PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic amp speaker suggestion?

Bandad
08-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Hello, new here...though some great info is being passed around so I thought I would ask a question re my DIY.

I'm rebuilding a Roland JC55 combo guitar amp that is missing it's drivers. The amp is commonly used for clean guitar amplification and I will primarily use in a biamp arrangement in stereo for live acoustic performance.
The signal out of the JC55 will go to a second combo amp's 65W power section that will drive an open back JBL D130F.
The JC55 is an open back combo with two 25w amps running in mono or stereo (depending upon user settings) to two 8" drivers.

I'm considering several speaker types for the JC55 though have not shopped for high end musical instrument 8" drivers. Possibly the D208.

Any suggestions for a a pair of full range higher end 8" speakers in the 30W range that would not be destroyed by the possible clipping associated with musical instrument amps but still reproduce incredibly beautiful mids and highs for acoustic guitar tone (as the JC may be used at times without the D130F cab)?? :hmm:

Thanks!

GordonW
08-31-2006, 09:22 AM
The 2118 comes to mind. Great driver for between 100-6000 Hz. In a pair, capable of handling pretty good power, and easily reconable. Available in 8 ohm (2118H) and 16 ohm (2118J).

Don't really know of an 8" that will handle more power than that, realistically...

Regards,
Gordon.