PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Damaged Nakamichi Amp

doyall
06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I bought a Nakamichi PA-7 to power the L250's I recently acquired. In spite of the exceptional packaging by the seller, UPS managed to damage it. They obviously dropped it and the rear panel was dented in pretty good. At 56 pounds this is fairly heavy so it had to have taken a solid hit. It appears as though the rear panel is aluminum, so it may have been relatively easy to bend. I am pondering what kind of internal damage, if any, would be possible to have been sustained. (I have not powered the unit up to see if it works.) Also wondering what kind of dimunition in value this will result in. UPS is supposed to contact me by tomorrow afternoon (6-20-06) to set up an inspection. Any and all comments, suggestions and/or recommendations on these and any other issues that need to be considered will be appreciated.

johnaec
06-19-2006, 10:31 AM
'Don't know what to tell you, but I've totally given up on UPS. The last 4 packages I've received from them have ALL been damaged!! It's like it's a requirement with them - they have to drop every package, (especially heavy ones!), at least once! :banghead:

The real drag is that eBay only gives sellers the option to calculate shipping via UPS or USPS, so that's what most sellers use. :biting: They should also include FedEx, from which I've had excellent service.

John

boputnam
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
...I am pondering what kind of internal damage, if any, would be possible to have been sustained. (I have not powered the unit up to see if it works.) 1. Take a lot of pictures of the unit and the carton. Next time, do this BEFORE opening.
2. Do not power-up before looking inside the unit. Take off the cover.
3. Look to make sure the PCB's are not cracked, or loose.
4. Make sure none of the heavy components have broken loose from their fittings (power supply, heat sinks, etc.)
5. Look for any loose parts / pieces inside.
6. Power-up without connecting to anything. If it cycles through start-up without tripping itself, hook it up to a pair of L100's and go for it... :p

Mr. Widget
06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
If it cycles through start-up without tripping itself, hook it up to a pair of L100's and go for it... :p:rotfl:

If no L100s are available I suppose any Bose product would be acceptable. :bouncy:

Widget

boputnam
06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
If no L100s are available I suppose any Bose product would be acceptable. :bouncy:There's always L100's available... :banghead: