PDA

View Full Version : Sparse representation of UREI on the forum...

Bob Womack
08-28-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm interested, in a benign way, that there is comparatively little mention of UREI monitor speakers on the forum and, apparently, not too many owners of them here. I am curious about this, given that they were originally based on Altec 604s, were later owned and built by JBL, and were some of the most popular monitors in the recording world for twenty-five years. Before I discuss it further, let me give the appropriate nod to Robert Hamel and his 811c clone center speaker, through a mention of which Google drew me here in the first place.

I've got some ideas of why they might be a little scarce:

1. Let's be honest: They are visually as homely as an outhouse as far as many are concerned. They've got a certain emotional charm to me, given that they were the latest thing when I entered the recording world full-time in 1981. Their cabs certainly don't occupy the same visual spectrum as some of the nicely veneered JBL and Lansing speakers that folks here take on as projects for their home.
2. They are still extremely viable as monitors and still occupy the soffits of many studios and production facilities. When they show up for sale, they are often bid on by companies. This might contribute to their being in lower supply for home users.

So, got any thoughts? Agree with my possible reasons? Got some of your own?

Bob

doodlebug
08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I've only recently discovered the fun of UREI speakers, having purchased a set of 809s from a former recording engineer guy to get me started. I note that they come up for sale on eBay/CL occasionally but probably get passed over due to the lack of consumer-level brand recognition.

Secondly, I wonder how many UREI speakers were sold compared to JBLs across the same time period. JBL may have lost the market to UREI for studio monitors but they kept the mindshare of the consumer. For this reason, I believe you'll see fewer folks who appreciate UREI outside of folks like yourself who know what they are.

So, I suspect that the lack of name recognition plus the low number produced are the primary limitations.

BTW, did you note that the AES will be placing the UREI 813 into their Hall of Fame next month? Cool.

Cheers,

David

Bob Womack
08-29-2006, 05:30 AM
I've only recently discovered the fun of UREI speakers, having purchased a set of 809s from a former recording engineer guy to get me started.Congrats! Great speakers.
I note that they come up for sale on eBay/CL occasionally but probably get passed over due to the lack of consumer-level brand recognition.You may have a point there. I remember a purchase we did for a studio back in 1979. We were buying a bunch of gear from pro manufacturers and a consumer cassette deck. The purchasing department bounced back every pro item we spec'd because they didn't recognize the suppliers. They approved the consumer cassette deck.
Secondly, I wonder how many UREI speakers were sold compared to JBLs across the same time period. JBL may have lost the market to UREI for studio monitors but they kept the mindshare of the consumer. For this reason, I believe you'll see fewer folks who appreciate UREI outside of folks like yourself who know what they are.

So, I suspect that the lack of name recognition plus the low number produced are the primary limitations.You may have a point!
BTW, did you note that the AES will be placing the UREI 813 into their Hall of Fame next month? Cool.Definitely cool! I monitor on a set of 813cs every day.

Early 813c in its soffit: notice no bright rims! (http://www.in2guitar.com/stereo/813ssi.jpg)

UREI Ad from the back of Mix Magazine, October 1981 (http://www.in2guitar.com/stereo/ureiad15p.jpg)

Bob

norealtalent
08-29-2006, 06:15 AM
I've experienced a couple other things around Urei monitors that has formed this thought process; Urei's are not well known outside the studio, therefore, consumers are not looking for them so readilly. Urei's were mainstay studio use so generally, only studios have them. Studio's know what they are and do, so they won't part with them quickly, hence, Urei's are not well known outside the studio. The only Urei's I've had is a pair of 813's that are missing the Emminence 15's. They were part of the deal on my 2nd BBSM-15's. I didn't want the Urei's but the owner wouldn't sell me just the Westlakes so I took both pairs. Nobody wanted The Urei's any less than me. Now they just sit here as I knew they would. I played with them a while then parked them.

Bob Womack
08-29-2006, 07:27 AM
norealtalent, you are a lucky man. There should be some professional folks who are going to need either the whole systems or the parts. What series are they? The "C" series (all JBL parts) are the most highly regarded of the 813s, 811s, and 815s. The 809s began life under JBL and lived their entire life as happy "A" variants.

doodlebug,

I forgot to mention that HERE (http://bobhodas.com/pub3.html) is an excellent article by acoustician Bob Hodas on subwoofing freestanding monitor systems that mentions UREIs particularly. I found it useful!

Bob

norealtalent
08-29-2006, 10:02 AM
They're 813's with the Altec 604-8G drivers. They take up a lot of real estate and I haven't had the heart to part them out yet. That day IS coming. I'll stick with my JBL's. :bouncy:

doodlebug
08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
They're 813's with the Altec 604-8G drivers. They take up a lot of real estate and I haven't had the heart to part them out yet. That day IS coming. I'll stick with my JBL's. :bouncy:

Same version as I've got - the A series. Bob, thanks for the link to the article. I think I'd seen it before but not with UREIs in the house. For the most part, I'm fine with the 809s running stand-alone. I've got a 1200sf house so it doesn't take much to fill the whole side of the street with sound around here.

In the 813s, I did have the Altec 604s magnets recharged since the monitors, I'm sure, took some heavy workouts having come out of the old Fantasy studios in Oakland. The crossovers are being reworked even as we speak. They'll be in the garage for the time being.....less WAF and more sheer bulk.

Cheers and thanks,

David