PDA

View Full Version : El Fives in the house

clmrt
08-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Haven't posted in a while as I haven't had JBL's in a while. Saw a CL ad for L5's @ $250 (Ejfud's brothers pair that sold a couple of weeks ago?) and auditioned them. They were fed by a Nakamichi Stasis / Yamaha Pre, but I had doubts about the room - small and cubic. All the drivers worked so I bought them. Sold KG4's to finance and I don't regret it.

This is the nicest speaker I've ever owned. They do sound better here at home.

Thanks to Ti Dome for the writeup he did so long ago, and to this site for the volumes of information that has helped me mature in my favorite hobby.

Thanks to Ozone for the sale, really appreciate it.

Titanium Dome
08-19-2006, 05:17 PM
At $250 a bargain indeed. Originally JBL was going to spec the L5 with two 6.5" drivers, but went with a 6.5" and an 8" instead. What a great decision! The inclusion of the 8" driver really extends and improves the speaker's range.

At some point down the road you can add a 12" sub and cross it over at 80Hz or 100Hz to the L5s and you'll see how much potential they have. They easily rival the L7s at that point.

For now, enjoy them as they are. You've got some wonderful speakers there.

clmrt
09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Update -

Added an SVS 12" driver in a 1.25 cabinet to the mix. I have no idea what the TS values are for that driver, so who knows what I've really got. EQ'd with a 1/3 octave to read about flat on the RS meter, with a rolloff to about match the RS sensitivity curve.

Whatever. Anyway...

After an hour or two of messing with the XO (40, 60, 80, 100 or 120) I've settled on 40 for now. I'll let them run that way for a week then switch to 80.

In another two weeks I'll add a second SVS / 1.25cf for 5.2. At the same time I'll ad an HK PA2200 to drive the L5's, rather than the AVR325.

So far so good.

Titanium Dome
09-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Sounds good (literally and figuratively).

That 708G-1 crosses over at 170Hz to the 706G-1, so you probably don't want to go higher than 80Hz. 60Hz might be the magic number, though I was at 80Hz with my LE120H-1 subs that I used with the L5s. The LE120H-1 is such a nice driver that I wanted to extend its range.

As you say, I know nothing about the SVS either, but the brand has a good rep.