours?

davew
08-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks - looks they want 85.00$ to repair the pair.

No mounting brackets -- wish they did but the reason I have this set was a misshipment. They were supposed to come with brackets and didn't. Couldn't use them in the Studio and when the replacements arrived no one asked to have these returned - After a few months I snapped a leash around them and brought them home. ;)

Thanks again,

Dave

One in San Diego, looks like:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/california.html

Welcome aboard!

Those be lovely monitors. :thmbsup:

Do you have the mounting brackets on yours?

Zilch
08-30-2006, 03:11 PM
$85 is about right for those woofers.

You can DIY for less, but I wouldn't mess with potentially screwing them up.

Be sure to tell them you want the new surrounds mounted on the REAR of the cone, just like the originals. The full recone kit for those is not cheap, if they do it wrong.

Also, the dome is installed inverted, if they have to remove it for alignment.

They'll go just about anywhere with OmniMounts. :thmbsup:

[You know that already, tho....]

boputnam
08-30-2006, 09:08 PM
My wife has been telling me they "aren't worth a thing" Dave, I'm afraid your wifey is correct on this one. Sorry. Lose them 4301B's.

Send 'em to me - I desperately need a third pair... :p

Oh, and edgewound here on the forum can certainly recone those, provided the kits are still available. I'd recommend a recone vs just a refoam, if you can. Send him a pm.

Anthony L100
09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Dave, I'm afraid your wifey is correct on this one. Sorry. Lose them 4301B's.

Send 'em to me - I desperately need a third pair... :p

Bo, as you already have a couple of pairs I really think my need is greater......;) BTW Why are the 4301Bs so much better than the L19s??

majick47
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Zilch I checked around and other than the Control series I havn't seen any pro heavy duty JBL wall/ceiling mounting brackets. Since I now have an additional seven (7) 4301b for a surround system a JBL wall/ceiling mounts that were designed for the 4301b would be preferable. I was looking for Peavey Versamount 70 brackets which are heavy duty pro mounts rated for 70 pounds, they are very versatile and will work either wall or ceiling. Also need some advice re a Denon 3800 series surround receiver but that will have to be another post.

Zilch
09-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I've used JBL MTC-51, which is a wall bracket, and also the next size larger from the manufacturer, Omni-Mount: http://www.omnimountpro.com/

They occasionally show up on eBay really cheap. There's some in the tent sale, really expensive....

majick47
09-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks Zilch, I saw the tent sale mounts and they are expensive! The Omni mounts look good and the price is a lot better.