PDA

View Full Version : Model 19 clones are finished (almost)

quindecima
08-12-2006, 01:48 PM
I spent all morning putting the finishing touches on my spkr project. They are sitting nerxt to my grand piano, I still have to do the fronts and find some brown cloth for under the glass tops but essentially they are finished.

I hooked them up and started off with chopin Nocturne in Db major, It was nice the highs are georgous but then I put on Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone. I was actually overcome emotionally it sounded so nice. Pics later.

quindecima
08-12-2006, 04:50 PM
here they are

Chas
08-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Great work. I know what you mean when you finally get the work done and can sit down and experience the reproduction of a fine piece of music. An incomparable experience IMHO.:yes:

hjames
08-12-2006, 05:44 PM
here they are Those are gorgeous! Very fine classy look - I can only imagine how sweet they sound.
BTW ... thanks for the tip on the Yo-Yo Ma CD! We've been watching a bunch of Sergio Leone movies lately anyway, so I just ordered a copy off Amazon!

quindecima
08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
You are going to LOVE that CD! :yes:

Gary L
08-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Absolutely Gorgeous Larry!

I do like the idea of glass tops because woman can't restist placing a wet plant on just about any flat surface.

Think we should have a thread here where we all show off our handy work projects.

WOW have I seen some fine speakers come thru these pages and it would be great to have them all in a separate thread so we could go and do a bit of drooling from time to time.

Gary

scott fitlin
08-12-2006, 09:17 PM
VERY nice work, enjoy them!

I`m an Altec freak, and I agree, Altec conveys the emotional content of music in a way no other brand has ever really been able to match. Something in the midrange.

Your speakers look great! :thmbsup:

Storm
08-12-2006, 09:29 PM
:p

I know this is mainly a JBL forum, but in my world - ALTEC kicks butt!

Altec just has that "Full Color" and "In person sound" that no other speaker can achieve. No wonder why they were placed in theatres.

I use Altec 846u's and will NEVER sell them - they are the BEST!

Anyone else get the feeling like ALTEC gets pushed to the back burner on this forum?

I think if Altec was still around in the audiophile world like JBL, there would be way more interest in the vintage stuff than there is now.

Hey, the koreans, japanese, and others not in the USA are scooping them up on eBay - soon Altec will be very scarce in the USA, for sure. Well, at least the stuff that has the original cabinets.

;)

scott fitlin
08-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, yes, this forum is predominantly JBL oriented. But, we know our Altec too.

IF Altec were still around, I feel there might be more interest in the vintage altec stuff, but, dont fool yourself, Altec holds its popularity.

For me, I have always used a combination of Altec and JBL, and its always been great for me.

I have always loved Altec 15,s in VOTT cabinets, and I love JBL compression drivers, especially 2441,s on 2395 lens horns. I also love my old Altec 288,s. I love both Altec and JBL for the top end, but both sound different from each other. When it comes to 18,s I have always been a devout JBL fan, that tight, very punchy bottom always commands peoples attention. In the vocal range, I have never been able to get into anything other than Altec woofers, the sound Altec had, especially in the critical lower mids was great. I have and still run vintage Altec 15,s, something unique and special about the way they sound. Natural, I think thats the word that desrcibes it best!

In one word, the sound Altec stuff made was a believable sound, it brought the music to life! Thats what it was all about, realism.

IF Altec were still around, and I wish they were, I feel they would have to make and offer what the marketplace is buying these days. Digitally processed line arrays, and other super high power speaker systems.

The reason, IMHO, that JBL is a more well known brand is because JBL is still in buisiness. But, it wasnt always this way, back in the day when Altec was in buisiness, everyone knew Altec.

DavidF
08-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I spent all morning putting the finishing touches on my spkr project. They are sitting nerxt to my grand piano, I still have to do the fronts and find some brown cloth for under the glass tops but essentially they are finished.

I hooked them up and started off with chopin Nocturne in Db major, It was nice the highs are georgous but then I put on Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone. I was actually overcome emotionally it sounded so nice. Pics later.

Very fine work. I would be interested to hear what dimensions you decided on and what height, generally, you have the 811 horns.

David F

quindecima
08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I looked at the 19 plans and decided that the upper section for the horn was an addition that I didn't want to get into building. I don't have a shop or a large table saw so it was a bit too much. What I did was take the over all dimensions and incorporate them into a single cab. I seperated the rear panel because of the horn driver although thats probably not necessary. They are 37x30x20. :applaud:

Gary L
08-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Not to Jack the thread but, Scott and Storm do bring up some interesting points.

"If Altec where still around"! Well, I think they kind of are still around to some degree.
GPA is still repairing and even now making some very fine new drivers.
I have heard that Altec is still producing VOTS in some factory and at prices in the range of about $10,000 a pair. Not sure on this one but have read it in a few places.

I do agree this forum is slanted toward the JBL line but it also is growing with Altec fans as well and I really don't feel any annomocities from one to another.

Altec did some very nice two way systems that have a realness all their own and I am sure the speakers Quindecima made are fine examples.

I do have to admit that JBL wins the battle in other then two way systems IMHO and I never really cared for any of Altecs ventures in this direction.

We can all coexist and I see no reason to war over what was and still is great sound from two very fine manufacturers.

It is all about the music and for the most part here about the Vintage Heritage of the Lansing name.

Gary

mbask
08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Nice work quindecima...
Altec V JBL?.......Altecs are better .. JBL is Bigger, IMHOOps
My Altec 846A Valencias are the best speakers i've ever heard ..close up
My JBLs 4411,12s sound incredibly good if not a little ....clinical, if you will.
I think JBL beat Altec because of (almost) 0% interest loans for metal..
"you might say I'm unlearned you might say i'm young ..but i'm only younger then you";)
JBL is Math & Money = can't go wrong
Altec is Blood, Sweat & tears = Lagacy
Remember... this forum would not even exist without the underpinning of
of Altecs results.:blah: :D

scott fitlin
08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Not to Jack the thread but, Scott and Storm do bring up some interesting points.

"If Altec where still around"! Well, I think they kind of are still around to some degree.
GPA is still repairing and even now making some very fine new drivers.
I have heard that Altec is still producing VOTS in some factory and at prices in the range of about $10,000 a pair. Not sure on this one but have read it in a few places.

I do agree this forum is slanted toward the JBL line but it also is growing with Altec fans as well and I really don't feel any annomocities from one to another.

Altec did some very nice two way systems that have a realness all their own and I am sure the speakers Quindecima made are fine examples.

I do have to admit that JBL wins the battle in other then two way systems IMHO and I never really cared for any of Altecs ventures in this direction.

We can all coexist and I see no reason to war over what was and still is great sound from two very fine manufacturers.

It is all about the music and for the most part here about the Vintage Heritage of the Lansing name.

GaryYes, both Altec and JBL had their strengths and weakenesses. Altec 2 ways have that classic Altec sound, and ONLY Altec sounded like that!

JBL, some of the best 3 and 4 ways ever, so much so, the speakers still command a fortune on eBay today.

GPA does in fact make genuine Altec goods, and If you wish to buy new speakers in the tradition of Altec, this is where to get em. Also excellent for repairing older Altec drivers.

Mr. Widget
08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Remember... this forum would not even exist without the underpinning of
of Altecs results.:blah: :DI thought this forum existed because of this dude.

Storm
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I thought this forum existed because of this dude.

This forum exists because of ALL OF US who contribute, read, ponder, and learn....

I feel the world does not exist because of one person, but we all co-exist as a wide and varied array of individuals...

Thus, Altec and Lansing....Could not be here without any of them.

They co-existed and shared ideas, so I firmly believe that either could not have existed without each other.

Kind of like Penn and Teller or McDonalds and Burger King...somewhat of the same idea.

But, as we all know - that is IMHO.

:blah:

Mr. Widget
08-14-2006, 05:40 PM
You're right... I am wrong. The forum exists because Don McRitchie and his original partners put it together. The impetus was the life's work of an individual named James Bullough Lansing, and the current form is due to the work of the folks at vBulletin and all the BS we add to it.

Widget

Gary L
08-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I say Thanks to all because it sure is nice to have this forum so we can all toss decible bombs at each other and continue to learn from the many knowledgable folks who make it happen and keep it going.

I don't honestly care what brand you like or have faith in and I do not see this forum as simply JBL, all others can go home. We are talking great sound from a couple of great companies that have made our lives a great deal more pleasant. Both had some great ideas and some of them are shared between the two. I truely believe the speakers produced by both companies could not have been made with out the other. Blood Brothers if you will.

Gary

mbask
08-14-2006, 09:09 PM
I thought this forum existed because of this dude.

With all due respect my elder Mr widget.....nope

besides: I don't like that photo because he looks just like my uncle Jim Scheiner :p

johnaec
08-14-2006, 09:17 PM
With all due respect my elder Mr widget.....nopeBut without that man in the picture this forum would not exist at all... 'Probably can't say that about any other person mentioned.

John

mbask
08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Which speakers were used for the stage monitor system at Woodstock One?
A7s baby!

Storm
08-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I am getting a strange feeling that the people on this site would recommend me to get rid of my 846U's and get a pair of Model 19s. Not much is talked about on the 846 series, but like the previous poster pointed out, the A7's ruled WOODSTOCK! And what are the 846's - a toned down home version for the wife's approval of the A7 speakers.

So, does anyone recommend that I sell my 846U's and get a pair of Model 19's?

What is the major difference, just a better tone down of the highs and mids? Otherwise, I might as well keep my money and the 846U's, because even if I sold them for $1000.00, the cheapest 19's have run about $1500.00.

Or, should I keep my 846U's for a while?

Thanks.

How many others on this board own 846 series?

:D

Ian Mackenzie
08-15-2006, 03:57 AM
I saw some Altec drivers on sale over at Diyaudio recently if anyone is interested.

I always liked the Altec stuff, the model 9's, 15's and the 19's.

The large infinite baffle systems where my favourite, using the 421? woofer.

Ian

Gary L
08-15-2006, 09:16 AM
I am getting a strange feeling that the people on this site would recommend me to get rid of my 846U's and get a pair of Model 19s. Not much is talked about on the 846 series, but like the previous poster pointed out, the A7's ruled WOODSTOCK! And what are the 846's - a toned down home version for the wife's approval of the A7 speakers.

So, does anyone recommend that I sell my 846U's and get a pair of Model 19's?

What is the major difference, just a better tone down of the highs and mids? Otherwise, I might as well keep my money and the 846U's, because even if I sold them for $1000.00, the cheapest 19's have run about $1500.00.

Or, should I keep my 846U's for a while?

Thanks.

How many others on this board own 846 series?

Keep them if you like the way they sound! Some like me like 19s a bit better but you have very nice speakers so why bother spending big bucks just because we said so?

Lots of nice speakers out there but the real answer here is what you like!
If it sounds good then crank it up!

Which speakers were used for the stage monitor system at Woodstock One?
A7s baby!

On another note. Went to a CSNY concert at Bethel Woods on Sunday.
This is the real Woodstock 1 site and quite nice cosmetically.
It is also where CSNY first got together back in 1969.

Sound wise, IT SUCKS!

Don't know what the speakers are but there are not enough of them and not enough power to get them moving.

CSNY Still can do it but then it is their "Freedom of Speech Tour" and I could do without their ANTI sentiments. Really just wanted to say SHUT UP AND PLAY THE MUSIC---------- LOUDER!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gamalot/IMAG0005.jpg

Gary

Steve Gonzales
08-15-2006, 10:04 AM
They turned out very nice quindecima.

quindecima
08-15-2006, 06:16 PM
I like them so much I am thinking about parting with my L100's and using the funds to put togeather another similiar pair. I have one 515B that needs reconing and two 511B horns. One more woof, some drivers Hummmmmmmm.

mbask
08-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I like them so much I am thinking about parting with my L100's and using the funds to put togeather another similiar pair. I have one 515B that needs reconing and two 511B horns. One more woof, some drivers Hummmmmmmm.

Those speakers you built are beauties indeed, i would like to hear em ..but oh well...On the other hand is it possible to record the "sound" of a speaker system? for the purpose of demonstrating, for say.. others on this forum? That would be a real head scratcher ea? :hmm:

Hey Storm..Keep those 846Us. As you have stated they are becoming rarer by each passing year...and they'er hard to beat. They don't get talked about much due in-part because of their rarity. all original 846Us in perfect working order? that's kinda like a slam dunk..what's there to talk about:D
mbask 846A owner

Storm
08-18-2006, 01:51 AM
:bouncy:

I found this audio website in Russia. They have both the 846's that I have, well in walnut and a pair of Model 19's.

The 19's are priced at $4480 USD

The 846's are priced at $5760 USD

Am I wrong to assume that this vintage audio store believes that the 846's are better or in fact more rare?

I would imagine if they felt they were superior to the 846's, they would have priced them close or above the 846's.

Just a casual observation...

Funny - the rest of the world is hip to this vintage audio, why on earth are more people in the USA?

I know...

:blah: :blah: :blah: ....

edgewound
08-18-2006, 04:58 PM
There's definitley 3 members posting here that need to do some homework. Yes, this forum is the extremely generous work of Don McRitchie, John Nebel and a few others that manage to keep it running....quite well, too.

The name of the forum comes from James Bullough Lansing...JBL and Altec-Lansing

I can't believe some of the pure BS I've read in this thread.

Oh..BTW....those Model 19 clones look very nice indeed.

quindecima
08-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I wish to thank everyone for their positive comments on my speaker endovers. A lot of work that is not seen went into these and thanks is appreciated. The main thing is they sound WONDERFUL!

louped garouv
08-21-2006, 10:49 AM
I really do like the sound of the old Altecs....

your clones in custom cabinets are very nice, I need to work on my carpentry skills....

I did practice this past weekend by moving a door to open on the opposite side... what a PITA

I had, at one time, both the Model 19s and A7s --

if you ever get the urge, maybe you could build some of those type (825 boxes) and see how you like the VOTT type of Altec cabinet. It is very different sound from the ported reflex box...

in the meantime, enjoy your sonic bliss

dllyons
08-27-2006, 05:25 PM
great looking speakers ya got there quindecima !!! Those are much like the ones I'd like to have made .....
Those strike me kinda like an updated Valencia .... almost ? Wonder how close they are in sound and efficiency compared to real 19's ? I suppose in theory, they should be identical but it'd be fun to compare and see

Gary L
08-28-2006, 05:11 AM
great looking speakers ya got there quindecima !!! Those are much like the ones I'd like to have made .....
Those strike me kinda like an updated Valencia .... almost ? Wonder how close they are in sound and efficiency compared to real 19's ? I suppose in theory, they should be identical but it'd be fun to compare and see

Great observation Dave and I too have made cabinets very similar to Quin's and am still wondering just how close to real 19s they sound.
I suppose in theory and because they have the correct components they could be very close but, we all know that theories don't tell the entire story.
Mine sound great, I am sure Quin's sound great but I think the proof would be in the listeners ears and only when compared alongside of the real 19s.
Can we possibly expect to reproduce the exact sound of any speaker made 30 years ago if we don't use the exact same materials and construction designs and dimensions? I think real 19 cabinets are nice but I know for sure both mine and Quin's are stronger and better braced and neither are built of the original material which was particle board and neither use the exact same dimensions or box on box design.
My opinion is that the real 19s may have some cabinet resonance issues not present with our cabinets. Don't know if this would be considered a flaw or upgrade from the originals.
Only a trained ear might tell and then again a trained ear might very well appreciate the stiffer cabinet to the original.
Once again, 19s were and still are a nice sounding speaker but we all know they are not "THE SPEAKER" to end all speaker building designs. The quest continues, but the components sure do give you a great sounding finished project.

Gary