PDA

View Full Version : 4411s ....what is their worth?

mbask
07-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Earlier this week I posted in the Lansing Product Marketplace that I am looking for one 4411 Control Monitor to complete a pair, Then I went on a determined hunt and I found a pair for sale at a recording studio in LA. the owners haven't told me yet what the price is, I'll probebly find out this week sometime.
the speakers are in decent condition cosmeticaly from what i could tell (in subtly lit mixing room), ..the woofers have been fitted with new surrounds (decent reconstruction job) and one of the control knobs is missing. other then that ..the owner says they work pefectly.
Can anyone tell me what would be a resonable price for these speakers?
or any other info that might warrent passing on? I paid 35. (US) for the one i already have..and to me thats a steel, but again i can't say for sure what the going market price is for this model.
thanks in advance for any information you can provide:)

mtrump
07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
I thought there would be more response, they routinely sell on ebay.

I have seen them go as high as 500+ for a nice pair.

I bought them new in 77 for 350 and another pair in 80 for around 400

later I bouth 4312s for 450 ish

mbask
07-31-2006, 05:02 PM
thanks for your response mtrump, that is really all i needed, to go into this purchase with some idea of the current market value for these speakers, and i can now set the highest amount i'll pay, just by the info you have provided.
so thanks again for that.:)

I own a decent pair of 4412 myself I think they sound fantastic (see pics in "music"
forum titled "Somebody Stop Me") ..but I'm green yet with experience to specificaly JBL in the correspondence or technical sens, despite that i have had, and been around JBLs almost all my life. My father used JBLs in his recording studio many years ago. when he sold his studio about 15 years ago the JBL's went to the new owner. At the time we couldn't be botherd with it ...:blink: oh shucks if i only knew......:banghead:

how you would compare the two systems ?
4412 vs 4411?
or anyone else
Edited: oops....mtrump you said 4312s not 4412s ...oh well......."Still a man hears what he wants to hear"

Zilch
07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
how you would compare the two systems ?
4412 vs 4411?I'd look at the specs:

4411:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4411.pdf

4412:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4412.pdf

Phil H
07-31-2006, 07:33 PM
mtrump is probably refering to 4311s. Frequently, they are on eBay. 4411s are not so common. This year, I have seen 4 pairs of 4411s on eBay (compared to 70 4311s). They sold for $270, 425, 415 and 536.

BMWCCA
07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Not being as familiar with the Studio Monitors as most here, it looks to me that the 4411 is basically an L112 in monitor form with a slightly different array. Just to help you with a data point, I recently purchased a pair of 4412As (no wood veneer, just utility black vinyl, w/titanium tweets) for $197 with one slightly smashed woofer dust cap. I thought they were a good deal and hope to A-B them with my L112s soon.

mbask
08-01-2006, 03:55 AM
thanks yall
hopefully i will meet with the guy tomorrow and probably buy them.
I'll post results on this thread
:)

mbask
08-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I bought the 4411s today for 160 ..maybe kinda high considering the few scratches and 8 screw holes (small) in the sides of cabs. grills are somewhere in his studio (seller), he said he would keep an eye out for them and let me know when they surface again.
thanks again yall for your feed back. :D
heres a somewhat blury pic

dllyons
08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Good deal !! I think you made a heck of a buy !! I auditioned a pair of these for about a week at my house, several years ago, and I absolutely loved them.
The only thing that kept me from buying them was, they had the absolute crap beat out of the cabinets, and they wanted a king's ransom for them. Plus, at the time I was still hunting for L100's that I knew I wanted badly. Now that I've got a couple pairs of L100's, I wouldn't mind trading a pair for some 4411's. I still love my L100's, but those 4411's are better speakers, without a doubt ! In my listening room, they sounded terrific and with awesome bass !!!

grumpy
08-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Nice component set. Reasonable deal, IMHO.
Suggest laying them on their sides to get the mid/tweets lined up vertically
and see if imaging is improved. For living room use, visual aesthetics and placement
compromises may override this minor concern. ;)

-grumpy

mbask
08-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for encouraging words!
"Awesome bass"?...or ...maybe a little too much? my room isn't flat like most Pro studios?...uh ....or what? :dont-know
aside from that, they sound ...well lets say ....very true.
Built like tanks. I would've payed more. One other cool thing I didn't notice until I got them home is that they are book match, or mirrored..Thats Cool!
My 4412, and L36s are not ..as if they were stamped out or somthing.:D

dllyons: why don't you post some pix of your L100s ;)

grumpy: what does "IMHO" stand for? :o:

grumpy
08-06-2006, 10:16 PM
In my humble opinion... sorry about the acronym... lazy typist.
Thanks for submitting a picture!

-grumpy

mbask
08-06-2006, 10:24 PM
In my humble opinion... sorry about the acronym... lazy typist.
Thanks for submitting a picture!

-grumpy

No problem..that was a big ..Dah on my part
any thoughts about possible "too much bass"?

pic: your welcome

Zilch
08-07-2006, 12:09 AM
4412s came in left and right mirror imaged versions also.

Original seller didn't pay attention, apparently.

[Or didn't give a whit.... :( ]

grumpy
08-07-2006, 07:31 AM
any thoughts about possible "too much bass"?

random thoughts:
placement, personal preference, room size and treatments, settings of mid/high level
controls, receiver "loudness" control on?, ...

-grumpy

mbask
08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
random thoughts:
placement, personal preference, room size and treatments, settings of mid/high level
controls, receiver "loudness" control on?, ...

-grumpy
Thanks grumpy...ive been playing with some of those things you mentionedOne thing for sure is they sound better spread apart at least 6 feet.when they were close to each other (as in above pix) the bass was intensified for reasons technically unknown to me.. mbask

DavidF
08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks grumpy...ive been playing with some of those things you mentionedOne thing for sure is they sound better spread apart at least 6 feet.when they were close to each other (as in above pix) the bass was intensified for reasons technically unknown to me.. mbask

Probably a room-boom effect for where you had the speaker located.

I have not heard the 4411 in stock enclosures. I have listened to the exact same components in a custom enclosure with the 4411 xover, with the L112 xover, and with the L150 (not the “A” which is the same as the L112) xover. I have also listened to the 4412 components, again all stock but in a custom enclosure.

I always found the bass higher in level on the 4411 setup than with the others. When moved out from the walls, this diminished the bass level more in balance with the total spectrum. This, along with the array of the drivers on the baffle, led me to believe that the 4411 was designed for near field location and well out into the room. As you would expect to find mounted over a mixing board or remote station. Move them closer to boundaries and the bass level gets reinforced too much. Don't even think about corner placement.

Try moving them around the room to see for yourself.

DavidF

mbask
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Probably a room-boom effect for where you had the speaker located.

This, along with the array of the drivers on the baffle, led me to believe that the 4411 was designed for near field location and well out into the room. As you would expect to find mounted over a mixing board or remote station. Move them closer to boundaries and the bass level gets reinforced too much. Don't even think about corner placement.</p>
Try moving them around the room to see for yourself.

DavidF
Ah yes...that makes sense! their to close to the wall behind. Why was that not obvious to me?....I feel staggeringly smart right now. have you any pix of the mods (4411components-custom cabs) you mentioned?

JonyBgood
01-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi mbask :) ,
I'm new on the forum. Perhaps it's going to sound funny but I don't find the button we must press to post a message:banghead: ! Could you please tell what I must do to post my own messages without pressing on the "post reply" button. I'm asking you because you possess JBL 4411 as I do and I wanted to ask few questions about these loudspeakers.:thmbsup:
Thank you very much, Best regards.
JonyBgood.

grumpy
01-19-2007, 03:56 PM
back up a level... "New Thread"