PDA

View Full Version : And the rescue goes on... 4411s vs. 4412s

Bob Womack
08-16-2006, 06:20 AM
I rescued a pair of 4411s for $50. They are mechanically and electronically extremely sound, the walnut cabs are in pretty good condition, and it is a mirror image pair from the same era. I had to remove a set of OMNI mounts from the back. I actually had my choice of 4412s or 4411s. The '12s had cabs in better condition but their foam compliances were shot. I actually snapped up the '11s to get a center speaker for my surround array. The differences between the '12s and '11s always confused me, but I remembered the '12s as a downgrade from the 11s...? There isn't a lot of info available on the 4411 speakers, other than the brochure .PDF on JBLPro.

Comments?

Bob

PS. These being ported speakers, should I plug the 1/8" bolt holes from the Omnimounts?

johnaec
08-16-2006, 06:45 AM
The different components are listed here: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Systems%20Reference%20Charts/Studio%20Monitor%20Series.pdf

John

Bob Womack
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I guess I'm trying to decide if I made the right decision. Silly me. I could always have refoamed the 4412s for a reasonable price, but I didn't know which was preferrable and I couldn't check 'em out 'till they were refoamed, and this was one of those snooze and loose situations. :D I chose the bird in the hand... Was it reasonable in this case?

Bob

edgewound
08-16-2006, 09:12 AM
I guess I'm trying to decide if I made the right decision. Silly me. I could always have refoamed the 4412s for a reasonable price, but I didn't know which was preferrable and I couldn't check 'em out 'till they were refoamed, and this was one of those snooze and loose situations. :D I chose the bird in the hand... Was it reasonable in this case?

Bob

Bob...the biggest caveat with the 4411's is the 044 tweeter diaphragms are NLA from the factory, whereas the 035ti diaphragm (052 for 4412A) is available should a tweeter go out.

Other than that....they're great speakers...especially for 50 bucks:applaud:

Oh yeah...by all means, plug the Omnimount holes with bolts/machine screws.

Bob Womack
08-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. After listening to them, I think I'll be running the tweeters pretty conservatively because they can be pretty, ahem, forward. I'm not a loud listener because I want to be able to do it for a while. :bouncy:

Bob

Zilch
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I do not consider 4412s a downgrade from anything.

Go back and get THEM, too, get new surrounds installed, and decide by comparative listing which you like best.

[Then, keep 'em all.... :p ]

Mudder
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I have both and I like the 12's better. I do listen to them louder than most.

Bob Womack
08-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Weellll... I spent a couple of hours yesterday comparing the 4411s to the UREI 813s where I work and tweaking the crossovers to the same-ish ballpark. Of course, they will never be exactly alike due to the inherent differences between horn and dome tweeters. It's an unfair comparison also when you consider the UREIs were $5500 per pair compared to the JBL's $1200 per pair. Still and all, I really like the detail on the tweeters, even when when backed off a touch - vurry noice indeed. The bass is impressive, free and dynamic by comparison to the UREIs, even though the UREIs are soffited in a Live-End Dead-End control room, but then again UREIs were never known for earth-shattering bass. The two odd spots are imaging and the midrange. Of course, here is where the UREIs really shine and earn their money.

Last night I spent a couple of hours rubbing oil into the finishes. These monitors lived on Omnimounts in a control room for years, and the finishes weren't maintained, so they were really dry, thirsty, and light. They started out a shade darker than light oak (the color of the veneer on my surround speakers), drinking in the oil, and with no sheen at all. After several rounds of rubbing-in the oil, they worked their way back down to the dark walnut they came from, with the beginnings of their original sheen. A little vaccuming on the grilles (that are in immaculate shape) set them right.

Now with a little steel woolling and possibly some more permanent work on finish as well as a little stain and paint touch-up on some very light veneer edge damage, they'll be back to their former glory.

You know, a guy could get hooked on rescuing speakers... :D

Bob

Bob Womack
08-18-2006, 07:36 AM
I found a home for the 4412s: They are going home with a friend today. They'll need re-foaming and a little cabinet detail, but I'm pleased with their new home. They are going to an engineer who worked at the place that's selling them. Turns out he was watching the two pairs of speakers (4411s and 4412s) as they sat in storage and hoping to snag a pair of his choice before they went to the crusher. When he saw me leaving with the pair I bought he was a little miffed to have missed them. I redeemed the situation by finding information on the 4412s for him (here) , finding info on a local re-foaming place, and helping him negotiate a deal on their purchase. Everyone is happy.

Bob

Bob Womack
08-21-2006, 08:21 AM
I've spent a few more hours working on the finishes and such, touching up the black paint edges and using Old English to hide a few scratches. I spent a little time fitting and sanding 1/4" dowel stock to create pegs to fill the bolt holes that are just shy of 1/4". I suppose something just kind of twanged in me and made me want to do the job right. It's funny how you'll all of a sudden become emotionally attached to a project.

I've got to say that a pair of gorgeous cabinets is emerging from what were ugly ducklings. I never expected them to look this good, actually.

Bob

Chas
08-21-2006, 08:31 AM
[quote=Bob Womack
I've got to say that a pair of gorgeous cabinets is emerging from what were ugly ducklings. I never expected them to look this good, actually.

Bob[/quote]

It always amazes me what a little oil and elbow grease can do to save JBL walnut :p . Enjoy!