PDA

View Full Version : Masking a playback problem!

JBL 4645
08-09-2006, 07:34 AM
I have recently installed audio limiters to tame the loudness and maintain a high safety playback level of 85dbA has it’s getting more and more of a pain to keep adjusting the fader level for playback, where the dynamics can easily go way over 85dbA, 90dbA is to much!

So I will be looking over Underworld Evolution, and it’s predecessor, I have looked at several other films that have high dynamic range. http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/MichaelMackenzie/underworld1.jpg

The dynamics can range anywhere between the left centre and right, cursing masking problems with soft sounds in the centre channel mix being lost! Well not exactly lost just masked acoustically by different sounds playing at different frequencies I have looked complex films like “Alien” 1979, original first edition DVD region 2, and “Heat” 1995, now each film is presented with a small problem that can be dealt with and one of them is to use audio limiters, and set the input levels and amplifiers to hopeful playback the soundtrack with more information that is contented within the Dolby or dts mix.

I’m still in the process of balancing the three-screen fronts with the limiters, and the EQ’s I’ll keep you updated on the process as it goes along.:)