PDA

View Full Version : Levan Horn

RacerXtreme
08-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Anybody familiar with a Levan Horn ? Where can I find more info?

Ever heard one ???

thanks..............

scott fitlin
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Im very familiar with them. They are huge W bins, with an equally huge extension on them. They need a really big room to operate correctly, take up alot of floor space, and you will need alot of midbass to keep up with them. They kick really hard, and are a Disco, danceclub sub bass. Not Hi Fi.

RacerXtreme
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Exactly how huge?

Think I've got enough mid-bass to keep up.

4 JBL 2225's + 4 Altec 515's in 4 Altec 210 cabinets(w/ wings) + 4 Peavey MB-1's. The 4' wide MB-1's run from 125Hz to 1.25kHz w/ a single 12" Black Widow driver.

And 4 JBL 4311's, and a pair of Magnepan speakers that I turn off when I want it loud. :banghead: I do like them tho..... got 'em for $17.00 from my ex-wife. :blink:

:applaud:

Where can I see some drawings or a photo of one. Found one on the net but it's not that great of a picture. :bs: :biting:

scott fitlin
08-02-2006, 05:46 AM
You might be able to see some pics at www.systemsbyshorty.com (http://www.systemsbyshorty.com), he makes them for his installs, or you can see another version of them at www.gsany.com (http://www.gsany.com). You wont find any plans on how to build these, people that know keep it to themselves, and dont give out that info.

I`d tend to agree you have enough midbass to keep up with them.

The basic W bin is about 54``w x 46``d, but when you put the extension on the mouth becomes 8` wide! Its a big cabinet.

This cabinet was basically an upsized and retuned variant of the RCA W bin that was designed by Harry F. Olson, and utilized 18in woofers instead of 15,s. Richard Long is the one who made them in the 1970,s and 1980,s and they were used in nightclubs like Studio54 and the Paradise Garage in NYC. They were named after the Garages DJ, Larry Levan. In the 80,s Richard began having EAW make cabinets for him, and EAW also made levans and berthas, you can also see them in EAW website in the archives of discontinued products.

I will tell you that these cabinets put out a tremendous amount of bottom, but they are definitely not Hi Fi bass, strictly danceclub sound. They produce an extremely exaggerated and colored bottom end. So, if this is what you are looking for, thats fine, but dont expect flat response audio from them. They were designed for Disco.

I can also tell you that many diiferent woofers have been used, and the woofer of choice currently is the JBL 2242. Used properly you could upset neighbors many, many blocks away!

:)

RacerXtreme
08-02-2006, 09:11 AM
I like everything except the part about :

"They produce an extremely exaggerated and colored bottom end."

Are they almost too bottom end heavy ? (if there is such a thing.....)

The "Disco" thing bothers me a bit too....

My kids will be in high school pretty soon and have really taken an interest in playing the guitar, and now the drums. They are getting pretty darn good considering the amount of time they've spent playing. Well, if and when the "band" thing materializes - guess who's got the P.A. ?

Dad........

I don't think I will have any mid-bass issues at all. I may pick up another pair of 210's, so I'll have 12 15" woofers in six 7' tall V.O.T.T. cabinets. To be honest, having that + something like a Levan Horn seems a little excessive...... but if I don't pick up the x-tra 2 cabinets, then maybe a bit more realistic. The Altec cabinets will never hit as hard down low as some 18's in a folded W bottom (like the Levan). It's easy to understand........ The major issue tho - always comes down to space.

I always wanted to have a full blown Altec A1 system. With wings.

There's just something about a 12 foot wide speaker that intrigues me.....

tatittle
12-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Exactly how huge?

Think I've got enough mid-bass to keep up.

4 JBL 2225's + 4 Altec 515's in 4 Altec 210 cabinets(w/ wings) + 4 Peavey MB-1's. The 4' wide MB-1's run from 125Hz to 1.25kHz w/ a single 12" Black Widow driver.

And 4 JBL 4311's, and a pair of Magnepan speakers that I turn off when I want it loud. :banghead: I do like them tho..... got 'em for $17.00 from my ex-wife. :blink:

:applaud:

Where can I see some drawings or a photo of one. Found one on the net but it's not that great of a picture. :bs: :biting:

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/media/news/News/larry_levan/sound.html