PDA

View Full Version : amp question

eyedoc
07-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Greetings.

I am in need of advice for amplification. I have a pair of L20t3 at my office, that sound good at loud volume, but do not have much (if any) punch at the low volume that is needed for the workplace. I am running a Mac 250 with my CDP hooked up direct (no preamp). When using a preamp I find myself turning up the base and treble to get a sound that is more full. Do I need more power? Different brand? Any ideas?? :blink:
Thanks

Hoerninger
07-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Hey(e)Doc,

at low listening levels the ear is not as sensitive for deep tones as at normal, louder level. That means that the bass needs to be increased. This can be done with a tonecontrol.
Or it can be done with some resistors and a capacitor in case you can solder an adapter cable. Let me know.

johnaec
07-12-2006, 06:36 AM
When using a preamp I find myself turning up the base and treble to get a sound that is more full.Standard Fletcher-Munson loudness effect. At lower volumes, the human ear is less sensitive to low and high frequencies. Many pre-amps compensate for this with a "loundess" control. http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

John

Robh3606
07-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I had a similar set-up in my office. I use a Sony CD player with an analog volume control to drive a pair of Urei 6211 amps, figure about 40 watts be side. I used L20T3 for a while but had a similar problem. They didn't have the punch down low at acceptable levels at work. I ended up getting a pair of 4208's. Much better low end now and shielded as well.

Rob:)

duaneage
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Might want to go for a powered subwoofer and roll the satellites off at 100Hz. I have a powered sub with my L20Ts and it works real well.

jblnut
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Pick up a decent Yamaha vintage preamp (C-80, C-85, etc). They have a unique and useful variable loudness that gradually damps everything but the very high and very low.

It would be ideal for what you are trying to achieve. So would a decent 10 (or 12) band EQ.

jblnut