PDA

View Full Version : d130f original or recone?

michael floyd
06-30-2006, 07:26 PM
hi , i bought a nice d130f on ebay for a fender vibroverb clone amp ive made . the speaker looks mint, i took it to orange county speaker { i live around the corner from them} to ask advice on 2 issues. first stamped # number on cone has 2 different numbers?[ 21057 }stamped in white. i beleive this is correct original cone number? second number { 2220a looks like written by hand with maybe a white lead pecil? in different location on cone ? any help? {second issue/ when looking at speaker dead center, no problem looks perfect . when veiwed sideways eye level with mounting edges side to side the surround has 2 noticable waves/not creases but if straightedge is layed across mounting suface the surround is closer to top edge in 2 spots compared to rest of surround cicumference. the man at orange county speaker said he was pretty sure it was original but not positive. he tested sonicly /frequency/ signal generator or whatever the test gear used? and said it tested fine he said not to worry about the waves in surround and just use it.? which suprised me that he didnt say recone it being that there bussness. { free testing nice peopl}. ive heard there one of the best reconers? any way any thoughts/help about these issues and about o/c/s/r reconer shop in general. thank you well one more question please . i have noticed this forum is not really about guitar amp questions ,mostly home audio but when it comes to jbl this forum has the pro knowledge. ive also researched heavey for info on the speaker used in a leslie 18 rotating 2 speed speaker cabinet. almost same as a fender vibratone. the only info i could find is the leslie 18 is suppossed to have had a jbl 12" full range speaker? i want to find out what model?the leslie 16 used a big magnet 4 ohm utah. another site said {im sure this is correct} that the 18 model had a 6 ohm speaker, but did not name manufacterer or model# did jbl make a 12" 6 ohm? theres a google site search{the history of fender vibratone that has a picture of the leslie 18 cab with back off and you can see the jbl? speaker if that is original to cabinet. ill try to post picture but will take a while as im totaly new to using a computer . cant see speaker eia code in picture. did jbl ever have a eia code?any help would be greatly appriciated., michael floyd

edgewound
07-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a recone to me....and probably one that doesn't work right. A D130F shouldn't say 2220A on it. If the surround is an "m-roll" cloth surround, it is definitely a recone...and one that is totally wrong....in all aspects....I'll leave it at that.;) FYI...a 130A is reconed with a C8R2220...if that is indeed the case with yours....it's a correct recone.

An original D130F has an integral paper surround and an aluminum dust dome, as well as an aluminum wire voicecoil, whereas the 2220 has a copper wire voice coil on a longer former that would place the coil too deep in the gap and not in the correct static position.

Pics would help....but you already said that:)