PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing A-7

1zenlunatic
11-12-2003, 11:23 PM
I just parted out my s8r system on ebay, did pretty good. I still have the cabinets.. much harder to sell. I miss them already. Anyhow, I came across a local selling a pair of Altec A-7s and i got that vintage audio craving...

How much is a clean pair of vintage A-7s worth?
Price range? Any info would be appreciated..

boputnam
11-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 1zenlunatic
I just parted out my s8r system on ebay, did pretty good. ... I miss them already. :screwy:

Must be the syntax... :confused:

1zenlunatic
11-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Me no syntax use punk!
:banghead:

Altec Fan
11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi 1zenlunatic,

A month ago I bought four A7-500 systems for $100 each. Two of them are 828 cabinets in very nice condition with nearly sequential serial numbers on the individual components. The other two are good but one is an 825 and the other is another 828. I realize those prices are probably near the bottom of the range but they *can* be had for that. :)

Later . . .

MikeM
11-18-2003, 04:43 PM
How do you like the Altec #19?

Altec Fan
11-18-2003, 07:37 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Does that explain it? I enjoy dynamics with transient response as close to real as it can get. Horns do very well in that respect. I also like effortless bottom end. Not the constipated sound that is produced by an eight inch :rotfl: SUBwoofer :rotfl: :rotfl: !!!!!!!!

The only downside is their size and even that has it's benefits. Just sitting quietly they make their presence known when you walk into the room. When someone inevitably asks about them I'm obliged to show them off.

Model 19's were introduced when I was in high school and I couldn't afford them at that time. I consider myself fortunate to be able to own a pair now. :thmbsup:

Later . . .

MikeM
11-19-2003, 07:04 AM
Ya seeing your pic took me back a few years. At one time I had 4 of them 2 on two horns in the center. Sometimes I drove them so hard you could hear the suspention on the woofers flexing. I bought mine brand new for 550.00 each The store i bought them from had only 4 Got the last 2 demos for 500.00 each Both oak like yours loved them. Never had them hooked up to really good electronics though. All my friends were impressed by them everyone had thier version. You could buy the drivers and crossover toghter as a package complete wholesale for 350.00. Ax cabnets were under 200 shipped. Now I think ive seen the ax go for 4000.00 new yikes.:smthsail: