PDA

View Full Version : The JBL Story - 60 Years of Audio Innovation (New Book)

loman69
07-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Book Description
Of all American audio companies, JBL holds the record for overall longevity and product renown. To celebrate sixty years of success, this book offers details on the people and products that have made this company famous. From car stereos to concert hall installations, JBL is the most recognized audio brand in the world. Written by audio expert John Eargle, this book features full-color photos, historical advertisements, and hunderds of diagrams and images, many taken right from JBL's archives. Topics include stories behind the development of innovative applications for consumer products, as well as systems installations for stadiums, tour sound, movie theaters, recording studios, and places of worship. In addition to the technical info that will help explain the innovation, this book will cover the brilliant engineers, and colorful record producers, musicians and technicians who had the vision to pursue a "better way". This book is for anyone interested in the behind-the-scenes of a business success story, and who is fascinated on how amplified sound is applied in almost every aspect of our lives - from the home to the concert hall.
Product Details
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: JBL Pro Audio Publications (September 20, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN: 1423412818

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423412818/sr=1-1/qid=1153825958/ref=sr_1_1/102-6555271-3001705?ie=UTF8&s=books

Storm
07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I so wish they would put out an Altec book of some kind. I would buy it in a heart-beat, literally!

Oh well, I guess I will have to be patient.

Anyone out there working on such a project - Altec History?

Thanks.

;)

Don McRitchie
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes, a former Altec employee named Dave Reed is in the process of writing an Altec history book that he hopes to complete in a year. For now, there is this:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11205&highlight=western+electric

Rolf
07-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info of this NOW ORDERD book! I really looking forward to receive it!

Wolf
07-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Hello,
how did you order that Altec-book? I don't understand nothing on that side.
I tried to write an info in the contact formular, but all i earned was an error. Don't really know which.
Do you know the mail-adress of Stereo-Sound?
Thank you
Wolf

Don McRitchie
07-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Send an email to the following address stating your request for pricing on the Altec book and your location. They will quote you a price for both purchase and shipping to your location. They will also give you information on their bank account to which you will have to do an electronic bank transfer if you agree to purchase.

[email protected]

Rolf
07-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Just to clear things up: I ordered the JBL book, NOT the Altec book.

Guido
11-22-2006, 06:13 AM
I ordered this book in July!!!

Today I got the message that delivery is delayed till 13th december.

Does anyone knw what's the problem here??

hjames
11-22-2006, 07:01 AM

Today I got the message that delivery is delayed till 13th December.

Does anyone know what's the problem here??

I preordered the book in August.
After it was delayed the last time, I canceled the order.
I don't know why such a delay ...
I have preordered books and music before with no problem.

Quite frustrating!

On a similar Eargle topic -
has anyone got a source for any of the John Eargle CDs (demos?)
such as "Eargle on Everest" ?

Don C
11-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Maybe it was delayed so that the new Everest could be included.

hjames
11-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Maybe it was delayed so that the new Everest could be included.

AH - so it's to be 61 years of JBL, is it (grin) ...

glen
11-27-2006, 10:15 AM

Today I got the message that delivery is delayed till 13th december.

Does anyone knw what's the problem here??

Now I've heard from Amazon this will be delayed until late January!
This might not be bad news if they're including extra info about the new statement speaker, or even catching errors that might have snuck through.
But I'm beginning to wonder if this is on the verge of cancellation.
Doesn't anybody have the inside line on this?
Please share the information if you do.

Guido
11-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Yep, delayed till january. Strange

glen
01-25-2007, 10:17 AM
JBL book now delayed until mid February.
Does anyone know the cause of the hold-up?

Hello from Amazon.com.

We wanted to let you know that there is a delay with some items in the
order you placed on September 07 2006 19:00 PDT

Please visit the Order Update page in Your Account at the address below
to approve the delay for the unavailable items:
By approving the delay, you are letting us know that you still want
us to ship the unavailable items to you as soon as possible, though
they may arrive later than expected. If we have not received your
approval by February 01 2007 and the items are still not available,
we will cancel them from your order.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Wornears
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Warning -- long and ranting

I have worked in high-performance automotive/racing book publishing -- specialized book publishing in small press runs like this title. I can guess what kind of tense conversations are going on among all the parties concerned about the push-back because I've been in them.

Could be plenty of reasons for the recurring delays, ranging from tepid pre-orders or author hasn't got it finished, for example. The price point of $20.00 for a 320 page, 4-color book doesn't give them that much net profit vs. production/shipping/stocking/paying graft/spiffs/discounts to get it in stores and on bookshelves in the first place, either -- assuming lots of color images (which you have to have), and even if it is printed in the Far East where color production costs are usually the lowest. Probably can only make money by selling it on the Net.

One point is certain -- no one likes to delay a book's roll-out and there are plenty of frustrated people on the other side of the order form. Plus, in this case they missed the Xmas book-buying season, which is the major selling portion of the year for new books. Big mistake. Also makes the "60 Years" title wrong and silly and you lost most of its sales effectiveness/push. I would have been fired if this had happened to one of the books I was in charge of.

IF I controlled its marketing, and wanted to give it at least a fair chance at making a profit and surviving more than one press run, I'd give any current pre-order money back, and include a written letter from the publisher explaining and apologizing and asking/begging for your business in the future.

Or I'd explain and fess up for the delay, but because you have been so loyal (and let us use your money for the months we've charged you for it) -- we're going to keep it and then send the book to you and pay for the shipping, or at XX% off the price you originally paid.

Plus, for new on-line orders, I'd offer a discount coupon for 15% off list price from your favorite JBL/Harmon audio store on any product over $50--$100. Just sent in proof of purchase and store verification.

I'd then hold off putting it out and on the shelves until the first part of Oct 2007 to get the Xmas buyers to purchase it at full list. I'd also raise the price to $24.99 (list), but offer pre-orders at a lower price and the coupon.

For a book of this kind, the money is not usually made on the first buying cycle, but when the book is put on the "remainder" table with "Originally $24.99, Now $19.99!" stickers all over it. Thus, optimize that first buying cycle's numbers by getting it in the Xmas buying time. Lots of competition in the stores, but there are more people in them with money in their pocket and motivation to spend it.

The current cover is boring too -- I'd resurrect/recreate/pay-for in color the old Maxell ad/poster of the sonic boom force sound blowing the guy's (except I'd use a couple) hair back. THAT would say JBL, not pics of drivers (snore). Those go inside. Plus, I'd get Les Paul's name prominent -- use his marketing leverage, the guy is still playing thank goodness! The way they are going he might pass before they get the book out!

I'd better switch to decaf...

glen
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Hope it's not going to be cancelled.
Any publicity value from association with the 60th anniversary is evaporating.

note from Amazon:

"Thanks for approving the delay in your order.

We appreciate your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Please
note that we don't charge you for an item until we're ready to ship it.
On
the day we ship your order, we'll send you an e-mail message confirming
its
contents and the shipping method.

Thank you for visiting Amazon.com!"

glen
03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Hello from Amazon.com.

order you placed on September 07 2006 19:00 PDT (Order#...

hjames
03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Hello from Amazon.com.

order you placed on September 07 2006 19:00 PDT (Order#...

You know - the 75th Anniversary is ... just around the corner!

SUPERBEE
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
The JBL Story - 60 Years of Audio Innovation that you will never read

Thats the revised title so I was told

Gordzilla
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
It's been so long since I ordered this book that I cannot even find documentation to show if Amazon took money out of my checking account for it.

I have no expectations to ever see this book .

It's a shame, as I bet there was some amazing stuff in there!

:banghead:

coherent_guy
03-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Warning -- long and ranting

I have worked in high-performance automotive/racing book publishing -- specialized book publishing in small press runs like this title. I can guess what kind of tense conversations are going on among all the parties concerned about the push-back because I've been in them.

snip . . .

The current cover is boring too -- I'd resurrect/recreate/pay-for in color the old Maxell ad/poster of the sonic boom force sound blowing the guy's (except I'd use a couple) hair back. THAT would say JBL, not pics of drivers (snore). Those go inside. Plus, I'd get Les Paul's name prominent -- use his marketing leverage, the guy is still playing thank goodness! The way they are going he might pass before they get the book out!

I'd better switch to decaf...

Excellent post Wornears, your explanation makes sense out of a seemingly non-sensical situation. Gawd, even books printed overseas, what next, my Wonder Bread from China??

I can't wait to read the high-end rags review of this book. And what about a Bose book? :barf:

Zilch
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Wonder Bread, huh?

Well, that explains a lot.... :p

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Gawd, even books printed overseas, what next, my Wonder Bread from China??

we visited the in-laws in Vietnam last year. They of course figured that I had to have special food and guess what appeared on the table at dinner ? VnWB.

Books ? Some of the most lavish, beautiful coffee table books that I've seen were printed in Hong Kong.

remusr
03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
March 25, 2007 04:55am
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more
items in the order you placed on November 28 2006 13:12 PST

John Eargle (Author) "The Jbl Story - 60 Years of Audio Innovation"
[Paperback]

You can access this order by clicking the Your Account button in the
upper right corner of any page at Amazon.ca. Once there, you can make
changes to unshipped orders, cancel unshipped items, track shipped
packages, modify your account settings, and do much more. For more
information about your order, please visit the following page:

Rolf
03-29-2007, 12:08 PM
March 25, 2007 04:55am
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more
items in the order you placed on November 28 2006 13:12 PST

John Eargle (Author) "The Jbl Story - 60 Years of Audio Innovation"
[Paperback]

You can access this order by clicking the Your Account button in the
upper right corner of any page at Amazon.ca. Once there, you can make
changes to unshipped orders, cancel unshipped items, track shipped
packages, modify your account settings, and do much more. For more
information about your order, please visit the following page:

Right! Maybe with the 70th anniversary, and the book re written a little.

This really stick's!

glen
04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Hello from Amazon.com.

We wanted to let you know that there is a delay with some items in the order you placed on September 07 2006 19:00 PDT

Please visit the Order Update page in Your Account at the address below to approve the delay for the unavailable items:(

richard c.
04-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Just got the email that it has shipped! I hope it's not a cruel joke:(

Richard C.

Titanium Dome
04-30-2007, 06:48 AM

Richard C.

Gosh, let's hope it's out. Amazon still tells me "Not Yet Shipped."

hjames
04-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Richard C.

Okay - I went back in and reordered it ...
I had ordered it last August but after 3 delays I canceled it in November

We'll see ... :D

Thomax
04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I had an email too from Amazon saing it has been shipped today !!! :applaud: I ordered it in august and never cancelled it, so I'll probably be one of the first to have it !

Harvey Gerst
04-30-2007, 12:57 PM
At this point, I'll only buy it if I'm in it!!:D

moparfan
04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Amazon tells me it shipped and will be here May 5th.

Donald
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
My arrival date is 5/10. I guess they finally fixed the printing press.

Hofmannhp
05-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Amazon tells me it shipped and will be here May 5th.

the same with mine

HP

Bruno GINARD
05-01-2007, 02:16 AM
.............and 17 May for me (FRance)...........

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Alas, no good news for me. Received this AM from Amazon:

We wanted to let you know that there is a delay with some items
in the order you placed on March 11 2007 14:19 PDT... :(

glen
05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Well I'll let you know what it's like since I might be the first to get it:D

Order Placed: September 7, 2006

Delivery estimate: May 2, 2007 - May 31, 2007

So I'm looking for mine starting TOMORROW:applaud:

Just left Memphis:
May 1, 2007 04:03:00 PM MEMPHIS TN US Departure Scan

Gordzilla
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
finally. after waiting 6 months and more... the books are coming.

amazon says that i should get mine on or around may 7th. i hope it comes this week, usually the actual arrival is faster than their date.

cannot wait to see this book!

vettedrummer
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I just got word my JBL book will be here by 8 May, It's in the mail! I can't wait, just getting done reading the McIntosh book. I can't understand why that one is $150.00? I got a large corvette book for Christmas done in red leather with a real Corvette logo on the cover and it was less than $50.00! The Mac book is nowhere near as nice. I guess if something even says McIntosh on it the price soars! LOL

glen
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I just got word my JBL book will be here by 8 May, It's in the mail! I can't wait, just getting done reading the McIntosh book. I can't understand why that one is $150.00? I got a large corvette book for Christmas done in red leather with a real Corvette logo on the cover and it was less than $50.00! The Mac book is nowhere near as nice. I guess if something even says McIntosh on it the price soars! LOL
It's all about how many copies they expect to sell and how much effort went into putting the book together. Corvette = lots of buyers + easy to gather material (17,100,000 google hits for corvette).
McIntosh = few buyers + hard to gather material (1,390,000 google hits for McIntosh (http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/mcintosh%26r%3D67&usg=AFrqEzfJ8qgE5BFcnRhGCGbF-947w9_zMg) audio (http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/audio%26r%3D67&usg=AFrqEzfj9BzxirPeNOxQyLYvq47rXxCgeQ))

glen
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Hey Harvey,

You certainly deserve to be in it for the innovations you made that helped JBL speakers become the workhorse of the music industry!

You should sign a copy we can auction off to raise website money.

Rafael
05-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi all,

I had no problem to get the book. There is a japanese book store in Düsseldorf, germany ( book store nippon) from which i got the book (an "altec" issue too) within two weeks. They are very friendly and packing is perfect. BTW, there are pictures of arnold wolf in the book unpacking his paragon design model from a shoebox...All photos are just perfect.

Greeting, Rafael

Guido
05-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Rafael!

This info is 9 month late :p

Titanium Dome
05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Alas, no good news for me. Received this AM from Amazon: We wanted to let you know that there is a delay with some items
in the order you placed on March 11 2007 14:19 PDT...

:(

And 24 hours later I get an email informing me it shipped yesterday.

:applaud:

Woo hoo! but

:wtf:

Harvey Gerst
05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Hey Harvey,

You certainly deserve to be in it for the innovations you made that helped JBL speakers become the workhorse of the music industry!

You should sign a copy we can auction off to raise website money.
I'd be happy to sign as many books as people want me to sign, but wouldn't that diminish the value of their book?:)

Mr. Widget
05-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I'd be happy to sign as many books as people want me to sign, but wouldn't that diminish the value of their book?:):rotfl:

Widget

kingjames
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
I just bought one. Pretty cheap I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-JBL-STORY-60-YEARS-OF-AUDIO-INNOVATION-BOOK_W0QQitemZ130108145517QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38100 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Robh3606
05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Mine shipped today from New Jersey so I might get lucky tommorow!!

Rob:)

Zilch
05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Y'all keep this up, and it's gonna be on backorder again.... :p

glen
05-02-2007, 05:57 PM
It's in my hot little hands!

glen
05-02-2007, 06:58 PM
You ARE in it Harvey, on page 24. Kinda vague credit saying you were "involved in product developement" in the musical instrument/sound reiforcement area and "provided a valuable liason with many of the third party companies"

Book has lots of pictures, and tries to cover a lot of ground, touching on ALL of JBL's products and applications but is sometimes short on detail

hjames
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I just got MY email from Amazon -- Looks like I'll have it 10 days after I RE-ordered it

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com (http://amazon.com/):

Amazon.com (http://amazon.com/) items (Sold by Amazon.com (http://amazon.com/), LLC):
1 The JBL Story - 60 Years ... $19.77

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 09-May-2007).

Posted 04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Okay - I went back in and reordered it ...
I had ordered it last August but after 3 delays I canceled it in November

We'll see ... :D

Robh3606
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I got mine today as well.

Rob:bouncy:

Harvey Gerst
05-03-2007, 07:40 PM
You ARE in it Harvey, on page 24. Kinda vague credit saying you were "involved in product development" in the musical instrument/sound reiforcement area and "provided a valuable liason with many of the third party companies"
Jeez,

That's it? I ordered the damn book just for that one line? "Involved in product development"?

Jeez.

57BELAIRE
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
It's in my hot little hands!

Just got nmy shipping notice! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Now, Thats a happy man!

Harvey Gerst
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Got mine today. Very nicely done.

Titanium Dome
05-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Got mine yesterday. $19.77 delivered.

The book is nice, yet...

glen
05-10-2007, 09:27 PM
The book is nice, yet...
...it sometimes feels more like a catalog than a book?

I like the writing that is there, wish there was more of it.
Not sure I'm looking forward to the church installation section.

57BELAIRE
05-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi all,

I had no problem to get the book. There is a japanese book store in Düsseldorf, germany ( book store nippon) from which i got the book (an "altec" issue too) within two weeks. They are very friendly and packing is perfect. BTW, there are pictures of arnold wolf in the book unpacking his paragon design model from a shoebox...All photos are just perfect.

Greeting, Rafael

Hmmm....you must have the Japanese version

Anyone else see this picture? :blink:

glen
05-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Hmmm....you must have the Japanese version

Anyone else see this picture? :blink:
Rafael may be thinking of the StereoSound special issues about JBL, Altec or the StereoSound 40th anniversary issue which featured the new Everest on the cover.
Amazon Japan was listing only the English version of Eargle's "JBL: 60 Years of Innovation" book.

herve M
05-13-2007, 03:08 AM
:) Got mine yesterday ! 21 euro .

Herve M

Dreamcatcher
05-16-2007, 06:42 PM
I just bought one. Pretty cheap I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-JBL-STORY-60-YEARS-OF-AUDIO-INNOVATION-BOOK_W0QQitemZ130108145517QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38100 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Yeah! But most of models are not been listed, it's also not very detail, I hope another 60-year-anniversary book issued by Japanese will be much more detail.

Titanium Dome
05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Got mine yesterday. $19.77 delivered.

The book is nice, yet...

...it sometimes feels more like a catalog than a book?

I like the writing that is there, wish there was more of it.
Not sure I'm looking forward to the church installation section.

Yeah! But most of models are not been listed, it's also not very detail, I hope another 60-year-anniversary book issued by Japanese will be much more detail.

Yes, that's what I was implying. It has a marketing brochure feel to it in places. I was happy to see a page featuring the Performance Series, but disappointed that there were no details whatsoever about its development or unique features.

In this regard, Giskard has let out a lot more info, though someday I wish he'd tell all or get Greg Timbers to do it.

vettedrummer
05-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I got my copy about 2 weeks ago. It really isn't what I had hoped for. I thought they might show more about the construction of the Paragon, or reasons for why JBL did the marketing they did and why they have left us here in the US. Lots of photos about their installations in concert halls and stadiums but, not much detail about anything I care about. Cheers, Frank

greyhound
05-26-2007, 02:44 AM
got it today. it gives a good overall view of the jbl history and it looks good. pictures are great so im looking forward to reading it.
I can understand te critics caus e i hoped to get more technical info on each speakerline. but its a good book and not very expensive. 22 euro

SEAWOLF97
08-24-2011, 10:55 AM
was amazed that there were NO photos or even mention of the L-series, like they never existed :eek:

(L1/3/5/7/CL505)

hjames
08-24-2011, 12:07 PM
was amazed that there were NO photos or even mention of the L-series, like they never existed :eek:

(L1/3/5/7)

Oh, the johnny come lately L series ...
kinda figured you for the older Teak look L series ...

Then again, the nice thing about the L series is there are so many of them ...
Like the old L36, L100, L200s
Or the L100T/etc series...
Or the L100T3/etc series
Or those big pyramid shaped L250 things that came later ...
Even those L90/L100 towers from the European L-Series

So many different things are part of their own L-series ...
what does "L series" even mean any more??

Mr. Widget
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh, the johnny come lately L series ...I have been a JBL fan since the '70s and am pretty familiar with so much that is JBL and I never knew of that "L" Series until spending time on this site. Still to this day, I have never seen or heard any of those "L" Series speakers.

I guess I wouldn't consider them a definitive series, but I may be mistaken here.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
08-24-2011, 02:10 PM
So many different things are part of their own L-series ...
what does "L series" even mean any more??

wow, you even "quoted" the answer to your own question

(L1/3/5/7)

Oh, the johnny come lately L series ...
kinda figured you for the older Teak look L series .

I had L7's ...sounded fine ...couldn't stand the looks. , but I still use the
matching center - CL505

there are members here in love with those models ..... I had $100 in mine , while
many other speakers were waiting in line for playing time ....when confronted with a deal
to trade them for a 6 month old, $3200 laptop ...well, the choice was easy.

BMWCCA
08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
....when confronted with a deal
to trade them for a 6 month old, $3200 laptop ...well, the choice was easy.

Should of at least held out for a Mac! ;)

SEAWOLF97
08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Should of at least held out for a Mac! ;)

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.