Niklas Nord
11-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Do you have any ideas about getting rid of the tiny scratches
on my black piano paint on my K2 ?

You know, this kind of scratches that comes from pollishing
with a towel or something other horribly thing.. :(

gyusher
11-12-2003, 05:26 PM
A old T-Shirt with the seams removed, no writing on it. . .You should be able to get rid of the fine scratches. I use "New Finish" car wax. . .Be careful about what car wax you use as most are a lower gloss than your speakers. . .Sometimes I dampen the rag I use to remove the wax so the powder doesnt get in the way. . .Do not use a coarse towel. . . . .No paper towels. . . .There are ways to repair the finish but I wont attemp to describe it in this setting. . . .Also ask the maker. . . .

Mr. Widget
11-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Gyusher is right on about the 100% cotton T shirt recommendation. I use special polishing clothes as you can go through quite a few old shirts if you do this sort of thing everyday as I do.

To remove very fine scratches from paint or hard plastics you can use automotive polishes or polishes made specifically for plastics.

http://atcaonline.com/phone/novus.html

Even though Novus is called a "Plastic Polish" it works really well to polish out painted surfaces too. The only down side is that it contains silicone which will inhibit painting (not a paint shop safe product). It works really well and is faster and easier to use than automotive polishes. If you have a turntable dust cover that has become hazy with tiny scratches use Novus 3, followed by 2 and 1 and it will look brand new again.

I wouldn't use a wax as it will leave a wax film, but if you go to a supplier of paints and paint related materials to the automotive refinishing industry they will have a wide range of polishes that will remove those scratches. I primarily use 3M products and some of the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line. It does take time and effort. To polish out a square foot (300mm by 300mm) it can take 30 minutes or more to get a mirror finish if you are doing it by hand.