PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between the L110 and the L110a

LRBacon
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Howdy,
Could any of you experts here on the forum tell me if there is any difference in how the L110a sounds compared to the L110? I currently have 3 pairs of L110s and a pair of empty L110 enclosures which I plan on installing the drivers and networks in. I purchased a pair of N110a networks via eBay the other day that were advertised for the L110. If the L110as sound better I could get a pair of LE111h woofers and just install the n110a networks and have a pair of L110as.

Larry (a newby)

Earl K
08-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Larry,

Click Here ! (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5139&highlight=N110a) & then BookMark that thread for future reference ( there's some good info in there ) .

- Giskard is quite the expert in these L110 matters ( along with all the various permutations of those 10" legacy 3-ways ) .
- He's quite familiar with the different "voicings" that do differentiate them from each other .
- He's not posting here right now / which is why I suggest bookmarking the referenced thread .
- In the meantime, it'll be worth your while to use the sites search engine to review Giskards thoughts on all speakers based on the le10/le111 woofer ( ie; the L110 , L96 & 4313 ) .

:)

LRBacon
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks, Earl K. I appreciate the link.

Larry

LRBacon
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
As it happened, the woofers I purchased from a guy on ePay were LE10H-1s with the cones and frame fronts painted black. I used the N110A crossovers and put together a pair of L110As. I discovered that the original pair I purchased back in 1982 were L110As, they have the LE111H woofers. There is nothing on the exterior of the cabinets to indicate which model they are. The other two pairs that were purchased via ePay are all L110s.
The L110As and the L110s both sound very similar and it is very difficult to hear much of any difference between them. They all do an excellent job reproducing music. Their imaging and presence are very good. They sound much better now that I have them up off the floor instead of on the JBL speaker stand "copies" that I had used for several years on the floor. I never knew what great speakers I had when they were on the floor.

Larry

LRBacon
10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
For what it's worth. Here recently I happened to notice that on the L110A foilcal far to the right of the serial number there is an "A" and an "H" die stamped into the aluminum. Since the foilcal is painted black the letters are difficult to see, at least for me without reading glasses. The L110A cabinet also has longer port that is curved. The L110 cabinet port is shorter and straight. The cabinet dimensions are the same.

Larry