PDA

View Full Version : loudspeaker service

gyusher
11-26-2003, 12:53 PM
A question for this house full of those who know. . . . Is there a procedure to check a classic speaker ie; JBL L-112 to determine if it meets original specifactions other than listening to it???
I realise that a speaker is not very complicated as far as its construction but after billions of pulses that produce sound what wears out???
I would think the magnets, cones, surrounds etc. would weaken with use and age, is there a test or procedure to check for this??
Thanks for your help.

boputnam
11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Hey...

I do not know of a test for an entire enclosure. Maybe EarlK, Gordon or Giskard has been down a useable road, there.

Each transducer should be considered by itself, and for completeness, the network as well should be checked to see if all is still to spec (but that can require some de-soldering to check).

As a minimum, the compliance on those LF cone transducers (128H) should be replaced. Personally, that is my favorite 12-in woofer... :o These days, I more often go straight to reconing - almost the same amount of work (sometimes less... ;) ) and the results are better.

btw - is that you in the avatar? You're kinda cute! :yes:

gyusher
11-26-2003, 05:02 PM
I am the bald headed one. . . The other one is my mother. . . .

gyusher
11-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Thats my daughter. . .the baby is my grandson. . .6 weeks old. . .The woman is my 35 year old daughter. . .Her only child. . .Yes she is more than Kinda cute and a very successful buisness woman at that. . . .Single too. . . .Long story. . . .

gyusher
11-26-2003, 05:20 PM
The woofers are fine, recently refoamed by a JBL service center. . .I have 2 new crossovers comming, 2 new 044 tweeters, and one 128H woofer. the speakers are mint now but my concern is their age. As a winter project I plan on completly refinishing and at the least having each driver checked or rebuilt. . .A new cone for this woofer is 194.00. . . . I was told to use white spray paint to brighten them up by "Orange County Speakers". . . .Krylon. . . . .They are nice but not as bright as when new. . .

boputnam
11-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by gyusher
The woman is my 35 year old daughter. . .Yes she is more than Kinda cute and a very successful buisness woman at that. . . .Single too. . . .Long story. . . . Not if she likes JBL's...!! :rotfl:

gyusher
11-27-2003, 01:13 AM
My daughter takes after me. . .she likes good audio and classic cars. . .My brother has a Classic car lot in Eugene Oregon where she lives and she has a ball. . . .
http://www.summersclassiccars.com/

Not to stray to far from my original post but check these babys out. . .

4313B
11-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by gyusher
My brother has a Classic car lot in Eugene Oregon
http://www.summersclassiccars.com/
Excellent!

"My four speed dual quad posi-traction 409"

gyusher
11-27-2003, 09:11 AM
He has so many I get spoiled every time I go out there as he lets me take any car from his lot while I am there. . . .Most of the time I find an old blazer or something as most are either too pretty or too ticky to drive normal but fo a real kick in the pants he always has several 454 chevelles etc. . . . .enough for me. . .

4313B
11-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I love twisting out a Mouse or dumping a tank of gasoline down the throat of a Rat ;)

I used LE8T's in the rear deck before JBL came out with their automotive series. They didn't stand up real well to the environment :p

gyusher
11-27-2003, 03:01 PM
I think that would be a ":Hostile environment"