PDA

View Full Version : What's on your patio...??

boputnam
07-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Did this install before breakfast. Pretty high WAF.

Ordered the Control 1's following a dialogue here, two weeks ago - it got me thinking.

Wonder if the wifey planned the house color to match these, all along... :hmm:

boputnam
07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Now, some lunch...

mikebake
07-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Control AW1's with matching subs (which I don't like the sound of; they sound like thuddy 60-80z boomers, with nothing below that; they are weather resistant, however), plus a pair of Infinity Outriggers. Sounds good, except for the subs. Going to go back to weatherizing an pair of indoor powered subs; much better. Gets used 10+ hours per week year 'round.
MBB

johnaec
07-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Bo - you did use 8 gauge Monster Cable to wire those, didn't you? :duck:

John

jblnut
07-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a pair of S36AW outside and like them very much. They've seen all kinds of weather in their first year and they haven't missed a beat.

jblnut

boputnam
07-08-2006, 12:56 PM
We MUST have pictures, doods!

Chas
07-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Black $99.00 KLH's here, bought at the local supermarket, believe it or not. They suck, wish that I had bought JBL's. Sometime in the future, JBL's will be planted in the garden, for sure.

Mind you, for parties, I can open the windows over the pool and crank the 4430's:D !

boputnam
07-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Well these Control 1's have massive bass extension well below 30Hz!!! You just can't hear it! :rotfl:

Now post some damn pictures, guys!!

Anthony L100
07-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Now post some damn pictures, guys!!

When the sun comes up over here:D

opimax
07-09-2006, 08:04 AM
No patio :banghead: Car stereo does pretty well irratating the neighbohood for any outdoor situations, sometimes the windows do fine also, especially when working on car stereo lol

Mark

Titanium Dome
07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Here's a partially enclosed lanai on the North Shore of Oahu, where I caught a couple shots of the preferred indoor/outdoor speakers: Control 25AVs.

When we looked at the pictures later, I got some "What's wrong with you?" looks from the GF, but she had the class not to say anything.

GordonW
07-11-2006, 01:18 PM
1961 NuTone intercom/music system, with vacuum tube amp and AM/FM radio (6BM8 output). Speaker mounted into the outside wall of the house, next to the patio door. Still works! Had to go into the control unit and fix a few intermittent connections a few years ago... otherwise, it's completely original!

Regards,
Gordon.

Fred Sanford
07-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Canton Patio 160s, Canton Fonum something-or-others, Sonance Mariner 63s, Stereostone Gibraltars, some kind of KLHs, and, uh, I forget, I think some other Cantons.

All this and much more, planned to go here, very very soon:

http://home.earthlink.net/~asteiospiti4/id3.html

...saving the 8 pairs of JBLs (and more Cantons, and more Speakercraft in-walls) for indoors.

je

sdaniel
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Please don't throw anything.

Radio Shack Minimus. WTF, they are paid for and installed.

The porch is nicer than the speakers. I'll look for a picture.

SDaniel

boputnam
07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Please don't throw anything.:duck:

:rotfl:

Robh3606
07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Tell you what I won't throw anything if you won't here's the big rig.

Rob:)

Wardsweb
07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Will this do?

http://lonestarbottleheads.org/gallery/albums/100805/normal_17.jpg

Robh3606
07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Will this do?

Well I don't know, not to nit pick, but that looks temporary. Not sure if that can count. Besides my Boom Box will kill that set-up.

Rob:D

Zilch
07-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Well I don't know, not to nit pick, but that looks temporary.Boom box glued to that table, is it? :p

Robh3606
07-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Boom box glued to that table, is it? :p

Dammit Zilch

Yeah with gorilla glue!

Rob:)

Fred Sanford
09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Can somebody help me- I think the spider's sagging on my patio speakers:

;)

fotodan
09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
When out on the deck, I just open windows and let the 4435's sing alittle. At our store I have these playing 7 hours a day and 6 days a week. You can hear the music across the street. You would be amazed at how many people enter our store saying the music brought them in.

Fred Sanford
09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
When out on the deck, I just open windows and let the 4435's sing alittle. At our store I have these playing 7 hours a day and 6 days a week. You can hear the music across the street. You would be amazed at how many people enter our store saying the music brought them in.

OK, so, what's your store sell, and is it in Wytheville? 'Cause my wife really really wants planters like those half-keg planters you have outside, and if you sell 'em that means we go on a road trip to hear your 4435s up close.

je

...could use a birdhouse or two, too...

Thom
09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Turning up the system in the living room works fine here. If I want it louder I open the door.

fotodan
09-10-2007, 05:10 PM
OK, so, what's your store sell, and is it in Wytheville? 'Cause my wife really really wants planters like those half-keg planters you have outside, and if you sell 'em that means we go on a road trip to hear your 4435s up close.

je

...could use a birdhouse or two, too...

Fred we sell home decor and much more, including the planters. You and your wife more then welcome to come for a visit, just bring towels for your wife ( she will drool when she sees our store ). :thmbsup:

Fred Sanford
09-10-2007, 05:47 PM
We'll be in touch, thanks- call us if you're going to discontinue those planters, we're gonna need at least two.

je

duaneage
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm going to install some ProIII speakers on the deck and build an all weather subwoofer for them.

JBL 4645
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Whoa yikes jeepers creepers I hate spiders!:eek::montyp:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27951&stc=1&d=1189212136

Can we at least have some JBL pictures without the spiders!

I like the first page with the weather proof JBL Control 1 very nice with the colour of the house blinding into the speakers colour.

I haven’t got a patio just a sodden back area where the wheelie bins are. I guess I could take a picture of Control 1 outside on the grass getting some sun.:D

boputnam
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Yikes. After three-years, the grilles are rusting a bit, and I take them in each "winter". The NorCal fog does it's slow work relentlessly...

Wonder why JBL didn't offer a high-impact plastic option? Oh well, they still sound as good as the day they arrived. :bouncy:

JBL 4645
06-17-2009, 11:12 AM
bop

Oh, bugger that why even bother to stick them outside i mean you have background noise that is going to mask cretin frequencies aren’t you. Might as well use some PA type that stands on tripod and then afterwards take them back inside.

I guess you can spray the grills with a type of lacquer like plastic transparent and test them to see if it holds up to the weather.

Oh, but you’d have the screws on the back plate and the ones holding the baffle together that might need treatment.

How does the edge foam surround hold up to the weather?

boputnam
06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
bopHi, Ashley...

No - they sound awsome, actually. Tripods would be too tedious and I'd never put them out! Hell, I move enough PA as it is!! :rotfl: Plus, too much gain would be too many cross neighbors..

Good ideas about the clear lacquer. I don't think it would have matter in this climate. But, I intend on sprucing them up with some Rust-o-leum of the proper shade... :)

opimax
06-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Duane , I thought they were someone else :)

Mark

JBL 4645
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi, Ashley...

No - they sound awsome, actually. Tripods would be too tedious and I'd never put them out! Hell, I move enough PA as it is!! :rotfl: Plus, too much gain would be too many cross neighbors..

Good ideas about the clear lacquer. I don't think it would have matter in this climate. But, I intend on sprucing them up with some Rust-o-leum of the proper shade... :)

Oh, bugger the neighbours :D I have wankers living in this flat block wankers most that are just nosey buggers! :biting:

Maybe it’s the way they are angled where the rain as got onto the grills or maybe dampness in the air so ether way your buggered for the rust issues.

Soory to drift off topic. There’s guy one floor down and no one knocks on his door telling him to mute the smoke detractor and that bugger puts out a 100dba at 1 meter! I know because I tested mine and I had to use ear plugs! So I say bugger the neighbours they don’t know what true noise is.

Maybe shield them from the sun as there must be spot you haven’t looked at where the sun direct light doesn’t get to as that can cow the colour up over year or so.

duaneage
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Duane , I thought they were someone else :)

Mark
I have 5 of the Pro3 and a pair of control1 speakers so I have some extras. I used a 5 inch midrange in 1 pair of pro3 cabs and with the passive crossover of the subwoofer they actually work out just fine, the passive crossover alleviates the problem of bass tuning with the midrange drivers.

I'll have a mixed HT system for my friend with control1 rears, he won't mind, it all looks the same to him.

The subwoofer I plan to make will be built from composite deck material, I have a composite deck so it will match nicely.

06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Yikes. After three-years, the grilles are rusting a bit, and I take them in each "winter". The NorCal fog does it's slow work relentlessly...

Wonder why JBL didn't offer a high-impact plastic option? Oh well, they still sound as good as the day they arrived. :bouncy:

Does JBL still make weather resistant JBL Control 1 speakers? I think those have been outsourced to the Control Contractor line. If you're really concerned about rust, you could look at the JBL Control 25AV. Those come with a stainless steel grille that's supposedly rust resistant. Plus, they're very weather resistant and sound better than the JBL Control 25.

LowPhreak
06-17-2009, 09:29 PM
"What's on your patio...??"

A Sony boombox firing out from the garage. :( But open the doors/windows and it's all JBL. :)

SUPERBEE
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
A 1972 Yamaha R-5

Fred Sanford
06-18-2009, 04:23 AM
A 1972 Yamaha R-5

:applaud:

je (used to have a ~'72 CS5 in purple)

SUPERBEE
06-18-2009, 05:13 PM

je (used to have a ~'72 CS5 in purple)

I love the sound of a 2 stroke

RIGGED
06-18-2009, 05:53 PM
My outdoor sound..........N24AW.
Many nights I've enjoyed(Corona in hand) listenin to these lil dudes, heck, I'm on my way out there now. :D

RIGGED

boputnam
06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
My outdoor sound..........N24AW.Lookin' good!

You might try hanging them inverted - tweets down. Get 'em away from that corrugated roofing. Afterall, it's all about the "hang". :p Just a thought... :dont-know

JBL 4645
06-19-2009, 04:07 AM
My outdoor sound..........N24AW.
Many nights I've enjoyed(Corona in hand) listenin to these lil dudes, heck, I'm on my way out there now. :D

RIGGED
That’s wicked cool pair of JBL :) how long have they been outside?

RIGGED
06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
That’s wicked cool pair of JBL :) how long have they been outside?

Thanks and they sound pretty good for their size.
Them tuff lil dogs have dealt with South Texas heat for about a year now, I took them down when hurricane Ike passed by.

Bob,

Would movin the tweet down be for sound or longevity purposes?

Thanks,

RIGGED

Audiobeer
08-31-2009, 04:53 AM
I have had JBL control 5s and Control 1s. I then tried a pair of Niles OS-10s and could not believe the difference. They are in thier 5th year of outdoor weather and play on!

jcrobso
08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks and they sound pretty good for their size.
Them tuff lil dogs have dealt with South Texas heat for about a year now, I took them down when hurricane Ike passed by.

Bob,

Would movin the tweet down be for sound or longevity purposes?

Thanks,

RIGGED

When speakers are near the ceiling it is best to hang them with tweeters down. This reduces early reflections from the ceiling.

08-31-2009, 09:19 AM
I have had JBL control 5s and Control 1s.

Why'd you do that? They aren't meant to be weather resistant in the first place...

Ducatista47
09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Myself, a chair and Stax headphones on an extension cable. There is another set for a buddy. The view of the forest usually precludes small talk and my friends and I don't like to talk much anyway when music we like is playing. Obviously a very neighbor friendly solution. If it rains I use the extremely high tech solution of walking inside. ;)

If the wife wants a party I will haul out the Control 10s. They are portable and my amps are right inside the door. Not necessary yet; at her parties musician friends come over to play.

Clark

boputnam
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Myself, a chair and Stax headphones on an extension cable.[quote]+1

[quote=Ducatista47;264358]There is another set for a buddy. Priceless... :applaud:

midlife
09-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Myself, a chair and Stax headphones on an extension cable. There is another set for a buddy. The view of the forest usually precludes small talk and my friends and I don't like to talk much anyway when music we like is playing. Obviously a very neighbor friendly solution. If it rains I use the extremely high tech solution of walking inside. ;)

If the wife wants a party I will haul out the Control 10s. They are portable and my amps are right inside the door. Not necessary yet; at her parties musician friends come over to play.

Clark
So the Duck doesn't live on the patio...

Audiobeer
09-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Why'd you do that? They aren't meant to be weather resistant in the first place...

The control 5s weren't left out there all year. I had the ceiling mounts and could take them right off. I got tired of pulling them in and out. The Control 1s were an experiment and I believe they are marketed as being able to use inside or out. My brother is in 3rd year of usage. He uses them all summer mounted under the eves at his lake house on the porch and takes them in when he winterizes the cabin. The Niles and the Control 5s had good bass. The Niles had a great soundstage for outdoor speakers but they were a bit pricey. At the time I had purchased them fron One Call. Check out the very 1st post.

bigblock1970
11-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Here is what we have on our back yard for background music
These are when I bought them. I will take a picture of them in the yard.

They sound like you are wearing HUGE headphones.

grumpy
11-13-2009, 07:57 AM
"...You're a looney"

LowPhreak
11-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Here is what we have on our back yard for background music
These are when I bought them. I will take a picture of them in the yard.

They sound like you are wearing HUGE headphones.

That's what I call "surround sound".

:blink:

1audiohack
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Who else has 12 horn loaded 15" drivers on the patio?

What could be more American than that? You win!

Ed Zeppeli
05-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Well I finally got around to mounting some deck speakers so I thought I'd revive an old thread from dead. I bought these from a tent sale around 1999; no regrets.

They are the all weather Control 8SR. Note the speakon connector.

They even came with some plastic slip-on covers which seem to hold fast and will protect the fronts in the off-season so I don't have to take them down.

These are great little speakers for what they are. Sound is fairly balanced and I like the larger size for a little more bottom end than your typical deck speaker. The wife's first comment was "oh, too bad you didn't have some of those nice small ones to put here." :(

I think they look great!

1audiohack
05-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Looks great. A little too sane though. :)

Barry.

1audiohack
05-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Nearly a year to the day, here I am listening to a new patio system, weighing in at just under 1400 pounds by weight and just over nine feet tall. :D

I get why no one is hauling this stuff around anymore! It sure is fun to play with although you need a pallet jack to do so.

It is:

2 Community Boxer Bass Horns with two JBL 2440's each 20-250Hz

2 Community M80 mid horns with a JBL 2020 each, 250-850Hz

2 Community RH60's with JBL 2450's with SL's in them, 850-18kHz

DBX260 does the signal processing and one each Crown CE 1000, 2000 and 4000 provide the power.

After half a day of test and measurment I am happy to finally put some music through it, and I am getting happy.

If I am feeling brave I might post a picture.

Barry.

Mr. Widget
05-16-2016, 07:26 AM
If I am feeling brave I might post a picture.
Feel brave Barry, feel brave.

Widget

1audiohack
05-22-2016, 10:26 AM
I will get a pic or two this afternoon.

The first day was mostly spent working on crossovers and getting it to behave in the time domain through crossover and getting it flat in general. Measure, tweak, repeat,,,,,.

Big stuff challenges me I think partly due to the driver center to center distances the the time domain elements of big horns. It passes piano, percussion only and vocal only through crossover very well now, my standard acid tests. .

I spent a couple of hours with it last night ( no measurement gear) and ended up pulling 6dB out of the high shelf EQ used to get the 2450 flat out past 12kHz, that improved the overall ballance a ton. Then gave it a GEQ 2dB push from 31.5 to 200Hz tapering to unity by 250Hz and flat all the way out.

It sure is fun to have a bass horn system that when you give it some GEQ at 31.5 it comes right on up. :D

Barry.

grumpy
05-22-2016, 03:55 PM
:lurk:

1audiohack
05-22-2016, 06:33 PM
I know I know,,,

This pic is correctly oriented on my phone no matter how I orient it so until I get to a computer with a real camera I can't fix it. Sorry.

grumpy
05-22-2016, 06:36 PM

hjames
05-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Got a screened in back porch that's great 3 seasons long. Its a humble system I know,
but I have an Airport Express out back, feeding an neo-Altec Boombox.
So - I can use my iPhone to select any of nearly 60,000 Lossless track on my MacPro (server)
and feed them via wifi to the system ...
Not a lot of power, no big woofers, but its a great little system for summer fun!

JeffW
05-22-2016, 07:22 PM
I know I know,,,

This pic is correctly oriented on my phone no matter how I orient it so until I get to a computer with a real camera I can't fix it. Sorry.

Bah, a real man would have put those Ubangis out there :D

So what of the 4350s?

Ed Zeppeli
05-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Isn't there supposed to be a deck somewhere in this pic? :)

1audiohack
05-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Got a screened in back porch that's great 3 seasons long....

That sounds super nice Heather. Here's to a nice summer! :cheers:

Barry.

1audiohack
05-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Bah, a real man would have put those Ubangis out there :D

So what of the 4350s?

Haha! Hi Jeff!

I value the Ubangi's too much to leave them in the weather.

The 4350's are safely stored in the garage. :)

Thank you for the pic fix grumpy!

Barry.