PDA

View Full Version : If You Like The Eagles.........

bigstereo
08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
You'll love Eagles Farewell I Live At Melbourne. 2 DVD set. 2004.
Awesome show. Get this, slip it in your DVD player, crank up those big jbl's and you are there!

RJ

dllyons
08-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Yah, I've got it !! Haven't had a chance to play it in my audio-video system setup yet, but I will tonight !! Plus I have the Hell Freezes Over DVD.
This is the system that I use my newly acquired 9090DB in, along with some L100's and Toshiba DVD & VHS recorder/player.

Mudder
08-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Have both, but haven't opened the Hell Freezes over yet. I just have a old 27" Zenith and I listen to a Pioneer SA9100, L 36's, LC312's. I like it and that's what matters, right? :)

I have a couple of Santana's that I really like along with a really good Phil Collins.

Bob Womack
08-26-2006, 10:47 AM
They are both standards in the industry. Note the differences in the mix location placements:

1. On Hell, there is almost nothing in the center. The first wave of DVD 5.1 mixes had gone out with center vocals and people had discovered that you could shut down the mains and surrounds and listen to the vocals solo, without any accompaniment or effects. It's not always pretty. By Hell, vocalists were aware of it and mixers were reacting and protecting them by basically doing stereo with surrounds and nothing consequential in the center. Over time, new methods were tried. Farewell I puts the lead vocal in the center but mixes a little of everything in gently so there is no possiblity of the vocalist being hung out.

2. On Hell, the surrounds contain basically audience and some effects. After the Quad fiasco, mixers were reluctant to spread the band to the surrounds. By Farewell I, they've gone back to fully exploiting the 360' sound field for part separation. Look for horns and keyboards spread into the surrounds.

3. On Hell, DTS can only be accessed on booting the disk in an opening "gate" screen. Want to change back to Dolby? You have to reload the disk. By Farewell I, all options (DTS, Dolby 5.1, and Dolby stereo/PLII) are available at all times.

Bob

bigstereo
08-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Yah, I've got it !! Haven't had a chance to play it in my audio-video system setup yet, but I will tonight !! Plus I have the Hell Freezes Over DVD.
This is the system that I use my newly acquired 9090DB in, along with some L100's and Toshiba DVD & VHS recorder/player.

I listened to it on my crappy Denon surround receiver in stereo mode with a sub and pr of 4311's, Sony DVD player, and I was impressed. So it oughta sound pretty damn good on that 9090db.
But then everything sounds damn good on a 9090db!:thmbsup:

RJ