PDA

View Full Version : How to make a CD from vinyl??

HipoFutura
08-29-2006, 08:09 AM
I have an old 45 that I'd like to burn to CD. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I don't have a clue as to how to do it. Do I need a card for my computer to accept input from my stereo? My preamp is a Phase Linear 4000 Series II.

Don

BMWCCA
08-29-2006, 08:31 AM
That depends on your computer. My Mac PowerBook has an audio input jack and I simply take the RIAA-equalized pre-amp output (front panel 1/4" jacks on the Soundcraftsmen) and adapt it into a mini-plug and into the audio input jack. From there you may need some software help to convert the analog signal. I use Roxio's "Toast" to burn my CDs and DVDs and they have a great bundled accessory called "Spin Doctor" which captures analog and converts it to digital, allowing editing, EQ, scratch and click filters, etc. You can even insert breaks in the "timeline" display or edit to take only the parts you want. It worked great for some of those old Fleetwood Mac LP tracks I wanted to pass along to my kids but didn't feel the burning desire to own the entire CD at $20 per. I can burn the tracks as MP3s or for normal CD.

If you're not a Mac user, I'm sure there's something equally easy to use on a Windoze box! :dont-know

HipoFutura
08-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Thank you! That sounds too easy. It didn't occur to me that I could run a preamp output to my computer audio input - wayyy to obvious! I have a bunch of CD and DVD software that I'll look at for audio capture/conversion.

Again, thank you.

Don

louped garouv
08-29-2006, 09:13 AM
with some of the MP3 players, you can go rip directly into the device as well...

record player ---> RIAA preamp ---> Iriver H10 cradle/device

(I use an Iriver H10 20gb)

depends on the MP3 playback device you use

whizzer
08-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Check out the turntable section at jandr.com. There is one reasonably priced package with software and all. If you already have a turntable and RIAA preamp, the full version of the Roxio software for PC's also has Spin Doctor; MusicMatch Jukebox will also allow you to do what you wish, as will the full version of Nero.

Titanium Dome
08-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Everything you need is here for $40.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

I'm assuming you already have a turntable. ;)

HipoFutura
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Gotta love this forum! Thanks for all the tips guys. Just ran a test and it went fine.

I used the tape out RCA connectors on the PL4000 preamp and with an adapter cable plugged them into the stereo input on the computer. This is the same type of cable/adapter I use to run the computer audio output to the preamp.

I have an old Pioneer direct drive PL-5 turntable. The thing has been in the attic for eons.

From Download.com I picked up Anewsoft MP3 Recorder for $26. Simple to use and works great.

I have to admit that I'll take a CD to an album any day. I don't understand those who feel albums sound better. There is so much more difinition with a CD. Of course it may have something to do with my prehistoric turntable.

At the moment I'm listening to Pink Floyd Meddle (digital) and it sounds like the boys are in the room playing live for me. I'd swear I can hear the picks hit the guitar strings and the sticks on the drums. Vinyl just doesn't compare.

Life is good; thanks guys!

Don

Rusnzha
08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.aipl.com/singulator.html

I use AIPL singulator with a small mixer and a good sound card. It also works well for tapes and various digital sources that have to be recorded in real time. Check it out!

Rusnzha
08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I just noticed that the new version of Singulator comes with a built in mixer. With version 1.5 and a decent sound card, it looks like you're in business.

moldyoldy
08-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Just a tip from the ditch....look WAAY ahead before buying new stuff, hard or soft. If there's a chance you might wanna play with MIDI, or session recording or speaker measurement (if you're into dumb graphs), look for something that fills ALL your needs. I can say this while looking at a box of discarded trinkets while I'm uninstalling stuff I never needed for more disk space. And I'm not there yet!

indycraft
08-31-2006, 10:38 PM
You might want to visit the discussion forum at diamondcut.com. There is very good information for those wanting to capture vinyl on cd. Much of it pertains to their specific programs but I believe you will find it very helpful. I have had good results using the DC5 restoration program on digital captures from 1/4" audio tape.

I have no affilitation with diamondcut audio other than being a satisfied customer.

Indy