PDA

View Full Version : 4435 woofer wiring

remusr
08-14-2006, 09:43 AM
My pair of 4435's are wired differently - 1 looks correct with shorter white wires ("MF") to 2234 under the horn but the other has the longer green ("LF") wires to the 2234 under the horn. Both have similar grey sealing gook at the wall for the wires going from the crossover/LPad compartment to the horn compartment so look original. The green "LF" wires are much longer so you'd think they were cut to go from the crossover to the horn compartment woofer but that seems wrong as I think the "MF" white-wired 2234 should be aligned under the horn for better phasing. Anyone got another set they would check for me or have experience here?

Robh3606
08-14-2006, 09:57 AM
In case you don't have this, It should be a real quick check to see. The helper woofer only operates from 100Hz down so drop on a CD and see which one has upper midrange content.

Good luck

Rob:)

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio%20Monitor%20Series/4435LR.pdf

remusr
08-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Thx Robh, I do have that but it does not clarify which holes the LF and MF sit in. Gotta be identical relative to the horn position in each cabinet and i think it's MF under the horn. But why would my 2 be different form each other?

Robh3606
08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
The MF 2234 that runs full range should be under each horn. That's a given if they are switched I can't say why??? Very odd:blink: Are the White and Black set going to the other woofer??? It should be too short????? You never know maybe they had a screw-up at the factory??? How did you find it?? You hear something wrong or just checking things out??

Rob:)

edgewound
08-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Rob is correct. The MF 2234H goes directly under the horn, the LF<100Hz 2234H goes in the "outside" cavity. Unless you bought the monitors new in unopened boxes and know where/who they've been with, the thing that matters is wiring them correctly. If you got them second hand+...who knows what they've been through.

Sometimes things do get miswired at the factory, though. In this case nothing will get damaged since the woofers are identical

remusr
08-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Thx Robh & Edge. These were my garage speakers since I bought them last year and I haven't listen too critically as I was planning on pulling the oak veneer off etc. But I've put that off and wheeled them into the house Saturday and after blowing the cobwebs out - these babies do go LOUD - turned them down and found the soundstage wasn't as focused as expected. So stuck my ear down there and could tell one MF was under a horn and one wasn't. Then used my portable RTA and confirmed the 2234's I thought were MF's were pretty flat to 600-700Hz and the other tailed down after 125-150 or so. Since they were not in same position in both cabs I laid them on their back, and these suckers are still heavy, pulled the woofs out and found the wiring inconsistency. The white wires do reach the horn compartment 2234 but are a bit tight whereas the green wires are a foot longer - weird. Everything looks pretty original in there but as you say...who knows?
I will fix them shortly so both MF's are under the horns and see how it sounds then. One woof has blown its rubber pole-piece vent seal to bits so will try to fix that too. We don't want joyriding spideys going in there and getting deaf!

remusr
08-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I fixed the wiring by cutting and resoldering appropriately the 4 tinned speaker wires in the crossover compartment. Rerouting was too hard as the sealing goop in the intercompartment wall was too solid to remove the green wires. Imaging is a fair bit more solid.