PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID -130A/D130/??

dmtp
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I just picked up a pair of speakers that were advertised as "130A, reconed as D130". Here is what I got: motors are clearly 130A with intact foilcals, etc. cones are smooth with "M" cloth surround and alum domes. One has "W5693" hand written on back, the other has two stamps: "58057" "JBL Pro 21" in a circle and hand written (hard to read) "?E? 130 ?8?", "90W", "??C??P??"
I will check out the measured T/S parameters before using, but any help appreciated!

edgewound
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I just picked up a pair of speakers that were advertised as "130A, reconed as D130". Here is what I got: motors are clearly 130A with intact foilcals, etc. cones are smooth with "M" cloth surround and alum domes. One has "W5693" hand written on back, the other has two stamps: "58057" "JBL Pro 21" in a circle and hand written (hard to read) "?E? 130 ?8?", "90W", "??C??P??"
I will check out the measured T/S parameters before using, but any help appreciated!

The one with the W5693 is a Waldom part number and not part of a factory JBL kit.

The other is a JBL cone part number, but here's the issue: The 130A and D130 are not interchangeable. The 130A is ONLY reconeable with a 2220 recone kit. The top plate is thicker on a 130A than the D/K/E130 which would put the coil in the wrong static position causing lots of extra distortion.

This is a common case of caveat emptor. There are reconers out there who either don't know this or just plain don't care to follow factory procedures and feel that if the coil fits....it must work. That's not the case, though.

Search the forum and you'll find some historical discussion on the subject of cone kit interchangeability.

Welcome to the forum.

dmtp
07-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't have them in enclosures at this point, but they sound pretty good with no obvious distortion just sitting on the floor (not much bass of course) or would it not show up until they were "pushed"?
Do you know if the W5693 kit was for a 130A or the D130?
What about the JBL 58057?
I'm thinking maybe they ARE 130A's and the seller just called them D130's because they wer 8 ohm, there is also a sticker that says " 103A reconed 8 ohm" (it is on the W5693)
Any way I can test or tell what is going on?

edgewound
07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't have them in enclosures at this point, but they sound pretty good with no obvious distortion just sitting on the floor (not much bass of course) or would it not show up until they were "pushed"?
Do you know if the W5693 kit was for a 130A or the D130?
What about the JBL 58057?
I'm thinking maybe they ARE 130A's and the seller just called them D130's because they wer 8 ohm, there is also a sticker that says " 103A reconed 8 ohm" (it is on the W5693)
Any way I can test or tell what is going on?

W5693 is Waldoms part number for the cone only. 58057 is JBL's part number for the cone only. JBL kits come cone/spider/coil preassembled for a specific application. The Waldom parts come as separate pieces with a terrible voice coil.

Pics would be a big help.

Thanks...I hope you didn't pay alot for these.;)

dmtp
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I'll try to get picks over the weekend and post - any angle/shot more informative?
Are 130A kits still avail? That might be the safest route.
I HAD thought I got a great bargin at only $100 each.
i just thought: here are pics from auction: let me know if different are needed.

edgewound
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
The top pic is definitely not JBL parts...it's Waldom aftermarket. What you paid for it is subjective at best, but I think you paid more than it's worth. Reconeable cores(frames) should sell for about $30-$50 depending on condition.

The second speaker isn't shown from the front side, but it looks to be JBL parts. A paper dome might indicate that it was reconed with the right kit, which would be a 2220A/B/H/J. The 130A(2220 Pro) and the E130 both use the same cone, so the cone part number would be the same.

Note the terminals in the pics. Positive voltage applied to the BLACK terminal will cause OUTWARD cone movement with a JBL factory voice coil. With the speaker face down the red terminal should be on the right...hence the reversed terminal on the Waldom reconed speaker.