PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Provenance "Crow"

mbask
07-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Does anyone here know anything about a man named Jeff Palmer ...aka "Crow" who Built sound systems in the Marin & Sonoma counties of California in the 1970s and 80s. His speaker cabinets were oiled exposed birch ply and of extremely high quality and efficiency (the ones that I saw a la Cotati Cabaret and the two guitar speaker cabs I presently possess with JBL E120s) and baring uncanny resemblance to the "Hard trucker"..."Wall of sound" speaker cabinets used by the Grateful Dead in the early to mid 1970s? I bought these E120 loaded "Crow" cabs in Vallejo Cali about two years ago from a friend of a friend who told me they had been built in the Russian River area (late 1970s early 80s i think) by a guy whom is known as "Crow". My big questions about all this are ...did "Crow" have any connection to "Hard Trucker"?..and where is he now, does he still build speaker cabs and sound reinforcement systems?
thanks all:) mbask

johnaec
07-11-2006, 06:13 AM
I worked for Hard Truckers for years and never knew a Jeff Palmer or "Crow" - he might have worked there before me. There was a guy called "Wizard" who worked there...

John

mbask
07-11-2006, 08:20 AM
That's funny, because he was describe as one who looked like a "wizard"
.....very tall, long blond hair, etc...

hey Johnaec...
Do you remember the PA system at th Cotati Cabaret? ......being that your in RP

johnaec
07-11-2006, 08:37 AM
The guy known as "Wizard" isn't that tall and definitely never had long blond hair. I can't remember his last name right now, but his first name is Dennis, (but not Dennis Healy), and he' still doing sound with what's left of the GD.

I never saw the Cotati Cabaret - are you referring to the "Inn of the Beginning" on the main drag in Cotati? Even though I once booked some bands there, I don't recall the PA system...

I have ton's of pics from when I worked at Hard Truckers - ah, those were the days... (at least the ones I can remember - ;) )

John

mbask
07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
The "Cotati Cabaret" used to be at the location wich now is a synagogue, behind the Fire station on east cotati blv. Befor that.. C Cabaret was in the location that the "Inn of The Beginning" was/wasn't/was. pryor to the "INN" ..if i'm not mistaking.
When I was a kid and living in cotati (1970-74) I used to watch through the window the acts that used to perform at the then Inn Of Beginning.
I could have been watching anybody, that I would come to admire later in my life. Anyway ..the PA at the Cabaret (now synagogue location)was built entierly of these "Crow" speaker cabinets and housed mostly JBL drivers ..I've been told.

Wow..I bet you have some "Those were the days" stories to tell ...
I would like to see any (even all) of those pics you have of the H Truckers
days ....that no one can remember...:D
thanks

mbask
07-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Here are pics of the Cabs I'm referring to, sporting D120Fs at the time the photo was taken. I switched out the E120s for the "Ds" for reference purposes.
The D120Fs you see in the pics I (don't laugh) reconed myself, using non JBL parts form "MWA" in AZ. You should've seen em before I reconed them...Bad shape. Eventualy these "Ds" will marry with genuine JBL cone assemblies ..most likely E120 parts.
anyway these cabs originaly came with E120s. When I got them they had one E120 and one EV-M 12L series II, because the guy I bought them from had blown the other JBL along time ago while out on the road touring with his band.

Steve Gonzales
07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Try contacting these guys http://www.abrown.com/c.htm . There is a chance they might have heard of him. They have a selection of Hard Truckers for sale too for anyone interested. Good luck, Steve G.

johnaec
07-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Wow..I bet you have some "Those were the days" stories to tell ... Yeah - unfortunately, a good percentage are unprintable... :p

I would like to see any (even all) of those pics you have of the H Truckers
days ....that no one can remember...:D I'll have to scan some later - 'leaving on vacation in a day. Most of them are just shop pics, etc.

John

mbask
07-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah - unfortunately, a good percentage are unprintable... :p
I'll have to scan some later - 'leaving on vacation in a day. Most of them are just shop pics, etc.

John

Oh well...I get the idea anyway
Have a good vacation..............I think me will try the "Brown Soun" lead
posted by Steve G

Zilch
07-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Mbask: (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=4168)

I'm red-taggin' that room until the requisite beverage cooling and dispensing apparatus is installed according to forum code.

[Call for inspection when the work is completed.... :p ]

mbask
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Mbask: (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=4168)

I'm red-taggin' that room until the requisite beverage cooling and dispensing apparatus is installed according to forum code.

[Call for inspection when the work is completed.... :p ]

Oh my mistake entirely...do I need to include in photo sequence the two full size refrigerators humming away on the other side of the room? well ..applicable cooling contents maintain turnover rate at extreme HFs ...so that might be tough to prove........Note however
I stand corrected:D

Zilch
07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
:cheers:

"APPROVED for Occupancy!!"

mbask
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
:cheers:

"APPROVED for Occupancy!!"

YEA!!!!! ....wait....hold on ..weep..sniffle...tear :o: I'm not worthy
I,m speechless ...thank you ...I will not let you down.
OK NOW SHOTS!!:D after:barf: I resume search for the mysterious "CROW"

mbask
07-13-2006, 12:53 PM
YEA!!!!! ....wait....hold on ..weep..sniffle...tear :o: I'm not worthy
I,m speechless ...thank you ...I will not let you down.
OK NOW SHOTS!!:D after:barf: I resume search for the mysterious "CROW"

Hope I didn't kill the thread...:crying:

Titanium Dome
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Everyone took it literally and went for shots. You created a three day weekend, woo-hoo! :homer:

mbask
07-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Everyone took it literally and went for shots. You created a three day weekend, woo-hoo! :homer:

H A H A H A !!!!!!............I like this place :rockon2: