PDA

View Full Version : seattle area foam surround repair

jleblanc
08-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Hello!

I got a set of L-150As recently, and they need new foam all around. Are there any places that you folks would recommend in the seattle area? Also, do I just need to remove the 4 screws for each woofer/radiator? I took the screws out but they seem to be stuck in there really good. I got them from the original owner, so there's a chance they've never been removed (he had not re-done the surrounds, eve.) Maybe they're just sticking?

Thanks!

johnaec
08-16-2006, 06:52 AM
The speakers are probably just stuck in place. Some light tapping sideways on the frames ought to brake them loose.

When you do find someone to put new surrounds on your speakers, be sure to emphasize that the surrounds get mounted to the BACK of the speaker cones! Many places like to take the easy way out and glue them to the fronts, but that virtually destroys any future resale value, (along with changing the speaker characteristics slightly).

John

John W
08-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi,
I had a pair of L150s in the not too distant past with the same problem. The woofers really get attached. I would start on the bottom with the passive radiators. On mine the foam was deteriorated to the point of falling off and I was able to carefully get a grip on the basket from the outside edge without bending the cone and pry the passive radiator up. Since there is no voice coil, as long as you don't damage the cone, you should be fine.
Once the passives are off, reach your arm up through the opening and apply some pressure on the woofer magnet from the inside.

Here is another thread on the subject.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5538&highlight=l150+woofer

I have heard good things about this shop in Seattle:

Around the Sound
(206) 782-7975
323 N 105th St Ste C
Seattle, WA 98133

Alternatively, I would recommend buying the surrounds from Rick Cobb and
doing it yourself.

Steve Gonzales
08-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Here is another method that works too. With the screws removed and the speakers laying on their backs, on the floor, apply some tape to a 3-4" section of the basket's edge and the same amount on the baffle (to protect it against scratches). Then take a piece of 2"x4" about a foot long or so, and place it so it catches the raised lip of the woofer (protected by the tape), holding it at a very accute angle ( almost parallel to the baffle), and with a careful but firm amount of force, strike the the end of the 2"x4", knocking the woofer sideways. It is more like a firm tap, than a blow. It may take several taps to unstick the woofer/PR., but it works like a charm.

jleblanc
08-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Here is another method that works too. With the screws removed and the speakers laying on their backs, on the floor, apply some tape to a 3-4" section of the basket's edge and the same amount on the baffle (to protect it against scratches). Then take a piece of 2"x4" about a foot long or so, and place it so it catches the raised lip of the woofer (protected by the tape), holding it at a very accute angle ( almost parallel to the baffle), and with a careful but firm amount of force, strike the the end of the 2"x4", knocking the woofer sideways. It is more like a firm tap, than a blow. It may take several taps to unstick the woofer/PR., but it works like a charm.

Thanks guys, I'm going to wait to pull them until I get the new surrounds for replace, since they're playing OK now. And by OK I mean holy crap! All my other $1k+ speakers sound like $%!& now, these things have spoiled me. I just wish my office were bigger so I could bring them in to work.

I think I found Rick Cobb's ebay user, but I can't find an email address for him. Does anyone have an address or phone number?

John W
08-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Check your private messages for the email.

Steve Gonzales
08-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey, if your woofers/PR's need new surrounds now, I wouldn't use them. I take it that there are no holes in the surrounds where the foam has fallen apart at this point?

jleblanc
08-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Hey, if your woofers/PR's need new surrounds now, I wouldn't use them. I take it that there are no holes in the surrounds where the foam has fallen apart at this point?

There are 3-4 small cracks in the foam, but no major holes or gaps. A light tap with a screwdriver will puncture them (ask me how I know!) so they're quite fragile. I'm not going to be using them much until I get my kits. Thanks!