PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some direction - which JBL??

hmmmshai_hulud
06-17-2006, 10:04 PM
.....i am a proud original owner(well 2nd, but my mother didn't have any choice but to give me these speakers when i moved out lol) of two beautiful original Century L100's.
Purchased at a place called The House of SIGHT & SOUND for a whopping 546.00 in 1971!
I have been infatuated with these speakers from a very early age. The versatility and clarity ...awesome. Thinking about it now, they are probably the reason i love music/play music.
So now that i have some time i have decided to endeavor for even louder heights. I would appreciate any input on what J B Lansing product/project to toil with. My general info:
Do not want to spend 10 grand lol
Listen to every style of music xcept country ;)
I listen at very high volumes.
Would like something with a bit less mid range.
I ended up blowing out a sub and mid in my current L100s
Thank you for any suggestions you may have on what speaker model may be the right fit for me.
Newbie, Jim.

boputnam
06-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Hi, Jim...

"Blowing-up" speakers is generally not what we do here... :p

- So, tell us a bit about your set-up?

I listen at very high volumes.Are you certain the amp did not go DC and that's what blew your speakers? If the amp is misbehaving, that should be resolved before you try another pair of speakers...

- What is your pre-amp / amp?

Would like something with a bit less mid range.That could be an EQ and/or room issue.

- How big is your listening room; is it carpeted, etc?

hmmmshai_hulud
06-18-2006, 02:45 PM
They are currently hooked up to a pioneer AX610. They reside in my office/hobby room. They lay on their sides about 6ft high on a record storage case(Expedit-ikea) about 2ft apart. The room in carpeted. Thanks for the advice Boputnam.

boputnam
06-18-2006, 05:21 PM
...a pioneer AX610. I don't know that model. Internet search shows some Technics and a Panasonic...

But, I'm not very helpful on your speaker quest!

CONVERGENCE
06-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi I would check that amp of yours. Perhaps you can have your speakers reconed.

There is an alternative Iconic makes speaker cabinets.

http://www.iconicspkrs.com/stonehenge.html

.................................................. .........

Zilch
06-18-2006, 09:08 PM
There is an alternative Iconic makes speaker cabinets.You're suggesting Iconics because they sound like L100s and play louder?

Does anyone have the L100 FR curve?

The "Acoustically equal" 4311 appears below.

Jim "would like something with a bit less mid range."

hmmmshai_hulud
06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Well after doing quite a bit of reading the past few days i think i'm just going to change/upgrade the cabinets, and buy a high quality amp/receiver. Also possibly upgrade the xover(even though i'm far from an electrician). This way i don't have to buy all new components. The orig L100 cabs suffer just slightly in the low end. This may sound silly, but i think it has to do with the port set up in the orig L100 cabs. They don't sound over mid rangy, i'm just really high sometimes. ;)

Reguarding the amp/receiver. I will be listening to strickly vinyl records. Should i purchase an old amp/receiver that has nothing to do with digital? Does this keep the analog vinyl signal analog all the way through to my ears?
I'm worried that a more recent amp/receiver will convert the signal to digital no matter what.

Thanks again for all the help guys. :applaud:

SUPERBEE
06-19-2006, 06:06 AM
.....i am a proud original owner(well 2nd, but my mother didn't have any choice but to give me these speakers when i moved out lol) of two beautiful original Century L100's.
Purchased at a place called The House of SIGHT & SOUND for a whopping 546.00 in 1971!
I have been infatuated with these speakers from a very early age. The versatility and clarity ...awesome. Thinking about it now, they are probably the reason i love music/play music.
So now that i have some time i have decided to endeavor for even louder heights. I would appreciate any input on what J B Lansing product/project to toil with. My general info:
Do not want to spend 10 grand lol
Listen to every style of music xcept country ;)
I listen at very high volumes.
Would like something with a bit less mid range.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have on what speaker model may be the right fit for me.
Newbie, Jim.

That wouldnt be the House Of Sound in Springfield Missouri would it?

CONVERGENCE
06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
You're suggesting Iconics because they sound like L100s and play louder?

Does anyone have the L100 FR curve?

The "Acoustically equal" 4311 appears below.

Jim "would like something with a bit less mid range."

The Coverage angles of thr 604 in a 4 cubic feet cab is not calculated the same as the l1oo . I rather use frequency resp vs DB . The Iconic will give you 100 db w/m from 200 to 20 k .Which is efficient and Loud. Now there is a new XO with that also. Of course the voice coil is undehung ; What does it mean? well in the low frequency the voice coil remains within the magnets. Therefore better lows more efiiciency and better dynnamics.

THe cabinet used by Iconic is 6 cubic ft. and 9 cubic ft. therefore increasing the dynamic range, probably 104 db w/m and the frequency response is always eaven.

The Iconic 704 is rated at 75 watts. Your going to say : that is low.
Well yes and no.
Sound level increase by 3db eavry time the power of your amp doubles.
2w=3db
4w=6db
8w=9db
64w=18db

If he uses a 75 watt amp with his 75 watt speaker and turns on the level he will get 118 db at 1 meter.

To achieve the same results with JBL you will need a more powerfull amp.

.................................................. ...............
.................................................. ............................

hmmmshai_hulud
06-19-2006, 10:43 PM
That wouldnt be the House Of Sound in Springfield Missouri would it?
Van Nuys California on Victory Blvd.

glen
06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Newbie, Jim.

It's great that these speaker made such a great impact on you.
Could you tell us their serial numbers (of the drivers too, if you got `em)
We've got a thread going trying to link serial numbers and years here:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8792

Too bad they finally broke down on you, but nice to meet another victim of Lansing-itis,
Welcome!

Ian Mackenzie
06-21-2006, 07:22 AM
The L100 was voiced to be similar to Altec duplex monitors it replaced and was used closer to the console as I recall.

You might want to find some L100T if you want louder

hmmmshai_hulud
06-21-2006, 09:20 PM
It's great that these speaker made such a great impact on you.
Could you tell us their serial numbers (of the drivers too, if you got `em)
We've got a thread going trying to link serial numbers and years here:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8792

Too bad they finally broke down on you, but nice to meet another victim of Lansing-itis,
Welcome!

Sure about the serials #'s xcept for the L20's. They still have to orig cardboard covers that i've never seen on ebay for replacements(only foam). I'm not sure if i can take them off lol. ...after examining them it looks as if it's a sticker? I'll take some photos and post them & the serials in a day or two.

Thanks for the suggestion Ian on the L100T's.

Zilch
06-21-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure if i can take them off lol. ...after examining them it looks as if it's a sticker?Use a mirror or two from the inside....

Shane Shuster
07-01-2006, 11:28 PM
THe cabinet used by Iconic is 6 cubic ft. and 9 cubic ft. therefore increasing the dynamic range, probably 104 db w/m and the frequency response is always eaven.
I own the 9 cubic ft. version. They are 100db from 80hz on up measured with a Tact room correction system. They are mid range heavy speakers. A loudness button or EQ is a must. They dont have low bass and can be a little beamy. If you listen to pre 1980s music I think they are B+. Post 1980s C-.

hmmmshai_hulud
07-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Well, i just installed some 104h-2's. Wow. Much better. I think they over power the LE20's. The "spacey" high of the 20's doesn't mesh with the increased definition of the 104's. So, now that i want to replace the 20's i've decided to just build some customs. :applaud: Going to put the LE5's back and keep the Century's orig. The new Cab's will be L100. After much debate about getting "louder" or "bigger" i've decided that i'm out of adolescence. Going to purchase a genuine quadrophonic rec/pre, and amp up each set. We'll see if that floats me.
Found a TU-7700 for 20 bucks, but it doesn't work. :( Powers on, but no paydirt.
Does anyone know where i can pick up some of the walnut trim pieces needed to fix my pathetic excuse for grilles.
I also put a post of some foam fill in's i got on epay, seeing how Sonofagun doesn't check his PM's! ;)

This forum is awesome. You guys Rock!

sonofagun
07-11-2006, 03:31 AM
I do read my PMs - when I can find the time. Just too many things to do & not enuff hours in the day(?).

There shood be 3 - 4 of me to get 1/2 of what I need to get done! :banghead:

Hmmm... sounds like a good signature (for me anyway!). :blink: