PDA

View Full Version : Jubals.......Sound that Great?

Jeff M
07-18-2006, 04:05 PM
I am eyeballing a set of L65's and wondered if they really live up to their hype? I currently use 4333A's and L166's. Also, what is the max price I should/could go on the L65's? The 126A's should be refoamed, but the cabs, glass, mids and of course the slots are in great shape. Is $600 too much or should I be content with my current JBL's?:blah:

Triumph Don
07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
I would think the Jubals would make the 166's sound like they had socks on them. Any way you could do a side by side comparison?

johnaec
07-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Some people like L65's - some don't. I happen to like them, but usually add a little EQ. $600 sounds about right if all they need are surrounds.

John

bigstereo
07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Jeff
I highly recommend that you buy the Jubals. And then sell me your 4333's for the price you paid for them. I will pick them up of course. ;)

RJ

Jeff M
07-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Heh.......sorry, I was sniped at the last second:bs: . Lost by $10:blink: . Oh well, maybe I can listen to a set someday and hear what I missed:banghead: .

Audiobeer
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Trust me......and everyone else. If you own a good pair of 4333s you won't gain anything with the jubals. The Jubals are great speakers if set up right and with good accoustics........but even if you had a pair set up right and the 4333s set up all wrong you'll still like the 4333s. Jubals like any other JBL speaker with a good WAF factor will only appreciate. Any pair purchased at a good price is a nice investment.

BMWCCA
07-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Heh.......sorry, I was sniped at the last secondHave you ever seen an Ebay auction for anything worthwhile at a reasonable price that wasn't won in the last seconds? Sniping is the only way to level the playing field, unless you're just rich and dabbling?! Looks like your snipe client just got beat by someone else's faster snipe client. Appears to have gotten two bids in the last four seconds. Philosophically, you bid the maximum amount you feel something is worth and it shouldn't matter then if you get sniped. It just requires being honest with yourself. Yeah, and I seldom practice what I preach, either. And I was ready to save that 25% with local pickup, too! :montyp:

Edwards
07-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Many years back, 1977 or 1978 I was in need of my first pair of real speakers. I had listened to the 166's and was ready to make a purchase. I went to the store with money in hand, and was ready to buy the 166's. There was a pair of L-65's next to them in the listening room, so we gave them a quick listen. The tweeter was incredibly smooth, I thought that the 166's much more forward bordering on shrill by compairison.

After spending the entire afternoon A/B compairing the two, I wound up asking my Dad to borrow some money so that I could buy the smoother L-65's.

I can not speak for how the two systems compare today, but I still have that same pair of L-65's and I still enjoy them. I think that I paid $850 for the pair, and almost 30 years later thay still sound wonderfull.

I do not think that you can go wrong either way. Enjoy.

slxrti
07-21-2006, 07:25 AM
I am eyeballing a set of L65's and wondered if they really live up to their hype? I currently use 4333A's and L166's. Also, what is the max price I should/could go on the L65's? The 126A's should be refoamed, but the cabs, glass, mids and of course the slots are in great shape. Is $600 too much or should I be content with my current JBL's?:blah:

I own a pair of of jubal, For my taste they were VERY bright. This was after I turned down the high freq level control. I was unable to achieve a
balance/neutral sound.

@ $600 seems fair, the tweeter sells for 400 on ebay.

slxrti