PDA

View Full Version : 4560s

Tim Williamson
08-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Well, it was at least 6 months ago since I last posted about starting this project. A number of you were very helpful (thanks Kent!).

Summer with 3 and 4 year olds goes fast! Finally in the mood for some real loud rock (as opposed to jazz, that I usually listen to on the full range speakers I have)... I dug in today.

Finally soldered up the cap/l-pad to balance the horn with JBL 4560/2221-5 (I was told driver was 2221 with 2225 cone). In any event, I had not soldered in 25 years..... and a few burns later the wiring was done. NOT pretty, but functional (see next post). With some odd bicycle parts for mounting a couple bits.... I am in business!

To recap, I have 300B mono block amps. With the full rangers, they never really could do justice to MC5s Kick Out the Jams! These, on the other hand, definatly can get Young Man Blues (off of Live at Leeds of course!) filling the entire basement! Yes, basement...... never mind the wife, I could never bring myself to put these things in my living room...ha, ha, ha.

I have P-Audio compression drivers in Altec 511B horns. They do a nice job of going pretty high (better than my full rangers anyway). They do have just a tad more zing than I think I need (alot of hard surfaces where I have them). I have seen people use different caulk looking materials to damp the horn itself....... good idea?

Tim Williamson
08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
OK, so you have seen the pics of these beasts in previous post (Wendy-O and the Plasmatics album and all!). Here is a pic that will liven up your day! I was lacking brackets of any sort..... and over anxious to get things going. I deal with bike stuff alot, so.... a sprocket to hold the L-pad and a strip of rubber cut from a handlebar grip to hold the cap........wha-la, not pretty, but solid and it works.

Now I will just have to get the initiative to clean everything up and put it in the box!

The JBL 4560s I bough last December. $175/pair. They are nasty looking, but strong (not wobly at all) and the drivers good.

Zilch
08-27-2006, 05:38 PM
I have seen people use different caulk looking materials to damp the horn itself....... good idea?http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11847

Suggestion: Every reputable loudspeaker development laboratory such as yours should retain an adequate supply of small wirenuts. :)

[OH, and the requisite $50 Radio Shack hand-held SPL meter, of course, for safety's sake.... :thmbsup:]

Tim Williamson
08-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks Zilch,

I read through, anyone else use the Evamastic mentioned by DoClamb in that thread? While the JBL boxes do look nasty, the Altec 511B horns are in nice shape, and I hate to put anything on them that will trash the finish if I need/want to remove.

Yes, the wires are to be cleaned up...... wirenuts added etc... . I was just excited to get a listen (and make sure they worked! before spending a huge ammount of time making tidy set up).

It is funny, the ammount of wood in these 4560 enclosures...... I think in wood alone there is more than $175 (what I paid for the pair with drivers).