PDA

View Full Version : 811b/806a 16ohm need bass.

ark
07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I have a new pair of Altec 811b with 806a 16ohm drivers...

What next?
JBL 2226?

8ohm or 16 ohm?

I was planning on a simple first order crossover.

would an 8ohm driver recieve more current and have its efficency notched up a bit to match the approx 106db efficient 806a?

Also if Im crossed over at 800hz..

doesn't a 15" speaker exhibit distortion once it as the frequencies get to around 200hz?

with a crossover at 800hz shouldn't I be looking for an 8" driver?
Supravox 215 GMF? something like that?

Any other drivers that would be a good or better match than the 2226?
Something by B&w? I don't need high power handling with an 8 wpc amp.

One more thing..

I have two 97db efficient woofers.. at 8ohms.. what would their combined efficiency be? would they match the horn without needing resistors?

Thanks a ton!
I've got a lot to learn, but what a great resource this site is?

Ark

yggdrasil
07-17-2006, 05:26 AM
What will you be using the speakers for? Music? Room?

You should also look in the library at the home models: Model 19, Santiago.

ark
07-17-2006, 06:27 PM
i want to build cabinets for home use in a sparsely furnished 12x16ft room.. and sound good when im up and walking around..
thus the 8" driver sounds good..
I don't mind a bigger cabinet.. if ness... want detail, high efficiency and musicality..

also something that would serve other top-ends well as i experiement..

so i was the jbl 2226 or supravox 8" 215 gmf so accompany the altec horn..
would there be an advantage to an 8" driver? imaging? crossover point due to less cone breakup at 800 or even 1600hz?

yggdrasil
07-18-2006, 08:19 AM
The 806/811 combo is very dynamic. I am not familiar with the Supravox woofers, but would think that they will be faced with an impossible challenge trying to match the 806/811.

You will (most likely) have to pad down the 806 to match the woofer. You will have to decied between quite efficient woofers like 2226/2225 or not so efficient woofers like 2235(with better low frequency response).

Also you will have to decide if you want to add an UHF-driver like 2405/2402.

I did a project a while back with the 806/811: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4950

There are several active threads in the general forum now regarding the Altec 19's. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11457
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11484
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11483

panos29
07-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Dear ARK, I am currently having the exact driver horn combination you have. I am using it on top of a back loaded horn with Tannoy 15" monitor HPD woofer and I am really very happy with the dynamics accuracy, treble extention and musicality in general. I am using exactly the same crossover as Tannoy, 12dB/octave at 1000Hz, 16ohm(I really got to design a dedicated one).
One thing to check though, is if your drivers use the aluminium diaphragms or the mylar? or something similar ones. If your diaphragms are not aluminium then you will definitely going to need a UHF driver-tweeter. If it is aluminium the extention is very satisfying at least for my taste.

Moreover, I would try to match these with a "vintage" 15" woofer (ie. JBL2220A, JBL2235A LE15 etc) with high efficiency and preferably lightweight cones in a very big braced and vented box . Even better, a real horn loaded woofer will match the efficiency of the 16ohm driver easily.

In my opinion the 8" woofer is not mandatory as most of the vintage woofers' HF extention is very nice. Of course another 8" woofer will be a plus, but then you will be faced with crossover decisions, phase decisions and other serious decisions upon placement of drivers on baffle etc.

My opinion is that a simple 2way design of this efficiency and quality is an excellent compromise when driven from small amps. You can even try active crossovers and equalization easily!

intotubes
07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I agree with what's already been posted. You might even consider a matching Altec 4168A, B or C. These are used in the model 19 with a crossover of 1200Hz. I have even heard of them being used with a 1500Hz XO with excellent results. In fact, one of the reasons the 19 sounds so good is the higher crossover point. Supposed to take some of the shout out of the horns.

ark
07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
thanks. great feedback.
my horns should be here by the end of the week and ill post pics. then.
then ill toss a coin and order the woofers.. seems like there are a few very solid options.
crossing over higher has been suggested in other posts, and Panos is crossing over at 1000hz.. is that helping with the honk?

this is great to have all this information, history, cool lookingness and enthusaiam around systems that cost less than most entry level audiophile bookshelfs.. soo cool. = )

panos29
07-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Frgot to add another woofer possibility, this is the JBL2205, a very nice 15" that can be used in bass reflex and in horns, the good thing about those is that can be had with little cost and are not scarce at all. Also can be reconed to many other nice woofers! I happen to have a nice pair of those waiting their turn to come...

I really got to add that my humble 806-16a sound more relaxing and aggressive than my 802-8G (tangerine phase plugs) which are considered by most of the people the best altec small format drivers and are selling for crazy money.