PDA

View Full Version : 066 Touch up...?

L88P
11-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Anyone have a process for cleaning, touching up or restoring the aluminum finish on an 066 dome and the coil face? :spin:

Thanks,

Roger

JBL Dog
11-23-2003, 12:07 AM
How old are the 066's?

The aluminum dome on the 066 gets very brittle with age. You can easily poke a hole in it with "careless" dusting. Unless it is absolutely necessary to clean it, I'd leave it alone.

I've never personally cleaned one. However, I've seen many with holes in the dome and figure that's how it happened. Other opinions?

Good Luck!

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

L88P
11-23-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by JBL Dog
[B]How old are the 066's?

The aluminum dome on the 066 gets very brittle with age. You can easily poke a hole in it with "careless" dusting. Unless it is absolutely necessary to clean it, I'd leave it alone.

Sounds like good advice Jbl Dog... these are cira. 1975-80 OE 066's that sat idle for the last 16 years... :snore:

One dome is near spotless, the other has a small black spot on the dome and multiple black spots on the coil face.

Oxidation? :spchless: I've notice this condition on other 066's.

Thanks,

Roger

MJC
11-24-2003, 01:41 PM
One dome is near spotless, the other has a small black spot on the dome and multiple black spots on the coil face.

Oxidation? :spchless: I've notice this condition on other 066's.

------------------------------------

Of the six 066s that I have, the aluminum on two of the domes has wore off, just leaving the linen. I suppose to the many years of pumping out rock n roll at high volumes. But they still sound good.
Any hole can be filled in will clear nail polish.

Royd
11-25-2003, 06:58 AM
I spoke with Orange County Speakers a couple years ago on this subject and was told to use aluminum spray paint to redo the domes. Never tried it since I don't have a steady hand.

L88P
11-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...

I also heard aluminum spray paint for the dome caps was an acceptable solution but not from Orange County Speakers...

So JBL had a minature heated spray booth to paint the dome on the 066?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1976-l166/page2.jpg

Roger