PDA

View Full Version : 2220H

korgroenewoud
06-25-2006, 01:10 AM
A fiend of mine bought a 2220H speaker. He is a bass player and wanted it to be used for his bass guitar. He placed the woofer in his cabinet (in which was a 15 inch Eminence with 3 inch voicecoil). But the JBL did not sound so good as the Eminence. He was not satisfied. Should there be something wrong or is the 2220H not the right woofer for a bassguitar?

Mike Caldwell
06-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Hello
The 2220 would not be the best choice for a single 15 bass guitar speaker. The D,K or E140 speakers would be a better choice or a 2225 would work well. They are more of a low frequency speaker where the 2220 is a higher efficiency speaker without as much low frequency extension. What is the cabinet size and the porting information.

Mike Caldwell

korgroenewoud
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Thank you Mike,

What is the cabinet size and the porting information.

It is a cabinet of aprox. 4 cubic feet with two holes of aprox.
3 inch.

Kor

Mike Caldwell
06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello
I did some quick plots comparing a JBL 2220, E140 and two different Eminence speakers a Gamma and Kappa (not sure what you have so I took a guess)
I figured it with a 4 foot box, two 3 inch ports with no duct. Given that info the Eminence Kappa actually worked the best. On the other hand if the original speaker was something like the the Gamma it would sound louder due to the big 100hz bump in the response, if so maybe something like that worked well with his bass guitar. Reworking the box with different ports and ducts would be an idea if you wanted to use different speakers.

Mike Caldwell