PDA

View Full Version : Decided on spkrs

quindecima
06-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, theres no turning back now. It looks like the L300's are not going to happen. I just acquired a pair of 802-8g's for the Model 19 Altec's and have a line on the other components. After adding up what the L300's were going to cost with me making the cabs anyway the 19's seemed a good alternative although they are still not cheap. It looks like I will have to sell my backup 4311's to help defray the cost.

quindecima
06-13-2006, 08:22 AM
thanks Garyl for the info on 1201-8a xo's I am going to keep my eyes open for a pair. BTW I have the HF drivers and 811B horns now. I am proceeding much faster than I would with the L300's. :applaud:

garyl
06-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I think you have made an excellent alternative choice. I am not really sure how 19s stack up against L 300s but I do know most who have 19s are perfectly satisfied.

Again regarding the use of the 1201-8A XOs, check with some other members who know and understand the numbers. They are close but not exact replacments. 19s were designed for home use and had their own XO but I would be willing to bet a few minor changes in the 1201s could be made to match the specs.
I used the new Altec N 1500-8A in my 19 clones and I am pleasantly surprised at the performance with the 1500Hz cross point. I also think the diaphrams of the 802s are working a bit less when I get loud.

Please let me know if you ever find the exact specs for the 19 cabinets. I would enjoy another winter project and building some real 19 cabs would be a blast.

Gary

Earl K
06-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Quindecimal ;

- Here's Jim Easleys' rendition of the M19 network .

- As you can see, the N1201-8a is the Model 19 network .

- The N1209-8a is slightly different ( though modifiable ) & appears on EBay a bit more frequently than the N1201 .

- Stick with this network design for your M19 project. The closest JBL network to the N1201-8a would be the network found in the 4430 . Even there, there are enough important differences that would preclude me from using it. Forget the N1200 ( or N3120 ) , the necessary HF compensation for the 802-8G/811 combo just doesn't exist in these crossovers . JBLs'3120a network does have a form of HF compensation for the horn driver / though it's unlikely that it is properly optimized for an Altec driver.

- Personally, I'd recommend building your own networks before buying any of these ancient types ( which all have second rate parts in them ) . All the parts you need are available from Parts Express & maybe Madisound .

- If building with air-cored inductors, the layout of the coils is important. Mutual coupling between inductors happens when they get too close to each other . A couple of inches of separation between coils, and mounted at right angles to each others windings', will take care of this type of problem .

:)

garyl
06-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Great Info Earl!

When I was building my 19 clones I was faced with the same problem.
I could by either real 19 XOs at exhorbitatnt prices and then get them recapped or gone over by a competitant tech or try to locate 1201 and go the same route.
Other members made mention of the "Aincent Components" used in these and swayed me toward the New N 1500-8As.

I do wish I had the electronics ability to just build the 1201s as I would love to do it and judge for myself in my clones to see if I would hear a difference.

The drawing is probably as simple as it gets but for those of us who are electronically challenged it is baffeling.
I wish they made a kit for this like the old Heath kits from days past!
This could be a fun project and I will soon have a supply of the OEM knobs used on most of the Altec XOs as they are in production now!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gamalot/DSCN1281.jpg

Gary