PDA

View Full Version : What Midrange to use 2123 or 2210 ?

RussianE39
06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi!
I'm building a speakers, based on 2226 on LF and with 2405 on HF, so I assume that lowest HF x-over point will be about 6.5-7khz, can't clearly find a recommended x-over point for LF and what midrange driver to use. May be anyone could recommend what will be better for use - 2012 or 2123 for my speakers ? Or maybe something else? Sensivity of 2226 is 97db, so I need midrange with at least 98-100db Sensivity IMHO.

P.S. Sorry for my English - I'm from Russia :-)
Sorry 2210 = 2012.

Guido
06-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi Russian (sorry but we don't know your real name)
Welcome to the forum :wave: You seem to be our first russian member.

I spend a lot of time in russia and let me say that your english is outstanding.

2405 is an excellent choice. To comment the 2226 I would need to know what is the purpose of the speaker.
For midrange I strongly recommend the 2012H it is as good as the 2123 with the advantage to be still available.

Tell us more about your project and we guys will help you with the crossover design.

Robh3606
06-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Use a compression driver. A direct radiator won't work up to 6-7Khz. The 2405 likes to be crossed over at 8k or above. A 1" or 2" will get you where you need to go or use the 10" mid and go 4 way.

Rob:)

RussianE39
06-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Russian (sorry but we don't know your real name)
Welcome to the forum :wave: You seem to be our first russian member.

I spend a lot of time in russia and let me say that your english is outstanding.

2405 is an excellent choice. To comment the 2226 I would need to know what is the purpose of the speaker.
For midrange I strongly recommend the 2012H it is as good as the 2123 with the advantage to be still available.

Tell us more about your project and we guys will help you with the crossover design.
Big thanks for so warm reply :-). My name is Mike :-). I'm building an all-around speakers with 2226 in 16Ohm version in Onken eclosure as LF, ??? as Midrange, and 2405 as HF. Horns is not suitable IMHO, because my listening room is rather small (16 sq. meters). So I'm stuck between these two speakers. And is 2123 really worth it's crazy price ?

Zilch
06-23-2006, 07:01 PM
How does the size of the room relate to the suitability of a compression driver and horn for use in this application? :dont-know:

RussianE39
06-23-2006, 07:26 PM
How does the size of the room relate to the suitability of a compression driver and horn for use in this application? :dont-know:
Here in Russia everyone thinks that with horns and compression drivers you need BIG listening room, otherwise soundstage will be "disabled" :-).

Zilch
06-23-2006, 09:04 PM
While I may suffer some discomfort in standing up to challenge such a geopolitical preference, we apparently presume that the 2405's diffraction horn and phase plug construction somehow transcends this mandate?

In fact, a wide array of dispersion patterns is available in compression driver/horn/waveguide combinations, virtually all of them with far better pattern control than equivalent direct radiators; it's largely a matter of selecting one appropriate to your application and preference.

Uniform power response is an essential component of imaging, partucularly in small spaces, and compression drivers in combination with horns or waveguides are optimum means of delivering an enhanced soundstage in the frequency range of interest here.

Don't LIKE compression drivers and horns? That's a different story, but they ARE up to the task. See JBL's latest introduction, Project Array.