PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2446 Driver Support Question?

Baron030
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
My current DIY project uses a 2446H driver attached to a 2382A horn.
I have read somewhere that you must support this driver with some form of bracket.
Otherwise, the weight of this 30.5 lbs. monster will actually break the horn.
Currently, I'm thinking of using a wooden bracket like the one pictured below.
But, as you can see from the photo, there is not a lot of detail.
Has anyone got a more detailed photo, drawing or some plans for me to work from?
Thanks,
Baron030

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16664&stc=1&d=1152302361

johnaec
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
You absolutely want to support the driver - the 23XX horns aren't meant to be load-bearing. When using the 2446 in pro cabinets, JBL actually supports the 2446 around the complete circumference with a wood frame, ('never know when some roadie's gonna' load 'em upside down - :p ). But in a fixed installation, I think just a simple wood support under the driver would be fine. You'll have to measure carefully to get it the right height, and I'd also suggest using something like 3/8" thick closed-cell foam weatherstripping between the driver and the brace.

BTW - what other components will you be using?

John

Baron030
07-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks, John

I was already thinking of using a wooden donut to support the driver.
But, I was not sure if there was any weather stripping between the driver and the brace.

My new 4-way project uses the following JBL components: a 2226H, a 2012H, 2446H w/2382A horn, and 2405 slot driver. Its quad amplified using an Ashley electronic crossover network and an array of 5 Crown amps to drive the system with 1KW per channel.

Since, the wooden donuts is last bit of fabrication work that still needs to be done, I am very close to finishing construction phase of this project.

And as soon as I can get this project finished, I will be posting some pictures to share with everyone.

Baron030

Val
07-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I used a 2x4 support underneath. Then shaped a 10-32 threaded rod into a U-bolt of sorts. Padded it with some shrink tube. Then anchored it to the support with jel-nuts. This way the driver is supported at all attitudes. If I did it again I would use a 1/4-20 threaded rod.