PDA

View Full Version : "Tater" mashers and T.A.D.s

Oldmics
11-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Howdy All, Anybody ever compare a T.A.D. one inch driver (TD-2001) to a JBL 175 or 275 on a "tater masher" horn assembly?Got a project I am tinkering with and the "masher" is one of the loudspeaker systems hi freq horn decreed for use in this particular enclosure.Since its a two way system,I was looking for more upper frequency content that the T.A.D. driver offers. Previous experiments with two inch T.A.D. drivers produced more hi freq content but lost the intelligibility in the mid range.I am hoping that the result would be different using the one inch driver.Any thoughts or experiences? Best regards,Oldmics

Earl K
11-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi Oldmics

- We last chatted about a similar subject about a year and a half ago. Shortly after that conversation , I came into a pristine set of DLH175(s).

- I made measurements and found dispersion was quite beamy beyond @ 10K, (if I remember correctly). I also found the perforated plates "confused" imaging - much more so than the "slant-plate type" .

- As a result , I never purchased the set. Still , they really do have a lot of charm , don't they ?

- I fear the last octave of superior HF output from the TAD will be more an aggravation rather than a musical enhancement under those circumstances .

just my thoughts <> Earl K :)

4313B
11-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Earl K
Still , they really do have a lot of charm , don't they ?Especially turned face down with daisies and baby's breath stuck in the hole.

OMG! I can't help myself! :rotfl:

Oldmics
11-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Now,Now Giskard- lets be kind to those past engineers.Giskard ,you really do crack me up!The Harlans that I am rebuilding uses that horn as one of the loudspeaker system options.I have heard the horn mated to a 175 and a 275 driver.I was not enthralled by the sonic quality emitted.Earl thanks for the info on the "beamy"ness after 10K.I will probably use the 182 system option in this project.Best regards,Oldmics

4313B
11-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Oldmics
Now,Now Giskard- lets be kind to those past engineers.Ooops, I didn't think that deep :p
Monkey see contraption, monkey poke fun :nutz:

Mr. Widget
11-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
Especially turned face down with daisies and baby's breath stuck in the hole.

Giskard, you are the man! I never thought of that. That is the best application for those horns yet.:D

I guess the larger 2" versions command such a high price on eBay since you could do something really special with long stemmed roses and baby's breath.:barf:

JBL Dog
11-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
Especially turned face down with daisies and baby's breath stuck in the hole.

Giskard:

Can the same thing be done with 2307's?

:hmm:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band: