PDA

View Full Version : Is this an Altec Woofer?

Storm
08-24-2006, 03:17 AM
I finally decided to take a peak inside the cabinet of one of my Altec 846U speakers.

After 6 screws on the horn and 16 on the woofer...here is what i've got.

The horn is an 811B with an 806A driver - 8 ohms.

However, the woofer appears to not be Altec - not sure. The magnet is labeled as such, but I have not seen an Altec basket like this one. Is it an Alnico??

Can anyone verify?

All of the serial numbers are 3915...both inside and outside of the cabinets, so I am guessing - 1975?

Has anyone figured out the serial number and dating codes for Altec, yet?

Thank you.

:o:

Chas
08-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Your woofer definitely looks like Altec. When they supplied woofers for their own enclosures, they weren't prettied up, i.e. they didn't use magnet covers. And yes, it is AlNiCo.
Hope this helps.

hanad400
08-24-2006, 06:11 AM
Hello, this is an 416 - 8A later version with the 16" frame.

Regards, Günther

louped garouv
08-24-2006, 07:43 AM
that 391.... number tells you that it is altec, I think....

10 Watt Street
08-24-2006, 08:46 AM
It is all in the charts:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/reference/1975-drivers/page06.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/reference/1975-driver.htm

Gary L
08-24-2006, 04:08 PM
50th week of 1975 as far as I can tell and deffinately a 416-8A large frame.

This is why they sound so fantastic:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

The 416 came in a number of versions from small frame to large frame and with or without magnet covers. Not positive on this but I think they all have the same cones and voice coils so are essentially the same.

806s are nice HF drivers but I do like the 802s a bit better for home use.

Thats just MHO and not meant to downplay any of the other VOT combos.

I still think your backs can be removed but they probably have some swelling issues. Now is the time to get them loosened up for the future.

Make sure all screws are out and use some persuasion from the woofer cutout to push them out. Size 9w usually works here.:D

Gary

Zilch
08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Ian's link says "Everything comes out the front."

Don't think I'd take the front AND back off at once, in any case, based upon early experience constructing treehouses, and later, bookshelves.... ;)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11951

moldyoldy
08-24-2006, 10:53 PM
It is all in the charts:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/reference/1975-drivers/page06.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/reference/1975-driver.htm

You're forgetting this guy thinks charts are stoopid. :blink:

For the record, it's a 416-8Z (from the stoopid charts).

Wonder if that birch came from th' Sauth?........like me......

Storm
08-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Wow, can anyone have fun on this site? It seems as though most of you guys don't know how to have fun - well, only with beer that is.

Lighten' up and take a chill pill....

BTW, is it a 15" or 16"? Is the 8Z a good woofer or are they all pretty much the same?

:)

moldyoldy
08-24-2006, 11:52 PM
The 416-8Z was the most marvelous, splendorific, transparent, mondo-dynamical, low-fatigue, woofer ever made (ever), with a base efficiency of 118dB, and is flat within one-half of one dB from below Fs (14Hz) through 12kHz. From '73 till '76, ONLY the 416-8Z cones were pressed with a proprietary pulp blend from the now-extinct baezeel tree from Brazil. The edgewound voice coil generated such tremendous back-emf as to cause problems unless driven by impedance-matching amps. It is said that the cabinets for the 416-8Z had to be specially constructed and sealed to contain the tremendous back-wave it generated. Due to its' potentially destructive capabilities it was eventually outlawed in '76 by the FCC, and subsequently dropped from the lineup.

Feel better?

(Edit; this was just a stupid test (not to be confused with an ignorant test), the 'info' posted is obviously ficticious, and should be taken in the context intended only....with a grain of salt)

(RE-Edit; Man, those chill pills did the trick, thx for the tip!)

Storm
08-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow, that is very interesting...

Yes, I do feel better.

Thank you for that insightful information.

Don't get me wrong, I respect all opinions - but when someone fails to have fun, what fun is it to get on this board and chit chat back and forth?

:D

Mr. Widget
08-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Feel better?I know I do! :bouncy:

Widget

moldyoldy
08-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Wow, that is very interesting...

Yes, I do feel better.

Thank you for that insightful information.

Don't get me wrong, I respect all opinions - but when someone fails to have fun, what fun is it to get on this board and chit chat back and forth?

:D

Just had to lock this one in the time machine.....click.

Storm
08-25-2006, 12:25 AM
ha ha...you are funny.

Zilch
08-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, I respect all opinions - but when someone fails to have fun, what fun is it to get on this board and chit chat back and forth?Forgive me, but I BELIEVE there's a difference between a "forum" and a "chat," that difference being one of substance, wherein fun inherent may be found.

Beer merely facilitates the discovery.

ha ha...you are funny.There. See? :D

moldyoldy
08-25-2006, 12:30 AM
I know I do! :bouncy:

Widget

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Can't get that kinda fun at the five-and-dime!

Think I'll put on "Riders on the Storm".

"Man, colonel, that lamp...it's HHUUUGEE!" Tiny E.

moldyoldy
08-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Wow, can anyone have fun on this site? It seems as though most of you guys don't know how to have fun .....snip...:)

See above.

Gary L
08-25-2006, 03:53 AM
I am having a blast just learning I don't know SQUAT about what I think I know.
Some days I feel like I just went thru a Saturday night Smack Down but I always appreciate when the better man with more knowledge wins.

I still wish there was a definitive thread with photos and info to help us all with this woofer ID thing.

I could provide some good pics of many woofers if someone would be willing to do the IDs.

Apparently some Valencias where glued shut from the rear and some were not. MY BAD!

Gary