PDA

View Full Version : Black mounting screws

John W
08-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I spent a fair amount of time this week looking for black mounting screws to match some original JBL hardware. I couldn't find a local source, but was able to find a cheap and plentiful substitute.
I bought some shiny zinc plated screws at the local hardware store and gave them a quick treatment of gun blueing. I had the gun blue in the cabinet, but you can buy it at most sporting goods stores. The chemical is selenium dioxide. You apply it and the screws immediately turn a nice black. I dried them, and gave them quick shot of wd-40 and they look just like the originals.

Mr. Widget
08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks John! I must say you continually impress the hell out of me. Sure, that is an obvious solution (pardon the pun) but I never thought to try it...

I'll see if it will freshen up my dull oxide finished allen screws too.

Widget

edgewound
08-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Wow John!...

That sure beats the hell out of black spray paint...great tip.

Thanks.

johnaec
08-12-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm wondering if I clean off the rust on numerous screws on amps I bought that have been stored in garages if that will somewhat restore them - 'guess I'll just have to try...

John

Don Mascali
08-12-2006, 06:39 AM
I had been using a fine point paint marker to touch up my stuff but DOH... Even though I smith all my own guns, I never thought of bluing.

Thanks,

Don M

Robh3606
08-12-2006, 08:03 AM
What a great idea!!

Rob :)

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 08:04 AM
We see the power of the forum to teach us the obvious. John that's a great tip to share with us, and it's so simple that we never would have thought of it, even if it's right under our noses.

This is reminder to us all to keep sharing. Thanks! :yes:

johnaec
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I found that exact same brand/bottle of gun blue in a local gun shop - about $9. I plan to experiment this weekend on bringing rusty chassis screws back to life.

John

glen
08-16-2006, 01:42 PM
If you use JBL ferrofluid to polish your guns they'll be LOUDER!

Flodstroem
08-24-2006, 04:32 AM
Im having the same problem getting black screws for my JBL-project but your tip will solve this problem once for all.

But, I have newer seen that Super Blue liquid here in Norway.

What is the price for a bottle in the US? Could you help me (us) over here for a source (name of shop, company or else?)

and gave them quick shot of wd-40 and they look just like the originals

What is "wd-40"? Is it a dull spray lacquer ?

Thanks
and Regards

John W
08-24-2006, 07:18 AM
wd-40 is a petroleum based lubricant. Sort of like a real light oil. It helps clean and prevent rust on metal.
The cost for a small bottle of the gun blueing is around $5.
You can find it easy enough on the internet, but I am not sure if it can be shipped into Norway. If I were you, I would find a store that sells or repairs hunting rifles and see if they have anything similar.

Flodstroem
08-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Of-course, its a light oil.
Now I have found a supplier in Norway for the Super Blue from Birchwood Casey but its not as cheap as in the US (ca $ 12 for a bottle of 3 oz at http://www.deal.no )

I think Hommersok Vapen in Norway sells this product to.

I will let you know when I have tried this chemicals on my screws and mounting clamps.

Regards

HipoFutura
08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
John's tip is an old car restoration trick. The down side is that WD-40 is not something you want around your speakers and the finish will eventually oxidize; which is why you have to keep putting it on guns. You can take this one step further. Eastwood sells a kit for refinishing nuts, bolts, screws, etc. Once you have blackend the screws there is a sealer that prevents the finish from oxidizing. Pricey, but permanent. I've used this on many of the fasteners on my hotrod. It is a nice product!

www.eastwoodco.com
item# 10238Z

duaneage
08-29-2006, 09:52 AM
With all the firearms I have why didn't I think of this? I even reblued an old ivers-johnson pistol last year and have blue left over.

The hardes problems have the easiest solutions