PDA

View Full Version : Olympus S8R

jag
08-02-2006, 05:55 PM
I bought a biamped system from a dealer back in 1970 that included the Olympus S8R speakers. Over the years, I disconnected the biamp setup for various reasons, preferring the convenience of a single amp-preamp or a receiver. After all these years, my son has infected me with a desire to upgrade the system; this resulted in the recent purchase of a McIntosh C41 pre-amp and the MC-352 amp.There is a significant improvement in the quality of the reproduced sound with these units but I still find something missing in the high frequency range of the S8R's. To me, the upper frequencies lack "vibrance" and don't sound clearly separated. Since these speakers have had nothing done to them since 1970, I'm about to undertake a reconing of the woofers. However, I'd like to know what else should and might be done to these speakers to ensure they're operating at the level of which they're capable and if more brilliance can be elicited in the higher frequencies.

Mr. Widget
08-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Welcome aboard... if you do a search for Olympus you will find plenty to read... there are those who love them as they come both the S7 and S8 as well as the passive radiator "R" variants, those that like to tweak them, and those who like to collect them but not actually listen to them...

First off, if your woofers aren't damaged you will likely be able to get the surrounds replaced and not need a full blown recone... this will save you hundreds of dollars and assuming your woofers are in good condition there is little to gain with a recone.

Secondly most likely your woofers, mids and tweeters are all labeled 16 ohms... don't concern yourself with this.... you can do some searches and read up on that if you want, but the long and the short of it is that they will work fine with any quality amp...

Thirdly, you mentioned they were originally bi-amped... do you also have the LX5 crossover that goes between the LE15A and the 375?

Finally about the highs... many on this forum think that 075s sound fine... you and I don't. The quick fix is to get a pair of 077s or a pair of 2405s. The 2405 is identical to the 077 but it has a black painted aluminum phase plug wedge instead of the clear acrylic one of the 077. These tweeters will slide into the same mounting bracket as the 075 and due to the design of the horn and the lighter diaphragm will produce higher frequencies and give you a better shimmer on the top end... still not as well as the best domes, ribbons and some others, but then you are dealing with a pretty old vintage system here. The new tweeter has a little less output so you will need to turn up the L-pad on your N7000... actually replacing the crossover with a new hand built one designed for 10KHz or even a pair of N8000s would also be an improvement.

I hope this helps.

Widget

yggdrasil
08-03-2006, 03:56 AM
I don't want to start a 075 vs 077 discussion, but since I have both, and a Sovereign S8R.... I would start with upgrading the crossovers (passive or active - tri-amp), before buying new 077/2405. This really makes a huge difference.

That being said - I prefer the 077/2405.

jag
08-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Thank you for the guidance, Mr. Widget. I will look into finding a pair of 077 (2405) as you suggested. Indeed, I bid on a pair at ebay but dropped out because I felt it was set up. My speakers do have the L5 crossover between the LE15 and the 375 as well as the N7000 crossover. Nothing has been done to them since their initial purchase in April, 1970 and generally I am pleased with their overall sound except for the lack of brilliance and resolution in the highs. The system was purchased with a JBL SE400S driving the upper ranges and a MC250 the lower; the pre-amp was a Mac C26. The dealer installed a home-made crossover that was fixed at 500Hz that was connected through the LX5. Frankly, I could not detect a significant difference in sound reproduction between a biamp setup and resorting to use of a single amp. Recently, I traded all of these original components for the MC352 and a C41. In contrast to your comment, I indeed notice a considerable and significant imporvement in the sound quality except, of course, for the upper ranges which still lack the resolution one should hear. I listen exclusively to classical music; symphony orchestra, opera, especially Strauss and Wagner. While the mid and lower ranges are exquisite, the high frequencies leave much to be desired.
I will take your advice and see if I can locate a pair of 077's and I thank you for your advice.

JonathanKeehn
08-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I owned a pair of S8R's for many years. I agree that the 077/2405 is a superior driver for an upgrade. I would also open up the back of the N7000 crossover and add a bypass capacitor across the series capacitor of the network. You'll need to drill out the pop rivets and replace them with self-tapping screws. The effect will be to add greater resolution and clarity to the 075's. The audible difference is very noticable and worth the effort. I would recommend using an AudioCap .01 mfd 600 v unit available from Parts Express. They cost $3.92 @ and have part number 027-700. This applies to anyone with an N7000 or N8000 network.

yggdrasil
08-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I owned a pair of S8R's for many years. I agree that the 077/2405 is a superior driver for an upgrade. I would also open up the back of the N7000 crossover and add a bypass capacitor across the series capacitor of the network. You'll need to drill out the pop rivets and replace them with self-tapping screws. The effect will be to add greater resolution and clarity to the 075's. The audible difference is very noticable and worth the effort. I would recommend using an AudioCap .01 mfd 600 v unit available from Parts Express. They cost $3.92 @ and have part number 027-700. This applies to anyone with an N7000 or N8000 network.This also applies to the LX5 in the S8R setup since they are in series with the N7000.

JonathanKeehn
08-05-2006, 12:40 PM
This also applies to the LX5 in the S8R setup since they are in series with the N7000.

I agree. I have bypassed all my JBL networks and recommend it as a low cost upgrade for any old crossover topilogy.