PDA

View Full Version : any comment for olympus S7 & altec model 19

fumi
07-16-2006, 01:21 AM
hi! i have a chance to get olympus S7 & altec model 19, any comment for these? thanks for help.

garyl
07-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I am not at all familiar with the Olympus.
The Altec 19s are a wonderful speaker but keep in mind they are rather large. Many here love the horns and big box sound of the 19s. Think they are 39" H X 30" W X 24" D.
If you opt to go for the others because they are more in your size range, be sure to let us know here what the deal is so another could pick them up.

Gary

SUPERBEE
07-16-2006, 04:39 PM
hi! i have a chance to get olympus S7 & altec model 19, any comment for these? thanks for help.

Buy the Olympus, Get a good Mcintosh tube amp, Prepare to rock out!

IMHO

The Olympus is one of the most perfect Rock & Roll speakers there is.

garyl
07-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey Fumi, Like I said, I don't know the olympus but Superbee apparently holds them in high regard.
19s are by no means Slouches when it comes to rocking the house.

Send me a PM with the info on the 19s if you jump the Olympus's.

Thanks

Gary

fumi
07-17-2006, 04:54 AM
thanks all! i think i will get the Olympus S7, because the price offer is almost same. (Model 19's price is a bit lower than the Olympus),
both is not in opt, i found out in the shop.
i heard ones of the MODEL 19, still never heard the Olympus yet.

i like Jazz & Vocal. i am using the Duplex, Marantz 8b & Mcintosh C20.

otherwise, any Bros know that the S7 is big different with S8R?
thank again!!

Zilch
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
thank again!!

S8R adds the UHF driver, the 4" diaphragm midrange driver on a very short horn, hardly more than a throat adapter, really, playing virtually as a direct radiator, and a passive radiator to tune the bass response.

That suggests reasonable upgrades to Olympus S7 which will improve them substantially:

1) Add UHF driver, the ring radiator of your choice, using 3105 (N7000 or N8000) crossover. Without this, S7 lacks VHF, and what little is there beams vertically. The fretwork grill creates UHF diffusion/diffraction problems, but it was good enough for S8R, and it certainly defines the aesthetic.

2) Change out the LX5 to 3110 (800 Hz). The H91 (2307) horn plays poorly down at LX5's 500 Hz, and the longer horn won't fit in the available cabinet depth.

3) Other stuff later, like an improved woofer and porting the box to tune the bass, if desired.

4) There's better options, but only if you're willing to get radical with them.

Everybody's gonna yell at me now.... :p

SUPERBEE
07-17-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks all! i think i will get the Olympus S7, because the price offer is almost same. (Model 19's price is a bit lower than the Olympus),
both is not in opt, i found out in the shop.
i heard ones of the MODEL 19, still never heard the Olympus yet.

i like Jazz & Vocal. i am using the Duplex, Marantz 8b & Mcintosh C20.

thank again!!

Your gonna LOVE the Olympus with the Marantz/Mcintosh rig. I wouldnt change a thing.

garyl
07-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Funny thing about opinions is everybody has them.

No offense to the Olympus speakers because I have never heard them.

I have heard many 19s and know alot of friends who either have them or LUST for them and I have NEVER, not even once, heard anyone say they needed to do any sort of upgrading to make them sound better.

I know some of you here feel that if it is not JBL then it is not worth hooking up but you are quite wrong.

If I had to update and upgrade an expensive speaker to make it sound right I think I would just buy the 19s and be very happy.

Gary

Storm
07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
How much for the Olympus and the Model 19's?

I have a pair of Altec 846Us, and Model 19s are essentially the same - so if I were you, I would grab the Model 19's in a heartbeat!

Or, depending on price...let us know the prices.

Thanks!

No worries, we are not going to get them before you do.

:)

Zilch
07-17-2006, 11:58 AM
If I had to update and upgrade an expensive speaker to make it sound right I think I would just buy the 19s and be very happy.I've never had or heard Model 19's, so I can't say whether or not they might benefit from upgrades as well. I do like the cabinet design.

Olympus, I have two pair of S7 right now, one modded and one I'm considering modding, and a pair of upgraded (075) Sovereign S7Rs. I recently sold two pair of Olympus S7Rs through these forums, and long ago (10 years) traded two additional pair of Olympus S8Rs to Hal Cox for a Paragon. I kinda know what they are and how they sound.... ;)

Steve Gonzales
07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Funny thing about opinions is everybody has them.

No offense to the Olympus speakers because I have never heard them.

I have heard many 19s and know alot of friends who either have them or LUST for them and I have NEVER, not even once, heard anyone say they needed to do any sort of upgrading to make them sound better.

I know some of you here feel that if it is not JBL then it is not worth hooking up but you are quite wrong.

If I had to update and upgrade an expensive speaker to make it sound right I think I would just buy the 19s and be very happy.

Gary I would have to agree with you here Gary. Head to head, in stock configuration, the Model 19 will walk all over a stock S7 system IMHO. As Zilch eluded to, the LE85/H91/L91 combo doesn't perform well crossed over that low. It really works better about 1.2K or so. The 802-8G/811B is light years ahead in performance in stock form. The 416-8B/C leaves little to desire in LF/MB performance too. I've listened to both speakers extensively and to my ears, give me the 19's any day!. Zilch, I think your performance upgrade suggestions are just the ticket, and I for one, will do no yelling because you suggested them, you are right. Fumi, you will have to do a side by side in stock configuration and then decide if you want to get into modding the JBL's further, should you decide to buy them. The Mighty Model 19's were, and still are, one of the best vintage 2-ways you could hope to own. -S.G.

garyl
07-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Don't get me wrong Zilch, I don't disagree with you at all.

I have owned 3 pairs of 19s and a few pairs of Velencias and love them all.

I disagree completely that 19s and Velencias are anywhere near the same speaker. You can do an A/B test right here to prove that.

I too would be very interested to hear some price numbers of the two choices. I have seen real nice 19s go for $2,000 on ebay but I don't follow the JBL offerings----------YET!:D

fumi
07-17-2006, 10:31 PM
thanks all comments!!
both speakers in Asia! the price more higher than buy in USA.(i think close to 50% up if compare with USA:( )

i am not going to mod anything , because i don't know how to do it:o:.
i got the Duplex & L100, i feel L100 more punch & musical in some knid of music, the Duplex is really good for Jazz, but the bass is weak that i think.

anyway, after i make the decision, i will post the photo let Bros have a look!!
thanks!! happylistening.

SUPERBEE
07-17-2006, 11:37 PM
thanks all comments!!
both speakers in Asia! the price more higher than buy in USA.(i think close to 50% up if compare with USA:( )

i am not going to mod anything , because i don't know how to do it:o:.
i got the Duplex & L100, i feel L100 more punch & musical in some knid of music, the Duplex is really good for Jazz, but the bass is weak that i think.

anyway, after i make the decision, i will post the photo let Bros have a look!!
thanks!! happylistening.

If you like the L100's you are going to do back flips over the Olympus.

I own both.

Storm
07-17-2006, 11:56 PM
would love to know the prices in asia.

just curious.

thanks.

:applaud:

Zilch
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
If you like the L100's you are going to do back flips over the Olympus.

I own both.
You have Olympus S7, Bee? 'Cause it's different. A special sort of Olympus.

It is LE15(A) in a closed 6 cuft. box (no passive radiator).

It has usable bass (-10 dB) down to 34.21 Hz.

BUT, it'll only take 2.91 watts at that frequency, developing 100.9 dB max.

At full rated 100 watts, it runs outta gas (cone displacement) at 60 Hz.

Its bass voicing is about as far from an L100 as I might conceive.

I'd consider S7 a classical music speaker; gotta fix the VHF for jazz.

Compare to L100 (4311) low frequency, bottom. S7 bass response falls off continuously from 200 Hz down.

There's nothing inherently "bad" or "wrong" about that; it's very different from L100 is all....

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 12:41 AM
You have Olympus S7, Bee? 'Cause it's different.

BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA .......music speaker:

Compare to L100 (4311) response below 300 Hz, bottom.

GAWD that kinda jabber is SOOOOOOO boring!!!

All I know is my L-100s sound pretty kick ass, my Olympus sound KICK-FUCKING-ASS, and my Paragon is pretty fucking good with tubes.

Keep your graphs to yourself. I am only interested in REAL TIME listening

Zilch
07-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Keep your graphs to yourself. I am only interested in REAL TIME listeningUhmmm, Bee,

DO YOU HAVE S7 OLYMPUS?

['Cause it's THAT model is the subject of this discussion, I do believe.... :p ]

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Uhmmm, Bee,

DO YOU HAVE S7 OLYMPUS?

['Cause it's THAT model is the subject of this discussion, I do believe.... :p ]

YES, I have S7's and your graphs are FUCKING BORING!!!!!

Dont you get it man!

Its all about what you HEAR!

What you FEEL!

NOT what you see on some boring and worthless graph.

If thats how you grade speakers then I feel sorry for you.

Zilch
07-18-2006, 02:04 AM
YES, I have S7's and your graphs are FUCKING BORING!!!!!So, just one 15" woofer in each and NO passive radiators then, like mine, below?

[I just want to be certain we're listening to the same speakers.... ;) ]

garyl
07-18-2006, 05:43 AM
As "Boring" as they may be, the graphs tell some real truths about the speakers we know and love.
I have no doubt the S7 is a nice speaker and it is apparent Superbee likes his.
I also have no doubt the S7 is not up to a shootout against a model 19 which is the subject of this thread.
If I had a pair of S7s that I really liked and planned to keep I would be taking some of this info and doing some upgrading to see how much better they could sound rather then :banghead: against the facts.
As a matter of fact, if there was info to upgade and make my 19s sound a bit better, I would probably be looking into that as well.

In this regard, it makes absolutely no sense to shoot the messenger.

Fumi, if you are still here and the 19s are cheaper, will fit your room and are in nice shape I think you would be foolish to pass them up.
Take a good listen to both and let your ears do the final decission but the facts are right here and your question has been answered!

Gary

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 09:13 AM
What a stupid comment Gary!

How could you say the Olympus "S7 is not up to a shootout against a model 19" since you also say "No offense to the Olympus speakers because I have never heard them"

I have owned my set of Olympus for 16 years. I have heard 3 other sets of Olympus (Both S7 and S7R) and 2 sets of Sovereigns.

I have heard several sets of Altecs (NOT the 19 though) Just recently a VOTT. And while I thought those were OK my personal preference is toward the JBL. and that's ALL I told the guy. (Write what you know, BUY what you know)

Now, Post all the boring graphs you want and talk till your blue in the face about "Wave drop off" and "Mid range peaks" but I am going to go have a drink, fire up my 75s, and blast some Buddy Holly.

Perhaps its the room, Maybe its where the speakers are placed, Perhaps its the Mcintosh tube power, Or I might just have got lucky with the speaker fairies and have a "Blessed" set but I have a pretty kick ass sounding rig and I would recommend it to ANYONE!

garyl
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
What a stupid comment Gary!

Some very knowledgable individuals have chimed in here supporting exactly what I am saying.

What is "stupid" is allowing any of this to get your fingers typing from the gutter and useing language that is better left at the bar room or making personal assaults on individuals who are entitled to their own opinions and to voice them here.

Gary

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Some very knowledgable individuals have chimed in here supporting exactly what I am saying.

What is "stupid" is allowing any of this to get your fingers typing from the gutter and useing language that is better left at the bar room or making personal assaults on individuals who are entitled to their own opinions and to voice them here.

Gary

Well, Perhaps you could enlighten us to the differences between a HEMI Road Runner and a HEMI Cudda since you have neither owned or driven either?
As far as the "Bar Room" is concerned I have spent my life in bars, Where those that know, know. And those that don't know, usually talk.

garyl
07-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, Perhaps you could enlighten us to the differences between a HEMI Road Runner and a HEMI Cudda since you have neither owned or driven either?
As far as the "Bar Room" is concerned I have spent my life in bars, Where those that know, know. And those that don't know, usually talk.

Perhaps you should lift your rear off that bar stool a bit higher so we can hear you speak!
You don't know me or what I have owned or driven but I have heard just about enough from you and it is beginning to stink up the thread.

"And those that don't know, usually talk"

Gary

Steve Gonzales
07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
So let me get this straight. Neither has personal experience with the other's recommended speakers, i.e, one hasn't heard the M19's and the other the S7's? We are all passionate about our JBL/Altec's and it's easy to be offended. I think that fumi has a choice to make with the information given here, with his own ears. Please Fellas, let's have peace here. There has been enough negative energy around here recently for a lifetime. Let cooler heads prevail and regroup. Regards to all, Steve G.

Zilch
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
We had this same discussion several months ago, actually:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9493.

What Superbee does not yet appreciate is that his opinion regarding S7 is largely irrelevant to any discussion of comparative merits. Thus, he reiterates his opinion four times in this thread in what he believes to be counterpoint to the several rational and objective arguments posed here. It's simple non sequitur, is what.

In ultimate exasperation, Bee defends his opinion with expetives, slamming the purveyors of fact and, in the course, also revealing his contempt for the truth he doesn't care to understand.

In the spirt of these forums, I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find me ever myself having said anything negative about any JBL product discussed here. Instead, I intentionally strive to restrict my posting perspective to suggesting how even the worst of them might be improved in light of my own knowledge of what they are.

For this thread, however, I'm going to make an exception and express my actual opinion as opposite to Superbee's inane insistency here:

By any objective standard of contemporary loudspeaker system performance evaluation, which includes me hearing and "feeling" them in comparison to many others, taken overall, Olympus S7's REALLY, REALLY SUCK!

I trust this will in no way diminish Superbee's (or anyone else's) enjoyment of them, of course.... :D

Chas
07-18-2006, 12:20 PM

What Superbee does not yet appreciate is that his opinion regarding S7 is largely irrelevant to any discussion of comparative merits. Thus, he reiterates his opinion four times in this thread in what he believes to be counterpoint to the several rational and objective arguments posed here. It's simple non sequitur, is what.

In ultimate exasperation, Bee defends his opinion with expetives, slamming the purveyors of fact and, in the course, also revealing his contempt for the truth he doesn't understand.

In the spirt of these forums, I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find me ever myself having said anything negative about any JBL product discussed here. Instead, I intentionally strive to restrict my posting perspective to suggesting how even the worst of them might be improved in light of my own knowledge of what they are.

For this thread, however, I'm going to make an exception and express my opinion as opposition to Superbee's inane insistency:

By any objective standard of contemporary loudspeaker system performance evaluation, which includes me hearing and "feeling" them in comparison to many others, taken overall, Olympus S7's REALLY, REALLY SUCK!

I trust this will in no way diminish Superbee's (or anyone else's) enjoyment of them, of course.... :D

Nice try Zilchy...where's Giskard when you need him?;)

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 12:50 PM

What Superbee does not yet appreciate ...BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA............................I trust this will in no way diminish Superbee's (or anyone else's) enjoyment of them, of course.... :D

No, Again Zilch you miss the point ENTIRELY!

What I said was I recommend the Olympus, Because I OWN a set. I said NOTHING against the 19 as I have never heard that specific model.

What pissed me off was some idiot slamming the Olympus whilst 3 or 4 posts back claiming he had NEVER heard one.

HOW STUPID IS THAT!

That's like saying "I think Aston Martins are crappy cars compared to a Chevy" when I have NEVER even ridden in an Aston Martin.

You folks need to settle down about your "Beloved" opinions.

garyl
07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I have no doubt the S7 is a nice speaker and it is apparent Superbee likes his.
I also have no doubt the S7 is not up to a shootout against a model 19 which is the subject of this thread.

If this is what you are refering to as "Slamming the S7" and what pissed you off then you need to have a few more drinks.
Nothing here should "Piss any one off" unless it becomes personal like when you get a case of potty mouth or refer to others as idiots.
Actually, it does not have that affect on me because I find it rather entertaining.

Let me try this again. I would love to hear a set of S7s so I could decide for myself if they suck. I have the 19s and have never heard anyone say they were anything but a great speaker.

AND, I did own a 1969 HEMI GTX bought brand new off the showroom floor at Marl Motors, Ellenville, NY and other then being a fast car IT SUCKED! But I do wish I still had it.

Gary

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
If this is what you are refering to as "Slamming the S7" and what pissed you off then you need to have a few more drinks.
Nothing here should "Piss any one off" unless it becomes personal like when you get a case of potty mouth or refer to others as idiots.
Actually, it does not have that affect on me because I find it rather entertaining.

Let me try this again. I would love to hear a set of S7s so I could decide for myself if they suck. I have the 19s and have never heard anyone say they were anything but a great speaker.

AND, I did own a 1969 HEMI GTX bought brand new off the showroom floor at Marl Motors, Ellenville, NY and other then being a fast car IT SUCKED! But I do wish I still had it.

Gary

OK, I apologize for calling you an idiot. Anyone who owned a 69 HEMI GTX is allright in my book. And you should hear a set of Olympus, For my money one of the best Rock & Roll speakers ever.

Now about you selling that GTX, You are an IDIOT!

OK.......Just kidding

I am probably more opinionated about MOPAR

garyl
07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Now about you selling that GTX, You are an IDIOT!

Agreed! but it was kind of useless after I wrapped it around the tree! They were great in a straight line but shit around the curves!

Wish I could find a set of S7s locally because you do have me wondering.

I am willing to bet you would love the 19s for Rock and they might even bring out some lust for a new set of Old speakers.

Gary

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Agreed! but it was kind of useless after I wrapped it around the tree! They were great in a straight line but shit around the curves!

Wish I could find a set of S7s locally because you do have me wondering.

I am willing to bet you would love the 19s for Rock and they might even bring out some lust for a new set of Old speakers.

Gary

I love the Altecs I have heard, Including the VOTT I almost bought last week. But for Rock & Roll the the Olympus realy work.

Now why would you do any other thing than drag a GTX in a straight line, Thats what those big pigs are made for:bouncy:

Steve Gonzales
07-18-2006, 02:17 PM
:applaud:

garyl
07-18-2006, 02:24 PM
IMO, the VOTTs are a bit too large for any home applications. That is precisely why they made the 19s and gave them a tamed down 1200Hz XO and the 802-8G drivers. You owe it to yourself to hear them.

Around here there is no such thing as a straight road thru the mountains.
Add that to being 19 and in an altered state and you get CRASH!
Very few of the great cars made it around here for very long but there were alot of hot rides here then. This area is known as the "Jewish Alps" and every kid who wanted to work in one of many Hotels made big bucks back then.

Hillman
07-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Very entertaining post. I am glad you guys kissed and made up in the end. If it sounds good, do it.

garyl
07-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Very entertaining post. I am glad you guys kissed and made up in the end. If it sounds good, do it.

See what you started Superbee! Now they are calling us GAY!:D

Hillman
07-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I just couldn't resist it for my first post Gary. You're special. :nanana:

Zilch
07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm gonna bathe ALL of yer families tonight.... :p

SUPERBEE
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm gonna bathe ALL of yer families tonight.... :p

BTW.....

The first PARK GRUBBS movie premier happens in San Diego Aug 25th at the Whistle Stop bar.

I will be buying the drinks for any forum member who makes it.

garyl
07-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks Hillman and glad to see you made it to here. It will be nice to hear your comments when you get your 19s singing & Looking like they should.

I am hoping the only thing Zilch will be batheing us with is nice music!

As for the "open bar" offer in SD, thats a bit more then a weekend get-away for me and I have no clue what or who the PARK GRUBBS are. I get the feeling I won't be attending!
I did spend a few weeks with the USN back in '71 in SD and sure did enjoy that area. We hung out at Mission Bay Beach doing what any red blooded Sailor would do and I think El Cahone Blvd. in the evening. Great time for sure.

Gary

louped garouv
07-19-2006, 09:30 AM
IMO, the VOTTs are a bit too large for any home applications.

I disagree with this comment....

I had both the M19s and the A7s in stock configuration at the same time....

I liked the A7s better overall....
they seemed to be more 'alive'

my wife probably liked the M19s better (and she didn't even have to turn them on.... ;) )

garyl
07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
I disagree with this comment....

I had both the M19s and the A7s in stock configuration at the same time....

I liked the A7s better overall....
they seemed to be more 'alive'

my wife probably liked the M19s better (and she didn't even have to turn them on.... ;) )

I know exactly what you mean by more alive! I am not sure of the terms for this but I do find that most men prefer a bit more of the HF then women do. I know when my wife and her friends are listening they crank the treble down and the bass up. Sounds like crap to me because I prefer no EQ at all and hit the boost.

Gary