PDA

View Full Version : D130 recone

clubman
07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Played intermitenly now is dead and reads as a open when checked with a ohm meter. Anyone know if the d130 recone kits on ebay are worth anything? if so how about instalation, I am pretty handy so I think I could handle it enless its just way hard. any information would be great.

Baron030
07-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi Clubman

I know it's heart breaking to have a driver die.:crying:
But, forget about the cheap kits. Just bit the bullet and get the driver professionally re-coned. And if you know the driver has been driven really hard, you might consider having the magnet re-charged as well. I recently had my D-130s re-coned and re-charged at Orange County Speakers. Now, they are as good as new. Sure, it’s not cheap to have this kind of work done. But, if you amortize the cost over the expected life span of the driver, it becomes really cheap. Considering, that the original cones gave me 32 years of service, I would expect the re-cones to last a long time as well. So, the high cost is still a very good value.

Baron030 :)

clubman
07-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, I talked to a proffessional today and he told me that my D130 is to old to recone. He stated that the gap is to narrow for the recone kits voice coil to fit. And it would be better just to find another D130 to replace it. anyone ever hear of this or have any issuse with gap sizes. its weird cause now that its back home its playing fine again but goes out and comes back.

Josh

Zilch
07-18-2006, 07:41 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2372&postcount=19

edgewound
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, I talked to a proffessional today and he told me that my D130 is to old to recone. He stated that the gap is to narrow for the recone kits voice coil to fit. And it would be better just to find another D130 to replace it. anyone ever hear of this or have any issuse with gap sizes. its weird cause now that its back home its playing fine again but goes out and comes back.

Josh

Hi Josh,

It sounds like the tinsel lead wires need replacing. They oxidize and break down after so many years. The thing about replacing lead wires is the solder...it needs to be done with an aluminum solder or aluminum compatible, because of the aluminum voice coil. Very delicate procedure on a 40-50 year old speaker...it's easy to burn the cone...esp a thin one like the D130.

The early D130's had an .053" gap width which later changed to .057" when the D130F was introduced.

There's about a 50-50 chance you have a narrow gap, but if they need to be reconed and gap modified, the factory can do that....unless they've stopped and I'm not aware of that. If that's the case it can still be done. Cost will vary outside the factory.

clubman
07-20-2006, 07:20 AM
that is exactly what it was, did the repair myself with a tiny soldering iron and its playing good as new now. Took it in to a repair shop to get the surround coated with something to fix the hairline cracks. I am guess that my gap is the smaller one. I am pretty sure this D130 was one of the first to be made right after the really old ones with the paper lable for the model and such.

also..i am playing these with a Pioneer VSX-09tx Elite.....really kinda all i have as for home hifi. I have some older crowns and pv's but I am worried they have to much power for the vintage speaker.

any ideas?