PDA

View Full Version : L100 grille pics for sonofagun

57BELAIRE
07-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Check the wooden inserts that keep the grilles in place during shipment:applaud:

dllyons
07-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Excuse me, but what in the flying f**k happened to those gorgeous grilles ?!?!??!??!??!? :banghead: OMG !

SUPERBEE
07-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Excuse me, but what in the flying f**k happened to those gorgeous grilles ?!?!??!??!??!? :banghead: OMG !

Perhaps Chuck Berry at ear blistering volumes?

dllyons
07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Ha ha ha ! perhaps so ...........

but I would absolutely pass-out if I ever saw mine like that !!!!!!!!!!!

or even if they arrived from sonofagun like that... whew !!

57BELAIRE
07-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Actually, these grills have been in storage 'for the past 35 years or so and are the only ORIGINAL pair I've ever seen.The Quadrex foam literally disintegrates with age...too bad....it was a striking compliment to a great little three-way.

I keep them around for grins :D

dllyons
07-19-2006, 06:37 PM
that is waaaay cool Belair !! Keep them for funnsies !!

The foam on my newer L100's (not my older Century L100's) stayed pretty darn good until they started disintegrating quickly- almost like they vaporized around 1993 or 94.

That's when I first seen foam grill ads from sonofagun in Stereo Review (I believe) and I sent a note to him asking if we sent him the original L100 grills, could he make 4 sets identical to the originals for me and some friends. I told him that we were real sticklers for accuracy, and by golly he came thru in flying colors. Back then, he even mounted the foam in our wood frames and mailed them back to us for either $90 or $95 a pair. I've still got the invoice around here somewhere.

They may have been the first L100 grills he made, but I'm not sure. He acted like he needed our originals to pattern his from. The rest is history- sonofagun is the best grill maker out there. :applaud: Too bad he's getting out of the bnusiness.

sonofagun
07-21-2006, 05:59 AM

"Acid for blood?" - Burke (Paul Reiser) in "Aliens".

"Looks like somebody bagged one of Ripley's bad guys here"

No, foam rot is due to bad foam chemistry used back in those days - newer foam uses a better formula so foam won't deteriorate as quickly. Believe the old grilles I made for Dave many years ago are still in good shape - right?

"Too bad he's getting out of the business" Welllll, doesn't quite look that way :) :banghead: .

Seems I've found how I can build a CNC machine to make patterned grilles for about only $1,000 - $2,000. Now just need an investor to finance the project. Once done, will solve production of grilles problem. :applaud:

Thanks for the pics Mr. Bellaire - note the very thick paint coating on the original grilles - stuff I use is much lighter/thinner yielding a better result both from an appearance and acoustic standpoint.

mbottz
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
What is in it for the investor? Are you looking for a loan to payback over several years, or are you looking for a partner to share in the profit once you have the machine up and running?

Regards

MB

dllyons
08-03-2006, 08:44 AM
that is a puny amount of money to be worried about finding investors for...... any good ol' neighborhood bank would love to have a part in this, I'd think !!

an ex-coworker of mine bought one of those CNC machines and programming software for around $2k (I think) and I guess I'd never thought of using one of those to cut foam, but why not ?? That'd definitely be the ticket if they can "do" foam !!
The grills would be rolling off the assembly line cheaply, easily, and maximum profit if you can get one of those to work.