PDA

View Full Version : Altec 892A Madera

gonzp
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I am currently baby-sitting for a friend, a pair of 892A Madera's. Info is kind of sketchy on these. They are very musical and they can dig surprisingly low. An all around very easy speaker to listen too. Any info would be appreciated. Patrick

spkrman57
07-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Efficiency should be approx 94 - 96 db/watt and crossover is probably @ 3Khz.

These speakers react well when the right amp and room conditions are utilized.

I found off the ground and a nice low powered tube amp works well. Just don't look for killer bass and stellar HF response. But otherwise from that they are somewhat like a inexpensive small studio monitor, rolled off at the top and bottom with a decent but listenable soundstage.

Ron

Phil H
07-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Have you seen the '71 catalog in the library? It has some information on them.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1971-home.htm

gonzp
07-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey Ron,
I have got them mated with an Almarro A318A 18 WPC integrated tube amp in an approx~ 30x30 room and, I am liking what I hear. The Almarro is pretty limited in its frequency range too I believe. These two pieces do mate well though.

Phil,
Thank you sir, for the link

mjcmt
09-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Looking at the design of the way the horn is mounted these speakers should lay horizontally for good HF dispersion. Laying them on their side, in the tradition of a bookshelf speaker of this era, should improve the soundstage. The speakers should be set with the horn towards the inside of a 2 speaker stereo pair set up.

spkrman57
09-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Looking at the design of the way the horn is mounted these speakers should lay horizontally for good HF dispersion. Laying them on their side, in the tradition of a bookshelf speaker of this era, should improve the soundstage. The speakers should be set with the horn towards the inside of a 2 speaker stereo pair set up.

EV used their MF/HF horns in a vertical position and when Klipsch started using the T-35 tweeter horns horizontally vice vertically the result riled the engineers who said they designed the tweeters for vertical use!

If you toe-in the spkrs so that they are directed to a spot right in front of the listening area the soundstage will be very nice.

Just my 2 cents worth of course!

Regards, Ron