PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice needed

invstbiker
07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey guys, as you propably are aware the Sturgis MC rally starts here in 1 week. Here's my dilema. On Deck number two I have 6 JBL EON's hanging in series. During the daytime they play well, then at night some have a crackle type noise. I've swapped them out for the spares I have but still has this intermittant crackling only at night. I'm perplexed. The whole system is the same as last year, amps wiring, etc

Could the signal be too hot?

Very Strange, any advice appreciated.

Cell 605-490-0543

THX

John
07-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I would think your problem is in your electronics and not your speakers. Your speakers only reproduce what the amp tells it to!!!:hmm:

Robh3606
07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Any lights that could cause interference?? What else runs at night that could mess up the power they are on???

Rob:)

boputnam
07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Any lights that could cause interference?? Neon...

or, a Bug Zapper

:yes:

invstbiker
07-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes, Lots of colored neon's, is there a simple device to put on the speaker 110 volt power cable to isolate the interference? Suggestions?

boputnam
07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Can you put the audio on a separate circuit and separate ground?

invstbiker
07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Flourescent's not neons

hmolwitz
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Or a true ups battery backup will give you a sine wave power supply.

subwoof
07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
You omit one detail - are these powered??

If so then make SURE you are driving these with a true differential source!

90% of the "pro" gear out there have "impedance" corrected balanced outs ( mackie, soundcraft, behringer, samson,yamaha, etc ) that only put a resistor to ground on the cold lead ( - ).

This is fine for most apps but a long distance send ( and I have to assume yours is REAL long ) requires a real output whose ground can be lifted if needed since the powered speakers will have a *local* ground reference!

Balanced inputs are easy - real balanced outputs cost a LOT and only the best audio gear have them.

Get an aphex compellor, dominator, or a multiple delay unit that has transformered outputs. You can use a UREI LA22 but that's a grand.

Post the complete component configuration and maybe an obvious solution will be seen.

sub

invstbiker
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
I just supply the signal to these EON's. They have their own volume control.

invstbiker
07-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Kudos to Rob :applaud: who first pointed me in the direction of lights. Turns out there are 3 flourescents on photocells that when they go on the EON's don't like 'em. These 3 lights were not on the building last year at this time as we were in the middle of construction. I will now change these style lights out and problem solved. Thx to all!! This forum has proved itself again, without it, I'd still be trying to figure it out...

If anyone needs some eye candy, check out www.oneeyedjackssaloon.com (http://www.oneeyedjackssaloon.com) the week of August 6th, click on web cams, pole cam. This is not an advertisement, simply good, clean adult fun. And if you're in the area, stop in and say hello...

JBLnsince1959
07-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Steve:

good to hear you got it worked out...:applaud: yes, Rob and gang are incredible...:D

I've been meaning to post the pictures of your place on the forum ( and still will) but my scanner went down and not enough time to figure it out..

Have a great, crazy and profitable couple of weeks, if we were'nt so busy with my business we'll be up to say hi

invstbiker
07-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Thx for the kind thoughts...