View Full Version : Altec 604e Super Duplex, Cabinet identification? HELP!

06-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I recently acquired a pair of Altec 604e Super Duplex speakers, and have been looking for a good 2 weeks for info on the cabinets they are in. I haven't been able to find any info, and yes, I have extensively searched this site. I will include a few pictures, hopefully one of you Altec nuts out there can help out.



Don C
06-24-2006, 09:06 PM
I have a catalog from 1968, it shows an 861A cabinet. It's similar in size to yours, but with more modern styling. It's possible that yours is an earlier version.

06-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you so much for your quick response. I greatly appreciate even that much. Of course, if anyone can say for sure, I'd love further input, but to say that it's at least similar to another model is better than nothing.


06-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Anyone else have any ideas? Is it possible that this WAS an earlier version? perhapse a prototype or something? I really don't think there were labels on the back, there are no signs that there were.

Were they ever sold without the labels? or maybe a better question... how were most of them attatched?

06-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Companies like Altec and JBL used to sell cabinet plans... and there were also other hobbyist magazines of the day, which also published cabinet plans. Could be a case of someone "home-building" (or having a local pro build) cabinets, to an existing design spec. That's always a possibility, when dealing with these mystery old cabinets...


Don McRitchie
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
There were also a number of companies that specilized in audio furniture, including speaker cabinets, from that era. Barzilay and Acousticraft are two of the better known and each designed cabinets that could take an Altec 604.

07-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all of the help so far guys. There is still one reason why I believe this to be factory from Altec, but it is due to my lack of knowledge. Maybe someone here can help?

When I pulled the woofer, there was (and still is) a string of the cloth grille embedded into the sticky black substance that coats the surround. I mean, it's not stuck there, it's like it goes underneath the substance and comes back out on the other side.

So my question, is A: what is this substance called? B: when during the install is it applied? and C: does this in any way prove or back up my thinking that this is a factory altec cabinet?

The construction just looks too perfect, and far too alike all of the other altec cabs I've seen on the inside. I suppose if it's not Altec, it has to be a very good carpenter/enthuseist, or possibly an era furniture maker as previously suggested.

Thanks again to all of you


david yost
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM
I don't think this an Altec factory built cabinet. For one thing, the port is much smaller than any I have seen used by Altec. For another, every factory box I have seen used fiberglass on only 3 interior walls. My bet is Barzillay or maybe Heath.

Nice score,

07-04-2006, 08:15 AM

The port is small . You can remedy that by duct porting them from existing port.

You need speaker displacement ,Port dimensions, Cabinet dimensions from inside. and fr resonnance. 35hz 45 hz 25 hz.