PDA

View Full Version : 035Ti(A) reliability

lauries2
07-24-2006, 10:24 PM
G'day! I just picked up a pair of L60Ts at a garage sale and the 035Ti HF drivers were missing. I've ordered a new pair (035TiA), but it got me wondering - why they heck were they removed? Are there reliability poblems with this driver? The HF drivers in my 4410s have never missed a beat...

Titanium Dome
07-24-2006, 11:53 PM
The answer depends on your expectations. If ten years of good service is what you're looking for, then I can say that the 035TiA is reliable.

I have ten that are original drivers in some of my speakers from the mid 1990s, and they still work and measure well today. I also have a pair of L60T and the tweeters have been rock solid, while the 8" woofers seem to be less reliable.

My guess is that someone took the tweeters out of yours to sell them to make a quick buck.

kaz
07-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Hello!

My experience with the 035ti and the later 035tiA has been nothing but fantastic. I have owned and used more than a dozen of the aforementioned drivers in the past in the L20t, your newly aquired L60t, the bigger brother L80t, and the L100t/t3.
Currently I have L5's and multiple L1's in a 7-channel Home Theater arrangement.

Never a problem with the tweeters. Very reliable.
Since I am so heavily invested in 035tiA products, I am always on the lookout for a replacement set, just in case.
I am dismayed at the number of crushed domes I see in the aftermarket, mangled and bent screens... yet the listing will say, "dented dustcap, plays perfectly".:banghead:

I agree with Titanium Dome, the tweeters were surely eBayed for quick cash.

Good luck in restoring the L60t's.

lauries2
07-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the responses! It turns out that one of the 035Ti drivers came with the speakers, so it probably wasn't a rip-and-sell job. The driver is cosmetically fine, but dead as a Dodo. I'm starting to guess that these speakers are the victims of a drunken night with a 30W amp cranked to 10+.

I have a pair of new 035TiA drivers coming, so I'll get a diaphragm kit for the dead 035Ti and keep it as a spare (I'm pretty sure this is the HF driver used in my 4410s as well). Does anyone know where I can get a diaphragm kit "cheap" (:)) in Canada?

The LF drivers are with the local repair agent for new foam surrounds. The HF drivers should be here from the dealer at the end of the week... looking forward to hearing these things for the first time!

johnaec
07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
The LF drivers are with the local repair agent for new foam surrounds.Make sure he mounts the foam on the BACK of the speakers! Many places take the easy way out and glue them to the fronts, but this upsets the geometry of the moving assembly, especially on smaller speakers! Give him a call to make sure!

John

edgewound
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
G'day! I just picked up a pair of L60Ts at a garage sale and the 035Ti HF drivers were missing. I've ordered a new pair (035TiA), but it got me wondering - why they heck were they removed? Are there reliability poblems with this driver? The HF drivers in my 4410s have never missed a beat...

You must be aware that replacing 035ti (L60t) with 035tia (L60t3) is not a simple drop in procedure.

The 035ti terminals are 180* apart, whereas the 035tia terminals are next to each other. The cabinets' mounting hole that each generation came in are routed accordingly to the terminals.

A problem that both 035ti(a)'s have is the foam dampening plug under the diaphragm that rots to goo over a decade or so and migrates to the gap impeding voice coil movement and then eventual failure by holding the heat in.

So....I hope that info is useful to you.

johnaec
07-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Actually, I think there was a little overlap from JBL in 035Ti-Tia models - check message #5 in this link, where I previously posted pics of 3 variations: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4272&highlight=035Ti

John

duaneage
08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
You can open the mounting hole a bit to get a 035 tia in there. JBL stated as much in their literature and the tia is a verified replacement for the previous model

lauries2
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks! I received the 035TiA drivers last week and they will require some slight adjustment. I expect all will be well when I releive the hole or trim the driver skirt (not sure whch one I'll do yet).