PDA

View Full Version : L-100 Replacement L-Pads

jaynemo
08-16-2006, 09:24 AM
I searched around this site, couldnt find a good match, however I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times-are replacement L-pads for L-100's (10285) available from JBL Consumer? Is there a comparable replacement, from parts express, etc? Parts Express has a about a dozen listed, but not sure of the foot print size, etc. -Jaynemo the JBL newbe...

:blink:

Don C
08-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Sorry that I can't take the time to link to the exact post, but follow this link and look for post #44. This shows how I solved the problem on our project L-100s.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2794

jaynemo
08-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks much for the thread link. I believe because I'm only a guest I cant access older links-well i'm just going to have to become a member to solve that!

I like the trick by just taking up enough foilcal to access the screw heads.

I'm going to be diving in (slowly) to my newly aquired verticle array L100's soon & inspect the network real estate before I order new L-pads and new caps (binding posts too)- I see the early L100's have inductors also, so I'm not sure exactly how much room is available (especially for the L-pads).

I did call Woodbury yesterday, and they confirmed all original 100 stock # L-pads have been discontinued-probably not news to anyone here...

Do you think a 15 W rated L-pad would cut it? Not sure exactly what power the tweeter & mid see's thru the network.

Thanks for the great link & help-will post pictures when I'm in deep.

:applaud:

Don C
08-17-2006, 08:36 AM
If I remember correctly, the original L-pads are rated at 25 watts, and they are unreliable. I've pulled out several that were burned. I wouldn't even consider any smaller ones. The suggested L-pads from parts express are rated at 50 watts.

jaynemo
08-18-2006, 05:34 AM
For those interested, Madisound carries a 50W L-pad, the LP-50, which has a 3/4" shaft, eliminating the need for a spacer (PE part has a 1" shaft). Still 2X2" body. Looks to be the same make though. Madisound told me the L-pads they sell are made in Taiwan, however are good quality and are used in Fostex products.

majick47
08-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Buried somewhere I have maybe 8 Madisound L Pads (8 ohm) that I'll use for my L100s, let you know if I have some extras.

jaynemo
08-19-2006, 06:10 AM
This Saturday morning at 5:30 am was quite productive for me (no alcohol the night before & all rug rats & wife still in sleeping). Today's mission was to extricate the mid, woof, x-over & input posts on one speaker and make an assessment on how deep to take the x-over mods. Foilcal removal was pretty straighforward, thanks to my wifes hair dryer & a wide putty knife (I think my Milaukee heat gun, which is designed to take off a 100 years worth of paint would have cooked things). On this foilcal it appears the factory was a little stingy on the glue the bottom edge was already loose combined with it being pretty dried out. Looking at the real estate on the X-over board it's clear that to replace the l-pads with a Madisound 50 W L-50 (2X2") would necessitate removal of the potted inductors/4.0 uF cap assembly. There will be interference with the mid driver L-pad on the left hand side (I put a vernier on the 10285 L-pad body its around 1.600"). So to replace the l-pads would mean having to remove the potted inductor/ cap tube, & upgrade thereby creating more space. Hmmmmmmm.
I talked to my favorite restoration house he recommended trying to clean the L-pads first (keeping in mind they probably should be replaced), using denatured alcohol (never, ever any contact spray as it could contain silicone), either by taking them out of circuit & soaking them, or trying to eyedrop it in from the shaft. Perhaps a senior member could comment.

One question I did have though was regarding the woofer wiring- I'm used to the red lead on a speaker being the + side, the LX12-10 schematic shows the red + input post going to the black terminal on the 123A-1 woofer, and the black - input post going to the red terminal on the woofer via a green wire. Speakers were wired correct to this schematic. Are the woofers run with reverse polarity? Also the woofers state "Signature Series" are these the ID for ALNICO magnets? TIA....